Cows... can we have a talk about them?

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Tarn

Cows... can we have a talk about them?

Post by Tarn » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi friends,

There have been a number of times this week when lightside have been outnumbered and had to flee to ragan where darkside has decided to throw cows at them. This has occurred while people are crit and are legitimately a couple hits from dead and the cows could kill them in one hit. It essentially kills pk because LS no longer has a place they can run to when pk happens in blight. Furthermore there is no lightside equivalent so trollocs can hide in their fallback points like camp with impunity often during the same running PK. While I understand the argument that it keeps people from simply hugging patties, I would say well over half the time I see it used it just kills pk.

I'm not blaming anyone in particular here, or talking about one incident, I just think it is a really bad thing for balance. Can cows be removed?

Tarn

Scrat

Re: Cows... can we have a talk about them?

Post by Scrat » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:07 pm

In my opinion, both cows and archery are incredibly counter-productive for PK. When I see people on my side using them, I tell them to stop. If the enemy is using it against me, I don't stick around in the same zone.

Seaster

Post by Seaster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Yeah, terrible. Take them away!

Lykan

Post by Lykan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:57 pm

Scrat wrote:In my opinion, both cows and archery are incredibly counter-productive for PK. When I see people on my side using them, I tell them to stop. If the enemy is using it against me, I don't stick around in the same zone.
Agreed 100%.

Anything that produces a 0-risk, 0-effort means to do damage to the opponent from a distance is not conducive to pk. I feel like this is likely one of the chief reasons slings/bows etc weren't imped, but we lost sight of that over time and imped it with mobol :p

Chalk them up to an experiment gone wrong and take em out.

Zhai

Post by Zhai » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:20 pm

I agree. Just the other day I was beat blight and the trolloc I was fighting was wounded so I ran ragan orch only to have cows thrown at me instead of being hit at the patty.

eviscerator

Post by eviscerator » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Agreed. And emote damage from those leadable hounds. Emote damage from Seanchan mounts. All of these are examples of no risk no effort damage in PK implemented by someone who had no idea about the effect of it. Sure they may be neat but its real pain in the ass to PK against. Especially when Lykan sits crossroads and spam sends cows at me like he did yesterday!!!

Granted the Thiefbane or whichever clan leads those mobs probably needs that crutch and we all know Seanchan side as a whole is just a crutch to poor PKers but we need to let these people grow up and spread their wings eventually!!

Maybe that was me doing it to Kyr but regardless the argument stands.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Torm emote does 7 damage and not often unless more torm riders are in room.
DW horse only kicks channelers.
Raken is handheld

Wot r u on about sir?

ecthus

Post by ecthus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Did the cow get fixed recently? It's been in the game over a decade, but I feel like I haven't seen it in use until recent months.

It is kind of a funny feature, but it was implemented long before Ragan was in use and it doesn't make sense to have the cow interact with that room when Ragan is there, for all the reasons that have already been described.

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:57 pm

I feel like this can go both ways. Sure, humans sit at Ragan low and getting a cow thrown at you and killing you is annoying. But also some times while groups sit there with channelers and expect us to hit, and if we do hit and survive, channelers definitely have an easier time picking us off. In Zhai's case, were you low beat, or sittin a tic from batt beat? Serges near Kajin are one of the best mob sources to use besides a huge patty nobody likes hitting.

Also, there are Shady trees that nobody uses. You can be beat vs a wounded enemy and bring it down to even terms again pretty quickly using those mobs. Use a different tactic if one single spot isn't working for you.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:12 pm

When channelers can hit you from rooms away, they'll be relevant to bring up in a thread about cows.

Sitting at patrols rather than choosing a different spot to fight happens to every side and is done by every side. Nothing to see here, move along.