Guard duty is never boring...

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Kryyg

Re: Guard duty is never boring...

Post by Kryyg » Sun May 12, 2019 8:16 pm

This has been the goal for some of us for many years and I would strongly disagree. Best part about this game was there are no safe rooms.

Arkan

Post by Arkan » Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 pm

As it currently is, it is not safe. But it is very tough. You cannot kill everyone in any room in every situation. This room is just extra difficult. Plenty of humans have been killed in that room and DS gotten out.

guhadin

Post by guhadin » Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Always hated this door since hitting for someone’s fade quest and having to wait 30-40 for door to unlock randomly. Locking is okay, but mobs in locked doors should really load a key, or the time should be reduced to shorter than people can idle out in.

Theid

Post by Theid » Sun May 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Everyone gets annoyed when they die to something they weren't expecting whether it be a Sedai Pair of mobs in a door you didn't know existed, or a bush near Fal Dara.

This case was not dieing, but not being able to out smart the system that annoyed at least 1 vocal player.

Mobol Mechanic won over Game Mechanic. Pure and simple.

Taziar doesn't deserve any of the blasting or cussing out he's received. The guy played fair, pked outnumbered rather than sit at the King at Healthy and Rig thought he had Taziar and the system outsmarted with a Mob Rip vs a Player Rip. In the end Rig was outsmarted by Taziar's use of a secret Rising Sun mobol in combination with a locked room door and that's that.

I say good job to everyone involved and we're all smarter today for it.

Also this brought to light a fix that was neatly implemented by the Immortals. So all in all a win for the Game and Player Base as a whole, moving forward.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun May 12, 2019 9:39 pm

guhadin wrote:Always hated this door since hitting for someone’s fade quest and having to wait 30-40 for door to unlock randomly. Locking is okay, but mobs in locked doors should really load a key, or the time should be reduced to shorter than people can idle out in.
Prior to today, the Cairhien throneroom would unlock between 8 and 16 minutes, IF you killed the King. If the King wasn't killed, that'd usually be a case of someone porting in and killing the fade questers. We hadn't thought of the concept of removing all, dropping all and dying to mobs (shock horror).

I put in a temporary fix which means the door will always open between 8 and 16 minutes, but it has the message of the door unlocking even if it wasn't locked, so I'll have to go back when I have some time this week.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun May 12, 2019 9:46 pm

What I don't understand is the level of indignation around this (which only happens in one room not in a main PK room) and not this which is far more a feature of North PK:

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=10223

You do things tactically right
You kill the other player by playing better
Then you die / lose your eq because of a completely stupid game mechanic

This very same thing is always laughed off / dismissed by several DS players when it actually has all the elements of what happened here.

I agree that there should be a key inside because when you take risks and do the work you should win and not lose. And it sucks that any player who played better feels screwed over. But how is this situation so much more rage inducing than all the other stupid game mechanics out there that screw you over even when you do the work and win? Why is looking at this room repop more important than changing something that affects every single win against a fade?

And also how this situation and Rig's anger is somehow more important, justifies giving Taziar dung about stuff, but if someone else had been rage quitting or yelling at another player for inkies or some other equally stupid thing then it would just be laughable? You would just say danger mud and so on.

I also like Rig and don't want him to quit obviously but I don't think this is an exceptional situation at all. And that's unfortunate because we should all hate mechanics like this. But that's the culture of this game which many of you have actively and vocally contributed to :p
Last edited by isabel on Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Sun May 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Theid wrote:Everyone gets annoyed when they die to something they weren't expecting whether it be a Sedai Pair of mobs in a door you didn't know existed, or a bush near Fal Dara.

This case was not dieing, but not being able to out smart the system that annoyed at least 1 vocal player.

Mobol Mechanic won over Game Mechanic. Pure and simple.

Taziar doesn't deserve any of the blasting or cussing out he's received. The guy played fair, pked outnumbered rather than sit at the King at Healthy and Rig thought he had Taziar and the system outsmarted with a Mob Rip vs a Player Rip. In the end Rig was outsmarted by Taziar's use of a secret Rising Sun mobol in combination with a locked room door and that's that.

I say good job to everyone involved and we're all smarter today for it.

Also this brought to light a fix that was neatly implemented by the Immortals. So all in all a win for the Game and Player Base as a whole, moving forward.
This. I'm glad the vocal player(s) got this out of their system, but Taziar didn't deserve this by any means. Sorry Rig, you had a plan, you didn't know about something else, and so you lost out. PDW, move along.

Kind regards,

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Sun May 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Inkies are really stupid also, we should fix them too :)

I'm not sure who was really angry at Taziar besides Rig. And by tomorrow Rig won't be mad at him either after he has a chance to cool down.

The more screwed up things we fix about the game the better imo. No reason to not fix something just because a lot of other things are messed up.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Sun May 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Jestin is building his case to have gate defenses removed.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 am

If gate defenses were removed who would kill me in FD?

But seriously remove them they're retarded.