The Ultimate Betrayal.... (Is full log up until I died)

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Aureus

Re: The Ultimate Betrayal.... (Is full log up until I died)

Post by Aureus » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:59 pm

Worth noting I wrote the quest, including incorporating Lisennet’s outing and betrayal (I thought she was likely to die or at least run away since it was set not to trigger until Tessmer was already low, but as Rig noted things can go any direction in a live game and I was aware of that fact). So any heat for not liking that bit can be directed my way, and not at Lisennet’s player (which I think most people understand but I’ve seen a little bit of). The decision was entirely mine. I didn’t give her a heads up about the specific moment or method of betrayal except that it would happen at some point, and nor did I solicit her input on it.

If you have criticisms, lob them this way.

guhadin

Post by guhadin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:00 pm

More or less agree with Kilgore. It's hard to think fast when your buddy betrays you and enemies roll in, but someone needed to start calling the shots, whatever it was: regroup, target X, get out. Just some form of communication. Especially because those zone are awful for channies running on foot, and doing so is more or less a death sentence if DS can track at all.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Looked fun.

If this truly played out Completely in character that would be neat.

It sounds like she knew before hand that she would have an opportunity to betray LS. If she coordinated with DS before the event/on messaging outside the game then that’s unfortunate. If she managed to alert DS while still with the group and while in character then that’s fantastic.

Jaghut

Post by Jaghut » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:00 am

dope story. sorry Eldrenia, cuz i know what you mean and can feel that totally. but this and your master quest should be infamous... in other words wotmud lore. few folks will forget this i would suppose.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:25 am

Is kind of ludicrous that anyone would give Lisennet any flak when she has done practically double the work of getting master Aqps (a grind in itself added dificulty remort interactions) plus being one rp log away from going up for sedai vote which is a ton of work (pk requirements, rp requirements, getting the tower aqps, her tower record is exemplary), a choice the player made that added visibility and complexity to a tower character. Yes sure we can all just play unknown DFS and farm our way to known, or cookie cutter tower accepted and curtsey our way to sedai. Lisennet decided to actually play the game which led to an actual interactive plot twist. This was not some no win scenario at all, it required some quick thinking and coordination which Masters can be expected to demonstrate. Eldrenia did not even not get master flag so the only gripe is losing out on an insular solo /friends experience? Frankly if you RP that you are badass sedai hunting DFs but have a problem with interacting with them in-game beyond narrating from clan room then there is such a gap between RP and what you do on the game that makes RP seem so flimsy. In RP terms she had no idea that Lisennet was a df which means Lisennet did such a great job of earning trust that she got herself a spot on the all-important master quest. Had there been any benefit to a DF sedai she would no doubt have got herself even higher on that end.

The imm has been every kind of nice to not only give your character an eventful storyline that another player who did a crap ton of work for their character (with a crap ton more risk) agreed to be a part of - waited a ton of time to let soemthing like this play out - and you still got to master despite not demonstrating some amazing pk leadership here. Not seeing how this isn't every kind of win here for everyone involved.

Geoff

Post by Geoff » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:08 am

isabel wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:25 am
and you still got to master despite not demonstrating some amazing pk leadership here.
Not one to cherry-pick quote too often, but it seems somewhat disconnected to posit that anyone could have demonstrated anything except dying in the 3 rounds between the dreadlord’s icy glare at Lisennet and getting fireballed dead by her 😛

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:10 am

I don’t think anyone is crapping on Lisennet and if anyone is they are wrong. I agree with you that they did a great job with the character and worked their way through the process very well. I have enjoyed the character. And enjoyed time with the player when not in character. I hope to continue to do so.

The issue I have personally, isn’t with Lisennet. It’s not even with the reveal. I think it was kind of cool. It’s how this quest was created and run. I’m taking issue with the imm themselves.

There is a time and a place. And the reveal took place at the wrong time and place. Maybe there was some miscommunication between the Imm and Eldrenia about what was expected. I have no idea. Nor do I really care.

It’s not a personal thing. I’ve worked well with this imm and enjoy their time and friendship. That isn’t changing. But criticism should be given when mistakes were made. Some are looking at this situation from a gameplay perspective. Some from a pk perspective. And some are looking at it from a personal perspective. As in what they would enjoy. Nothing wrong with any of that.

But when you look at it from a human perspective and more directly from the perspective of the one this all should have been about, Eldrenia, we have a problem here. This is their first master I believe? That’s special. I still think fondly about my first character that was mastered and how much that meant to me. None of my masters since have compared to that moment. Elysia really outdid herself. Though Ominas’s joint quest was pretty cool too.

Anyway, the problem here is that was taken away from the player. And that player will look at this experience as a shitty one that was, at the end, seemingly more about the emergence of a darkfriend, rather than their ascendence because of their -own- hard work. Hard to celebrate that flag don’t you think? Hard to climb out of that shadow and feel special.

I hope the imm puts more thought into these kinds of things in the future.

Food for thought from another perspective.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:28 am

I guess I don't see the either/or logic of this. Why can't it be eldrenia's day AND lisennet's reveal? We don't have finite quantities of congratulations or bonuses to hand out.

I'm at a loss to understand the mindset in which a double celebration is a bad thing. Like if Christmas and hanukkah are around the same time does it make either less ? Or does it actually bring more people together?

Stomp

Post by Stomp » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:02 am

Aureus wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:59 pm
Worth noting I wrote the quest, including incorporating Lisennet’s outing and betrayal (I thought she was likely to die or at least run away since it was set not to trigger until Tessmer was already low, but as Rig noted things can go any direction in a live game and I was aware of that fact). So any heat for not liking that bit can be directed my way, and not at Lisennet’s player (which I think most people understand but I’ve seen a little bit of). The decision was entirely mine. I didn’t give her a heads up about the specific moment or method of betrayal except that it would happen at some point, and nor did I solicit her input on it.

If you have criticisms, lob them this way.
worst imm ever, cool quest tho
Last edited by Stomp on Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:15 am

Geoff wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:08 am
isabel wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:25 am
and you still got to master despite not demonstrating some amazing pk leadership here.
Not one to cherry-pick quote too often, but it seems somewhat disconnected to posit that anyone could have demonstrated anything except dying in the 3 rounds between the dreadlord’s icy glare at Lisennet and getting fireballed dead by her 😛
Didn't read the combat rounds too closely but presumably it's not necessary to get that low I'd you're in danger zone! If itd a wizkill situation that sucks but that's a channie mob problem.

In theory it might be good if players can opt between simple and interactive master quests but wotmud doesn't work that way afaik. I can't go north and order a 1v2 abs/bash pk, hold the dreadlords and served with a half-pking-fade on the side.