Newbie Dreadlord Being A Bully

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
iria

Re: Newbie Dreadlord Being A Bully

Post by iria » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:35 pm

It is all situational, but changing target can be fine especially in larger group fights, keeps everyone on their toes. Sometimes people get very focused on one target, who is fleeing in and out, dodging weaves, they end up losing the fight. Also always good to keep a track of your SPs and your targets HPs. If you're fullish on SPs, you can afford to throw some weaves at other targets, if you're getting low on SPs, try to target people who are lowest to make them break - if they think they are now being targeted they're likely to flee sooner than they otherwise would have, allowing your group to win the fight, but keep enough SPs to deal with the enemy channeler.

In this case you were likely hardpressed to beat Rig in any case since you didn't have your shorter weaves practiced, but if you assume he is likely to re-enter I would keep focus on the Dreadlord. Alternative is once your weave has completed on your secondary target, you flee yourself, to dodge Rig's weave, then try to re-enter targetting Rig again. All very situational, but it isn't wrong to weave another target if you assume your primary isn't coming back right away. As long as you keep your SPs strong enough to deal with your primary target.

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:34 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean you messed up Verne. I just meant Rig made a mistake (re-entering into spike timer at crit) that could have got him killed but he got away with it. For a second his life hung in the balance, and so - eeek.

fiddler

Post by fiddler » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Rig's life is always hanging in the balance when he gets up from wherever he has passed out.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:52 pm

verne wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 pm
my limited experience has been that they often flee off and dont come back when really low, so ive been in the habit of swapping targets and weaving someone else and if the weave is already almost done when they come back in then i finish it, otherwise i swap targets back mid-weave. I can see how in this situation they are going to come back in so it now makes sense i shouldve been expecting it and spamming it, but in a larger group pk is that still the best strategy?
In bigger group pk name targeting is very often better than dark or engaged target, dark will target most recently entered room(sometimes good if you know low people are leaving and coming back) rather than biggest threat or lowest health.
A a channeler in group pvp your hopeful engagement is on a shortblader that can't break your def instead of a basher, when you're on that target it's rarely the actual first priority target you want to weave on.

If you know names before entering the pk it's good to have a couple set up as priority targets, targeting well mid fight takes some practice.

verne

Post by verne » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:07 am

Detritus wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:52 pm
verne wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 pm
my limited experience has been that they often flee off and dont come back when really low, so ive been in the habit of swapping targets and weaving someone else and if the weave is already almost done when they come back in then i finish it, otherwise i swap targets back mid-weave. I can see how in this situation they are going to come back in so it now makes sense i shouldve been expecting it and spamming it, but in a larger group pk is that still the best strategy?
In bigger group pk name targeting is very often better than dark or engaged target, dark will target most recently entered room(sometimes good if you know low people are leaving and coming back) rather than biggest threat or lowest health.
A a channeler in group pvp your hopeful engagement is on a shortblader that can't break your def instead of a basher, when you're on that target it's rarely the actual first priority target you want to weave on.

If you know names before entering the pk it's good to have a couple set up as priority targets, targeting well mid fight takes some practice.
right, so what i am asking is assuming I am already doing that and the target i want is coming in and out of the room a lot of the time, and doesnt always come in right away, and might leave for the rest of the battle. So if the target I want is out of the room (and may or may not be out completely) when should I be spamming for him, and when should i be weaving a second target? this wasnt a case of weaving unnamed and hoping for the best, it was a case where i started weaving a separate target while waiting for him to come back and and was 2 pulses away from finishing the ice spikes so i just finished.

Weir

Post by Weir » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:05 am

It really depends on the situation and the person you are focusing. Sometimes, battles can be lost because you focus too hard on one target, and you essentially remove your damage from the fight while trying to weave them and not people actively fighting. Other times, not waiting to focus that target as they re-enter can cause you to eat a bash/weaves for free, etc.

It can be hard to get right. In low numbers like this, short of a stab Anansi cannot kill you quickly, so you should only ever be focusing Rig. In large numbers PK, you have to take each situation individually, but know what resources your side has too. If you have multiple channelers, sometimes you just leave 1 focused on a specific target and anyone else can just dish out damage wholesale.