The Ultimate Betrayal.... (Is full log up until I died)

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Ominas

Re: The Ultimate Betrayal.... (Is full log up until I died)

Post by Ominas » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:37 am

Eldrenia wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 am
Honestly just ruined the experience for me. Anyone that runs with me knows that I have been super excited for this event on Eldrenia. From the mad dash to master and then the 2 months of waiting. Incorporating a darkfriends coming out quest into my master quest feeling kind of crappy. Yeah I got the title, big whoop. I was excited about the adventure I got to have with my friends. But instead of having a "great look what we did adventure", its tainted with a betrayal. I have enough negative emotions in my life without dealing with that in a game as well.

I do get that darkfriends are part of the game, but that kind of activity doesnt have to be. What we have had 4 other darkfriends come out in the past few months without ruining other players experiences in the game. The argument can be made that those were "boring", well make a "coming out" quest for them that doesn't involve trying to sabotage a master quest.

As the imms proved, they can be pretty creative. There were some really awesome aspects of that quest (not the ring firetruck that ring). So I am sure a quest can be written that doesn't incorporate another players major character event.

I do want to say thank you to everyone that did help and not throw a fireball at my face.
Yeah sorry imm. That quest was probably the most poorly thought out quest I’ve ever helped with. Putting the ending north of RK after making the individual go through tkd. I don’t know. Seemed short sighted. With the locations spotted the quest is burned. If it was done by design and set up to allow something like the above, you guys actually suck.

Chrissy

Post by Chrissy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:22 am

Penzei gets a pair of spectacles from the corpse of Dreadlord Tessmer.
Are we just NOT going to talk about the fact that this nerd was wearing glasses?

--

Two characters (both of who I enjoy interacting with) with opposing arcs colliding like this is rough to see. The way this played out was very memorable though, probably for both good and bad reasons. Such a cool sequence of events for Lissenet, but there's no way this could have played out the way it did without Eldrenia feeling like her master quest was ruined.

Maybe it would have been better for Lissenet to call a horde of trollocs into the Hall as she's being raised, or during a mobraid of Tar Valon. People would have died and felt betrayed regardless, but at least for receiving the shawl, Lissenet would already be the main character.

Geoff

Post by Geoff » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:51 am

Agreed with Ominas and Chrissy. Harsh to say, but this had “proposing at someone’s wedding” vibes.

Atkins

Post by Atkins » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:56 am

I don't get the bad feels personally. This was a quest where the location alone let the person doing it that there was a good chance of them being jumped. Embrace the chaos, this is the kind of thing that brings flavor and fun to the game. If chrissy or nevaeh had walked in throwing fireballs would you have felt better? This is one of those great mud moments in my mind so i'd embrace it.

Drybones

Post by Drybones » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:22 am

Lots of hard work over a long time, congratulations to both of you!

Was a chaotic series of events there. We were very surprised on DS when it happened, and it certainly looked like it caught LS by surprise based on the log. Interestingly, there wasn't any collaboration between DS and Lis on this one (afaik). We had just gotten back from hitting replicating maiden when we got a rat report. The whole who list just happened to converge in keep at the wrong moment for the offended party. Otherwise, I think it would have turned on the DF pretty hard. I agree with atkins. The LS group would have avoided a few surprise weaves had it been a dreadlord, but lots of ways that could have gone awry in the traditional way. Would have been exciting regardless of what side won, and personally I'd like to see a convergence of big events on the three sides more often. Definitely adds the hazard to the adventure any way :P

Kilgore

Post by Kilgore » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:26 pm

At first I was annoyed by the dark friend inclusion specifically from the mobs cause I thought it was coordinated, but the mob only gave her an RP excuse to declare herself which is nice. She’s been waiting for an opportunity to make her declaration matter which seems like a cool way to do character development.

I don’t think the imms did anything here to make it more difficult than necessary. You should have won this fight as well, but there was no coordination at all. Nothing against you, but a little communication and reassurance goes a long way.

If I was in your shoes I would be super annoyed especially after this took place. Hindsight is always 20/20 though. If the imm had made it so once she declared herself a df then two patrols loaded south of you and you were super trapped that would have been more than enough to side with you.

It is really cool when gameplay integrates into RP and allows the game to be dynamic with character choices. Unlucky that you were beat and 1. Tower and immediately died. Be happy that room was flagged outside and you could blow up the dread lord mob. I thought it was nice of her to yell twice, but all that spam made it hard to react in time for anyone other than her.

Overall really cool. I empathized a lot more with your frustrations on it before I got context around the bigger picture. If there was no coordination on DS then it was luck that they won and terrible luck that you died.

Callesa

Post by Callesa » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:55 pm

I'm glad I could come with you on this adventure, Eldrenia, even if it ended like this. You've earned this title more than anyone and I am sorry your quest had such a bitter part. Nobody saw it coming.

Truth be told, I missed a lot of the declaration in the spam, I just saw Lisennet suddenly fighting not one of us (that can sometimes be a badly timed typo) but then another!

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:31 pm

There might be 2 darkfriends - who kept the strength on her...?

Geoff

Post by Geoff » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:21 pm

I don’t understand how weaves work!

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:39 pm

Kilgore wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:26 pm
At first I was annoyed by the dark friend inclusion specifically from the mobs cause I thought it was coordinated, but the mob only gave her an RP excuse to declare herself which is nice. She’s been waiting for an opportunity to make her declaration matter which seems like a cool way to do character development.

I don’t think the imms did anything here to make it more difficult than necessary. You should have won this fight as well, but there was no coordination at all. Nothing against you, but a little communication and reassurance goes a long way.

If I was in your shoes I would be super annoyed especially after this took place. Hindsight is always 20/20 though. If the imm had made it so once she declared herself a df then two patrols loaded south of you and you were super trapped that would have been more than enough to side with you.

It is really cool when gameplay integrates into RP and allows the game to be dynamic with character choices. Unlucky that you were beat and 1. Tower and immediately died. Be happy that room was flagged outside and you could blow up the dread lord mob. I thought it was nice of her to yell twice, but all that spam made it hard to react in time for anyone other than her.

Overall really cool. I empathized a lot more with your frustrations on it before I got context around the bigger picture. If there was no coordination on DS then it was luck that they won and terrible luck that you died.
Pretty much this. Really neat seeing stuff like that, where player decision on both sides can effect an outcome. There’s plenty of games with predetermined outcomes due to choices you make and such, but not many games around that gives the ability to literally create the story around you.