The Power of the Dark Gifts

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Thore

Re: The Power of the Dark Gifts

Post by Thore » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:16 am

I just don't have time to do the math. I have a couple channels. I had to use quake in EF because of that one stone thing south of it or whatever. At one point that was about all I could use in that room. Granted I was not fighting channels since SS didn't have them at the time. But, what I did do, was spam quake. So I have the experience of typing "q" and hitting enter, over and over and over again... Is that not a generic definition of spamming quake?

Edit: I might actually have some time this evening to run the numbers. Got some s*** going on at home so I may be able to actually play... Unfortunately. I'd rather not be playing right now.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:24 am

I'm so confused.

Thore

Post by Thore » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:26 pm

isabel wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:24 am
I'm so confused.
About?

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:48 pm

Talasia wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:16 pm

I played with it a bit last year, and the high failure rate makes it worthless, like you say. Perhaps if it was made into an offensive weave that does 1 damage, it would solve the high failure rate and actually function as intended to counter things like quake, without being OP as an even shorter offensive weave. Still uses your sps, but might make an interesting weave to throw into channie fights to disrupt the opponent's tempo.
I think it's a good idea, but I think if you had a 1 damage weave on the shortest timer it'd be too easy for a mediocre fc to just nullify great fc's purely by spamming that weave. Those good fc's would be forced to use the 1 damage weave to break timing but would'nt be able to switch to damage weaves or they'd be interupted.

Personally I feel nothing should be shorter than FS. Quake is great for outnumbered situations but it shouldn't be unbreakable timing - if someone could ponr flamestrike at the same time as the person quaking (if they were to do it perfectly) then they'd be able to force dreadlords to choose between HP and dealing damage rather than letting them quake with impunity.

You could still use quake as a defensive weave when getting behind in an channeler vs channeler fight cause you can flee off and dline quake so they can't chase into your room or you gain tempo.

One of the best things I've experienced in this game is channeler vs channeler pvp because the damage is so high and it's high skillcap, you get behind and you pay quickly. I feel if quake had the same timer as flamestrike it would increase the skill required for people to dominate 1vx, as you'd need to outweave them harder.

Eol

Post by Eol » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:03 pm

If you want someone to blame for earthquake then blame me.

Part of the reason earthquake came into existence was terribly misguided FC wilders who were desperate for a fast attack weave. I never know why things change when they do, but somehow coding changes were happening and I personally was like - ohoh, I'm about to have a fast attack weave. I wasn't alone in it and obviously it took a coder to make it happen, but the initial implementation was one of excitement. There were a lot more wilders then. I don't recall there being a discussion of just how fast it should be, but a lot of FCs saw it as an upping. Players were excited.

However, the second it was implemented it was imo IMMEDIATELY clear that it was a huge mistaken. It is at least 1 pulse too fast. And that's where wotmud gets painful. Itesh revising things is like the first time I can remember someone actually saying - this ain't right, let's try again. Earthquake being wrong was as clear as the first round of warrior absorption being wrong. Sadly, not only is coding limited, but revision coding is even more limited. Its like people code something and then they go on vacation.

I think Skurk is mostly hitting good points above.

Obviously if there is any justice in the world Jestin and Mikhan's jobs will force them to transfer somewhere with unreliable slow internet. I think they both know how powerful earthquake is. The unfortunate truth is most spells, while less blatant, are over the top. If you only gave these guys ice spikes they'd still win the majority of the time because they know direct damage >>> the unrealiability of other skills most of the time. This spell is broke but in general the whole channeler class is flawed.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:52 pm

"spells"

Thore

Post by Thore » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Skurk wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:48 pm
Talasia wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:16 pm

I played with it a bit last year, and the high failure rate makes it worthless, like you say. Perhaps if it was made into an offensive weave that does 1 damage, it would solve the high failure rate and actually function as intended to counter things like quake, without being OP as an even shorter offensive weave. Still uses your sps, but might make an interesting weave to throw into channie fights to disrupt the opponent's tempo.
I think it's a good idea, but I think if you had a 1 damage weave on the shortest timer it'd be too easy for a mediocre fc to just nullify great fc's purely by spamming that weave. Those good fc's would be forced to use the 1 damage weave to break timing but would'nt be able to switch to damage weaves or they'd be interupted.

Personally I feel nothing should be shorter than FS. Quake is great for outnumbered situations but it shouldn't be unbreakable timing - if someone could ponr flamestrike at the same time as the person quaking (if they were to do it perfectly) then they'd be able to force dreadlords to choose between HP and dealing damage rather than letting them quake with impunity.

You could still use quake as a defensive weave when getting behind in an channeler vs channeler fight cause you can flee off and dline quake so they can't chase into your room or you gain tempo.

One of the best things I've experienced in this game is channeler vs channeler pvp because the damage is so high and it's high skillcap, you get behind and you pay quickly. I feel if quake had the same timer as flamestrike it would increase the skill required for people to dominate 1vx, as you'd need to outweave them harder.
To your last point, I think one of the best things you can experience in the game, while there are two, but the first is class A versus class A one versus one player killing. Then the second best thing you can experience is class A versus class B one versus one player killing. Repeat through all of the iterations of that and then start considering what is good and bad, or powerful or weak, etc. It's kind of eye-opening. Do some tests, have two classes stand next to each other and fight toe-to-toe without bashing or without attack, then with attack, then with bashing, then wimpy, then brave, then berserk, you get the idea... You'll learn a lot that way. I would learn a lot, I intend to do it a little bit here and there. Especially because there's plenty of time when there's no actual good PK so why not?