Borderland banned gear change

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Benito

Re: Borderland banned gear change

Post by Benito » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Reyne wrote:I dunno, I like it. Saying the Lancers should enforce it is all well and good but maybe the Lancers were consulted and agreed to this and either way that's easier said than done when there isn't always a Lancer around and people are unhappy with the cost to exchange at a merchant.

I do think the exchange should be cheaper or free - seems to be a very common complaint.
Lancers were not consulted.

It was far easier to enforce with the free exchange, when no one had an excuse to not instantly exchange dark gear at either weary or figure.

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Elysia wrote:Elodin and Feneon were saying "players should police this". And they were right. Only players aren't policing this and with some trolloc clans getting a perk, the bonuses gained from wearing dark eq exceeded the standard trinket equivalents. Combine that with north pkers being the most prolific wearers of dark eq and Borderguards repeatedly being seen turning a blind eye even with guard mobs yelling their lungs out...

We -want- players to police themselves. Reality is that players are absolutely abysmal at policing themselves, especially when some direct or indirect gain is involved. This is the milder version of the mobol, at least for most players. The original idea was to have mobol issue a warning first and then start docking qps, however, I am a "start small" kind of person. Perhaps what was put in is sufficient, perhaps not. We can always review at some point in the future.
This is a bit unfair from my perspective. Whenever I've been on I always told players to remove it when I heard guards yelling and did a bit of RP around this etc. I only stopped doing that when they changed the weary to charge for exchanges. I feel it just penalises people who don't want to farm cash, or for whom it's not so easy (aka don't play stabbers, don't do smob runs etc).

I mean ask yourselves, what is the purpose of Roleplay? Is it to enhance of detract from fun? You have some concept of being 'lazy' - like 'don't be lazy, go Tear and get bloodstocks' - yeah sure, we can do that and it is doable. But is it the most fun way to spend time on this game when there is so much more that is funner?

I would say, if we all really care about RP - make the weary free.

On a side note, people didn't cover their heads in Shienar. Should we throw people in jail for wearing head gear? Just throwing this in as an example for how meaningless and random RP requirements can be. We have to tailor RP to what is ACTUALLY FUN on the game else it's pointless 'grinding'.

Annalise

Post by Annalise » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Not a fan of this change. It really should be up to Lancers to enforce.

Also the free trinket exchange should come back. The cost is exorbitant. I understand that at the time imms were looking for a way to sink gold. With treasury, players now have a legitimate place to spend it.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:46 pm

People weren't doing it back then either, which is when Elo/ Fen plus other imms had the discussion about players having to enforce their own laws wrt dark eq, and that was before clan trinkets were made unexchangeable in the first place. Essentially, people have been and are bending over backwards to find reason not to enforce their own laws and making up "valid" rp excuses as they do so. Now, for standard items, oh well, it's an rp issue. Not a big enough deal for us to intervene on. For these items with extra perks, that becomes a balance issue and for consistency, we included the standard clan trinket equivalents.

As for the "it's a game" argument: name one player in this game who can do exactly what they want, when they want it, a 100% of the time. There are obvious benefits for the game at large that players of various clans and interests mingle, nor is it a bad thing to have players move about the map to do things, as opposed to sitting afw somewhere, as is so often the case. Plus those who have an easier time making money can always deposit at treasurers for their clanmates' benefit.

granit

Post by granit » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:22 pm

punish the borderguards for doing a bad job or give thiefbane more jurisdiction so they have a real job :lol:

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:00 pm

nvm this is unnecessary.

Would love if weary could be free, but up to you guys of course.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:46 pm

isabel wrote:Okay Elysia, if that is the version - why didn't those imms post and flag it for us? I don't think anyone was even aware of it as an issue.
For one, as a member of the Lancers, it's your job as it's in your laws. For another, with the new badges, it became a balance issue. As a whole, there is too much nudge-nudge-wink-wink and letting things slide going on and this was no different.
isabel wrote:What purpose does it serve? And whose interests are being served by this weary cash thing? IT's the farmers who have cash to burn, not the regular pkers.
You are so hung up on the time "lost" making cash issue that you are not seeing the bigger picture: with pkers needing cash for exchanges, as well as the need for cash in general, there will be some who are more inclined to turn in items to the collector, which equals an eq sink. If you, personally, value retaining items more than exchanging them for cash, go make some money and swap them for their base equivalent.

More eq sinks equals more room to load these items on smobs, making smobbing more worth it, which impacts other players' fun on %. This in turn will lead to a greater yield for samesiders, Seanchan and raiding DSers, and what is looted by the latter ultimately flows back to LS north pkers. It's the ciiiiircle of life (and death). For much the same reasons, other eq sinks were added and it's why we're enforcing the mendbug abuse. If there's a steady outflow, we can facilitate a steady inflow. Case in point: I will be loading a rare this weekend. There will be rares leaving the game sooner or later, and there are already a bunch of them that have been turned into treasurer. Previously, I would have needed to run a global quest just to be able to load one. Now I can just do it for the heck of it.

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:00 pm

I see the bigger picture now :D

Thank you for explaining.

Iskveri

Post by Iskveri » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:19 pm

In ye olden times, RP was taken more seriously.

Doyn would have just possessed an NPC guard, narrate how you were a darkfriend for using a scythed sword (a trolloc sword), declan you and warrant you.

Ah, good times...

Player enforcement has almost always been a joke. Killing Borderguard, Aes Sedai, Warders, etc usually ends up scoring you dark gear much of the time.

To be honest, it doesn't even seem to be worth complaining about. A 5 minute time out and apparently it doesn't even take the contraband off you? (At least by the sound of the announcement.) Oh noes, what a tiny inconvenience...

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:07 am

Maybe we should just make them not wearable by LS. Except dsrkfriends.

Make a trinket worth 1 qps to turn in. Or 5 tps.