Zone knowledge guide

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Ragyn

Zone knowledge guide

Post by Ragyn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:21 am

Velor's post made me think that it would probably be a good thing to have something for new players or new PKers to look at. I wrote up a couple zones with their callouts etc. some time ago for a couple other new PKers. Could be this should be in the newbie area/player's lounge, or once we've made an outline of all the zones we can sticky it here.

Figured we could all chip in with different zones if we find some spare time to write them up. Idea was we'd start by focusing on northern zones, since that is where PK usually happens, but we could also expand on southern zones. If you do write up some zones or have things you want to add to a zone, I guess either post here or mail me and I'll update the original post with your stuff.

I think the idea is mainly just to highlight the chokepoints and call out references, maybe include a small paragraph on what to do if you're blocking or trying to get past a block, which dline is good which isn't - I think I did that in some of the call outs, but not consistently.

In any case I'll get us started. These are the most common chokepoints/callouts for Dusty, Winding, Gap, Blight

Dusty:

Most call outs all have a reference point, so it is a good idea to be familiar with all the call outs, since people will often call on "direction reference point".

1n/2n: These refer to 1 north and 2 north of the Malkier gate. These will generally be the block spots for people preventing Humans from running in Malkier.

2n 2e/2w: Malkier gate, also known as "malk", is usually the spot that is referred to for these call outs. 2n2e means 2 north and 2 east of the Malkier gate. This room opens up north to the LS support mobs(Kajin area). 2n2w refers, like 2n 2e, to the room 2 north and 2 west of Malkier. This room is also a good place to block for people who are trying to get into Fal Dara. South of this room opens up to the "open forest" area, generally referred to as cave area, because of the "dusty caves".

Burnt: Roomname called "Burnt Wagons", it is located 2n 2w 2n 1w of Malk. This room, like 2n 2e, leads north into "Kajin area". Callouts generally refer to Burnt, same as malkier. So you will often hear "On direction Burnt".

3n Burnt: Refers to the room 3n of burnt. It is the first room with an "east" exit, it is the spot to block for people trying to flee south to burnt, as the room has 3 exits, so lesser chance of them getting a south flee.

Dusty fence/6n burnt: Dusty fence or just fence(not to be confused with Camp Fence) is 6n of Burnt, it has a door to the west and dismounted room to the north, meaning it can be a nasty room to get caught if you are riding a horse. The exit to the north leads into "ragan tower", where the dodge practice is.

2e fence/2s pittrap: refers to the room 2e of Dusty fence. This room opens up to a path north leading to "pittrap".

Pittrap: Pittrap located 2e 2n of fence is a door that leads down to a rideable 1 exit room, it usually has a couple soldier mobs in there, but they wander out if the door is open. Pittrap is generally also used as a reference point, so people will often call "on XX pit/pittrap".

Nomob: As the name suggests this room is a Nomob room, meaning that mobs will not wander into it. It is located 3s 1w of Pittrap and is usually a regroup point by DS if they are not beaten back completely.

Campsite: Campsite is located 3e of nomob, it is a box of 4 rooms all called campsite, but the call out campsite is the choke point 3e of nomob. This is a good place to block as well for anyone who is trying to get out of "Kajin area". The path south is a straight line that leads to 2n 2e(of malkier).

4w burnt/2n woods: This room is 4w of burnt, or 2n of woods, it is a good block spot for people trying to run west.

Woods: it is located 4w 2s of burnt and is a rideable door with a couple bear mobs inside.

Cave: Cave connects dusty zone with "dog zone" - the zone just outside dog gate/west of fal dara. The cave connects the two zones through a couple doors, trapdoor/dirtpatch. The cave is located 2e 2s of woods and is also used as a reference point, ie "on XX cave"

6w: Refers to the room 6w of burnt, this is a usual block point for people trying to prevent someone from going east on the dusty road. It is a 4 exit room so smaller chance of someone getting the east flee they need to get into Fal Dara or run winding if that is their goal.

4e: this room is 2n 4e of Malk and is similar to 6w, it is the choke point stopping people from running west to Fal Dara.

Winding:

Winding refers to the zone that connects dusty with Gap.

Neon: Located 5e 1n of 4e, this is the first choke point that is blocked to prevent people from running west, the second choke point is 4e.

South ancients: Located 6e of Neon this room has two ancient trees which will aggro against DS and is a nice fallback in low numbers PK to even the odds out.

Commander/commie: Stationary LS patrol, it is located 4e 2n 1u of Neon. This is a common regroup spot for LS. It is also a reference point.

South Shiverings/Shivs: Located 3n 1e of commander this room has two shivering trees which will aggro LS, so it is similar to the ancient trees of south ancients.

Choke/south choke: It is located 2e 2n 1e of commander and is the first choke point, second choke point is 1n 1e of that room, but they are both commonly refered to as choke/south choke. The room is a good place to block to prevent people from running north.

Choke/north choke: Located 2e 3n of south choke, this choke is to prevent people from running south. They are both refered to as choke in PK, so it depends on your group trying to prevent people from running south or north.

CTF(capture the flag patrol): Located 3n of north choke point, it consists of 3 mobs that are either DS or LS friendly, depending on who has last "captured" them. The patrol changes allegiance if you kill all the mobs, scalp the "leader", and drop the scalp in room.

North ancients/top trees: located 4w 4n of CTF this room has two ancient trees like south ancients

North shiverings/shivs: Located 1s 3e of CTF this room has two shivering trees, much like the southern shivering.

Split: Located 1e 1n 2e of the north ancient call out, this room is used to block people from running north.

Asaw: Located 1n of split, this room is used to block people from running south.

Brigs/brigands: Located 2s 1e of North Ancients, it leads into a couple rooms that end in a dead end.

Gap:

MT(Master Torturer): Located 4e 4n of asaw, it is a place to block for people running north. It leads to the MT smob to the east. The doorname is "passage". Opens up to a dismount room, so if you are mounted be aware that it is generally wiser to close passage before attempting to flee. If blocking then open the door. This will either give you a chance to catch a trolloc inside the door or if you're fighting a mounted character for them to fail their flee.

Kural: Located 2w 3n 3w 1n of MT, the area between Kural and MT is sometimes refered to as "kno" as it used to have a kno'mon trolloc patrol, but this was removed.

Bush: 2n of MT, has a rideable door to the west called Bush, east of Bush leads to wastelands/lockshear/Ko'bal keep and the room is a good secondary block to MT, either to prevent people from going north or south.

OTG(Outside Tarwin's Gap): Located 7n of bush this choke point is great for blocking for either people going north or south. The passage to the east and west both lead to dead ends.

PTG(Path to Tarwin's Gap): located 1n/2n of OTG, usually block 1n of otg to prevent people from running south.

Ragan/Ragan gap: Located 1n 2e 1d of OTG, has a LS friendly patrol, the patrol alternates between Gap and Orchard zones, so sometimes the room is empty.

Cave/gap cave: Located 1u 1e of Ragan, it is a set of dismounted rooms that either leads to "goat", a patrol of goat faced trollocs or it can lead to North Lockshear zone, commonly refered to as "N LS".

Blight:

1n fhills: This room is located 3n 1w of OTG, or 1n of Foothills, the room has 2-3 weak blighted trees.

Orch ent(Orchard entrance): This room is located 1w 1n of 1n fhills. The room connects Blight with Orchard zone, and is usually the block to prevent people from going into orchard.

1n ent: 1n of orchard entrance, this room is blocked to prevent people from going further north into blight.

All n gap: All north of gap or 2e 1n of 1n ent. This room has a couple stronger blighted trees and is a one exit room

Goat: Goat faced trolloc patrol, located 1s 1e 1s of "all n gap", it is a good fallback for trollocs who are blocked off from Blight.

Downer: Located 4n of orch ent, this room has a down exit that connects to Stedding Zone.

Shoulder: located 2n 2e of Downer, used to block people from going further north

Neck/Nw shoulder: located nw shoulder, second choke point.

All w elbow: Located 1n 1w 2n 1w 1n of shoulder

Path: Located 3n of "all w elbow" this room connects to stedding to the west and has a door "path" that connects to blighted tunnels.

Rock: Located 2e of "all w elbow", this room has a door down that leads into a dismount room.

Elbow:Located 5e of "allw elbow"

3n/4n elbow: the choke points north of elbow.

3n1e/Rc ent/rc: This room is 3n 1e of elbow and connects blight to the Ruined City zone, it is a bad place to get stuck, especially for humans.

Edit: For a list of zones with pictures of the map you can go to this site http://wotmud.info/zones/
Last edited by Ragyn on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Razhak

Re: Zone knowledge guide

Post by Razhak » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:53 am

IAlways needed to visualise things when I started out:

Dusty: is a big T with a small box sitting on top of the T
Winding: is a big 8, where the bottom left connects to dusty and the top to gap.
Gap: is a big mirrored L where the bottom left connects to winding and the top connects to Blight
The combination of Fblands and DF are basically 3 squares where the bottom square (fblands) connects at the top left corner to the bottom right corner of the middle square (camp area) to the bottom left corner of the top square (DF)

Theid

Post by Theid » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:55 am

This is an excellent Zone Knowledge post.

Mariko

Post by Mariko » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:56 am

You sent that to my first char and using it I was able to get the basics down. I still suck but at least I know a little more than I did

Lyren

Post by Lyren » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:02 pm

Most of these, and more, are listed on wotmud.info - originally mostly taken from wotmud.org

When I get a chance, I'll update with these though as they are pretty nice. Feel free to comment directly on the site to update as well.

Ragyn

Post by Ragyn » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 am

Ah didn't know there already was a list. Is that stickied anywhere? Might be useful to have posted somewhere.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:38 am

Great post Ragyn. Can we have this stickied?

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 am

Ragyn wrote: Choke/south choke: It is located 2e 2n 1e of commander and is the first choke point, second choke point is 1n 1e of that room, but they are both commonly refered to as choke/south choke. The room is a good place to block to prevent people from running north.

Choke/north choke: Located 1e 3n of south choke, this choke is to prevent people from running south. They are both refered to as choke in PK, so it depends on your group trying to prevent people from running south or north.
In mapping this out either south choke is off by one space, or north choke is off. If I start at south choke I have to go 2e then 3n to get to north choke.

I think. Unless south choke is 2e 2n and 2e of commander. Then north choke instructions work.

Ragyn

Post by Ragyn » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Good catch I'll update, if you find any other misspams let me know, am sure there are a couple.

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Having an issue with Blight. It starts to fall apart with shoulder / neck and beyond. Posted map on discord, was told map was good. Can you look at it?