PK skill development

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Loret

PK skill development

Post by Loret » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:03 pm

Hi, I'm going to make myself pretty vulnerable here but, I had spoken to some close friends of mine recently who I like to PK with (and against for that matter) and I asked for their opinions on some things. Most of it was how I could improve my pk skill set and what my strengths and weaknesses were. The feedback I got back surprised me a little bit, but it was really good feedback none the less and they're all things I have plans to work on. I started thinking and there might be more things out there, or maybe something I do well that I should keep pursuing. I'd be really open to tips, advice, and observations.

Two major things I was unaware of until I asked were:

1. I have a tendency to show up when people are low (perpetuating vulture culture)
2. I was playing too risk averse and not taking enough chances (I was told I was improving on this front lately, so I'm going to try and keep honoring that).

I'm going to try and take some more cognitive steps towards asking before showing up unannounced or jumping into the fray to curb #1, and #2 well, I think I'm on a good trajectory there so I'll just try and keep the pressure up and take more risks, find that balance.

I'd really like to hear from those that I pk with and against though, where they think I could use the most improvements, what my strengths are, and of course if there's some weaknesses or something that makes me a jerk to pk against I'd be interested in hearing about that too because my personal goal is to have a good time, make sure others around me are enjoying themselves and having fun, and just try and blow off some steam here. I absolutely love pk, and I'm at a plateau lately where I am interested in getting to the next level, but I'm kind of out of ideas as to how to get there or what I should work on, so figured I'd ask the game.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing what you have, good, bad, and in between. I'm not taking anything personally. Just trying to improve on what I got going on right now. Please feel free to reach out individually or here, thanks.

Rig

Re: PK skill development

Post by Rig » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:28 pm

1v1’s are dumb, and this is my biggest pet peeve in low numbers pk, but if you’re going to show up when someone is low (not you specifically, just generally) and not chase past blight/orch (for DS) or winding/dusty (for LS) then you’re just wasting everyone’s time and it’s very annoying. What happens is x low guy is going to run because you showed up healthy while they’re low, so they’re either going to run in or go further away to better mob support. At least chase and figure out which one it is, because real vulturing is not bothering after the fact if you didn’t get the kill.

I will probably yell at you if you show up unannounced if you’re just showing up to try and secure a low kill and immediately leaving if not. It messes up numbers for both sides more often than not, because then the other side should and will assume that the enemy gained another member. This leads people to adjust accordingly, for numbers that don’t actually exist. That’s pretty detrimental towards actual group pk and keeping things moving.

That is my PSA

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:43 pm

I think Rig's advice is great. If you have the numbers and someone is running low, push into their territory to keep the fight going. They're low anyway so you can take riskier hits/chases since they're unlikely to be able to turn around and chase you all the way back, and those can be really fun nail-biting fights.

A few other things I've had success with -- none of these are directed at you but just sort of my general advice:
- Sometimes people will leave in any lull in PK, generally while the other side is regrouping. Try giving it ~5 minutes and often things will restart, rather than giving it ~30 seconds and declaring PK dead
- Just have a positive attitude towards the other side. They are bitter enemies in-character but it's a game and sportsmanship goes a long way to helping others want to PK against you. Complaining loudly on narrates or yells about tactics/etc just turns people, including people on your own side, off. It's ok to have a gripe from time to time but move on quickly
- Be patient with your fellow PKers. Skill levels are wide and the skill ceiling is pretty high, and I see experienced PKers who are very comfortable sometimes get very frustrated with less skilled PKers not taking as many risks or pushing an advantage as much as they could. Everyone learns at their own pace, and you can encourage them to learn in a supportive way
- Be more comfortable taking more risks over time (and be comfortable dying to some degree). If you push yourself 1% harder in every PK session, that will compound over time.
- Reflecting on your PK log afterwards (especially while in the Circle) and focusing on what YOU could have done differently is super valuable. It's easy to blame others or factors outside your control, but I always find something in every log that I could have done better. Focusing on the factors in your control (ie, yourself) is the best way to improve
- Take time to help out others who are having a bad day or who just died. Having someone offer to help re-eq you helps get them back into the game, is almost always super appreciated, and also creates more things for people to do in the game. And people tend to pay it forward
- Don't be afraid to try new or unusual things. It's easy to fall into the same handful of setup or playstyles based on crowdsourcing popular advice. I've found some unusual (not always the most optimal) setups or styles that are fun and novel, and I generally learn something about the game trying them out for a while
- Don't overly rely on a client map. Staring at it or relying on it will get you killed. Practice learning the spams and rooms even outside of PK, which will help you chase and flee faster and more precisely when you are under pressure

Rig

Post by Rig » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:14 pm

Going to give another because I sat and thought about some of Bryan’s post for more than 20 seconds (I usually ignore his innate ramblings, of which I never have)

Comfortability taking risks as both a leader and follower is pretty important. I’m awful at it, because I often find myself not taking into consideration the skill level difference and how comfortable I am as opposed to people I lead. Or even those I pk against. Something I’m slowly working on.

Anyway, I think it’s important to push yourself and also push others to a degree, as Bryan said. This is the kind of thing that can be encouraged when being a leader by spending time afterwards helping people re-equip and offering gear to those who may have met a rather unfortunate end to their lives due to decisions you made in pk.

As a follower, it’s also important to push yourselves in these events, and recognizing that in the end, you might lose some pretty text gear, or bad text gear, but you will probably learn something. By learning, you’re going to start getting better, and start becoming more comfortable in those situations the more that you’re experienced in them. Dying is not the end all of your character. Everyone dies. I have Jasters/Fiddlers/Vaens/etc on my trophy. They’re good, but everyone dies eventually, because that’s RNG.

Harun

Post by Harun » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:17 pm

Picking up on Rig's comment: it's also important to reply when people ask whether you need them or not :P

If PK is already happening when I log on, I'll generally ask if I'm needed and it's about 50-50 whether I get a response. Sometimes I'll stay out and then my side gets wiped and PK is over before I can join; sometimes I show up and end up vulturing. Neither is very fun. Rig is very bad at responding and I assume it's usually because he's running multiple zones.

Audre

Post by Audre » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:14 pm

Being reliable and communicative are both important and if the royal you is running scripts or voiping with friends in pk you become terrible at both of these things.

If you’re an FC please don’t just show up without asking what’s going on.

If someone on your team dies, it doesn’t mean everyone has to go in.

Hitting mobs isn’t that scary and if you’re sitting there with even numbers consider smaller mobsets

Backing up three+ zones at a time wrecks the flow of pk and makes me wish moves had to be rationed more.

You can be fine and improve the way you move and chase using a map, you can’t improve if you rely on fast walk or auto-movement (travel, gate, etc). Work on your muscle memory.

Not everyone can play their FC at once. Consider group composition sometimes.

Dying can be fun.

Hackett

Post by Hackett » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:49 pm

Dying can be fun.

This really. Personally think death is the lifeblood of PK. Nothing worse than long pk session with no one dying.

This is why the ABS changes over the past couple of years i think have really helped pk. More ABS users equals more dying which equals more fun pk.

I love the chaos of group fights where everyone is low. Such good fun.

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:27 pm

Love that you said you also want the people you play against to have a good time. I feel like some players really don't care about that and it is what it is but then its not so great for everyone.

Anyhow if you've hit a plateau i think what helps us to play with and against players better than you, basically challenge yourself. You can only really set personal goals because there is so much variation in skill levels and situation. For instance don't look at winning or losing but how long you can hold up against someone much better. Like for me if vaen is chasing me and I last 2 minutes that's a win ;) it actually gets funner if you just have your own goals rather than whatever winning and losing criteria is set by the game.

The other bit of advice i have is that everyone is very very different. Fun means something different to each person. People don't always respect what is different, they look down on other playstyles because it isn't fun to play against. Or like soemone said skill level is not something everyone accounts for. So many times relaly great players get mad because you can't keep up. Other times mediocre players play in what is boring for you and you waste your time.

So keeping that in mind, really you do you. Do what is fun for you, not someone else. That has always been the recipe for success on this game i think. Don't try to have fun against everyone - be selective who you play against. Like i don't play against Draz because he has endless patience and I have close to zero. He wil chase for 5 years and I will lose interest in 5 seconds. That's just difference in personality. So recognise what is fun for you and do that. Doesn't matter if Rig thinks 1v1 is boring! It's only boring for Rig until he runs into a Scrat.

Also if possible play someone somewhat above your level or group situations that are somewhat challenging rather than something that is too easy or too hard - I always found that is the zone that hits the sweet spot of being fun, interesting and ultimately worthwhile.