splitting in pk

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
werf

splitting in pk

Post by werf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:28 am

Perhaps it's time to go back to a simpler time seeing as how gear is fairly plentiful and greed is on the decline. I think it's time to cap it all off by moving towards this train of thought when splitting gear from pk. Gear up the people in your party that will actually use the gear on that alt first.

example 1: a group of 2 rogues, 2 warriors, and an fc kill a full dodge rogue with a perfect set and dirks.

The rogues get first dibs on rolling for the dirks. The warriors and FC do not, it's between the rogues unless the FC really wants to go stab and even then she's still last in that pecking order if the rogues want to roll on it instead.

Dodge trinkets should be divied out to the loser and anyone else in the group until things are redistributed based on who can actually use the gear, and not someone just looking to score stuff for alts.

If you're not going to use it, right now or reset immediately for it - You don't get to roll.

Gear the people that plan to use it right now. If Justice is recovered, someone who uses lblades or willing to reset immediately to lblades should be the one that gets first dibs.

thoughts? :)

Khahliana

Re: splitting in pk

Post by Khahliana » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am

So by people you mean characters because many people have multiple characters which you may or may not know. I fully agree, and most players do so, with gear the dead first. After that, every player involved has a right to go in for the split.

Lea

Post by Lea » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 am

Splitting by need/use is simpler and better. Would be great if LS adopted this rather than the usual dice rolls.

Shimu

Post by Shimu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am

Play DS, that is how it is done there. LS splitting is just awful, you have the people who do the whole "I died on my alt 10 min ago, I need this".

Enok

Post by Enok » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am

Shimu wrote:Play DS, that is mostly how it is done there. LS splitting is just awful, you have the people who do the whole "I died on my alt 10 min ago, I need this".
I agree, but with that small correction.

Melayna

Post by Melayna » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 am

eh isn't that just re-eqing the dead? The guy who died chose to alt to another character to keep PK going. Same as if I die on my trolloc and alt to my remorts and we get a set that matches the one I lost I'd ask for it to re-eq the dead.

Pounds

Post by Pounds » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:32 am

werf wrote:Perhaps it's time to go back to a simpler time seeing as how gear is fairly plentiful and greed is on the decline. I think it's time to cap it all off by moving towards this train of thought when splitting gear from pk. Gear up the people in your party that will actually use the gear on that alt first.

example 1: a group of 2 rogues, 2 warriors, and an fc kill a full dodge rogue with a perfect set and dirks.

The rogues get first dibs on rolling for the dirks. The warriors and FC do not, it's between the rogues unless the FC really wants to go stab and even then she's still last in that pecking order if the rogues want to roll on it instead.

Dodge trinkets should be divied out to the loser and anyone else in the group until things are redistributed based on who can actually use the gear, and not someone just looking to score stuff for alts.

If you're not going to use it, right now or reset immediately for it - You don't get to roll.

Gear the people that plan to use it right now. If Justice is recovered, someone who uses lblades or willing to reset immediately to lblades should be the one that gets first dibs.

thoughts? :)
This is how it typically works on DS, as Shimu pointed out. Very rarely does it work differently, and it is very obvious when it is going to be that way, so you can choose not to participate in PK where that is going to happen in the end.

It is more on the leaders. On DS, the fades and dreadlords who lead the Great Lord's armies are expected to act this way. It is RP driven by the Chosen, and it makes sense. The fades and dreadlords need to have nice things first, but once they have nice things, the rest of the nice things trickle down to the trollocs. This is understood.

On LS, it's different. Everyone has this ideal of equality, that everyone should get a shot, even if they aren't going to use it or trade it immediately. Sometimes, the group leader is just greedy and takes it for their own. I think there are a lot more people with this mindset on LS characters, because so often they get away with it because either everyone else thinks everyone should have one fair shot, or no one ever enforces RP on someone who just takes things.

On DS, you do not get away with these things, generally. People will not group with you. They will refuse to share with you. They will openly deride you over globals. In the worst of cases, you will be shadow warranted.

I'll tell you a story. This was on an LS alt. About ten years ago, when I was a lot younger and way more immature (imagine that!) I happened to kill some guy in FD with a heron. They died because of me. I chased the guy around FD, I got him low with mobs, I blocked him from getting out the jump. I looted it and intended on keeping it. I don't remember who was there, but it was a fairly well-known character, and another fairly well-known character's FC. They were so upset that I refused to let them roll dice for it, just because they managed to show up at some point before I finished the guy off. I was working at school, and had to go soon, so I rented with it all. They mailed the Lancers and I got warranted for doing this. I immediately reset and started using the heron. I didn't really care about the Shienar warrant, because I was in a southern clan and I could just kill a clan we were at war with for QPs if I needed them. I had so much fun with that heron. It was totally worth it for me, especially since after a little while I was able to get a pardon from the Lancers for a few thousand crowns. Now what I did was could be viewed as immature and even lame, but I still think it was right. Those two players who got mad were well-versed and rich enough that they could get a heron, while I was slowly trying to build a set up so I could at least wear jcuffs with my BT spear. It was the first opportunity I had to play a rare. It was so much sweeter because I had done over 95% of the work to kill the guy who had it. Playing the rare was some of the most fun I ever had in the game. I vividly remember how cool it was to run around like I was some kind of blademaster or something. I didn't keep it forever, either. When I say I played it, I played it! I fought some southern clan wars with it, I fought raiding trollocs with it. Like I said, I got pardoned eventually, and PKed up north with it some. I lost it running from a ton of trolls led by a fade through long cut. Even though I died, I got over being upset and managed to re eq and remember the good times I had with my first rare. I am pretty sure I managed to get another one at some point, and had just as much fun that time. And it hurt a little less the next time I died with one, and so on. I think everyone should get a chance to play a rare, and play it like you're playing a regular item. It is very fun and you will find you will get a lot of thrilling kills with it.

Now the reason I told that story is because I feel like nowadays no one cares for RP on LS. I see people wearing DS equipment in Shienar all the time, people wearing trolloc badges for bonuses. I see the guards yelling at Rank 8 characters for wearing Ghar'ghael medallions. I see people renting with phat lewt and no consequence. There needs to be enforcement of the law. Last I checked, unfairly splitting spoils was against the law in Shienar. Wearing dark equipment is against the law. If you feel like you are getting shafted in the split, you should mail a Lancer and light a fire under their butt. If they don't do anything, stop playing with whoever did that shafting. Maybe eventually they will get the picture, or they will just find no one wants to group with them.

Also, don't forget, snake eyes is high!
Melayna wrote:eh isn't that just re-eqing the dead? The guy who died chose to alt to another character to keep PK going. Same as if I die on my trolloc and alt to my remorts and we get a set that matches the one I lost I'd ask for it to re-eq the dead.
I think the insinuation was that some people claim they just died on their alt to get phat lewt, and they are actually liars.

I think if LS moved to a more DS style splitting mentality, there would be a lot more rares in play, spread over a lot more players. A lot of the time nowadays, whoever wins the dice roll ends up storing the rare. They don't actually play it, and they might try to trade it for other gear. That's fine if you trade it immediately, I guess. It's LS after all. However, when you hear about a player with a heron in rent that costs thousands of crowns to withdraw, and no one wants to trade them what seems like a ridiculous amount of things in exchange for it, that heron is probably just going to sit in rent forever, effectively being out of the game. I am not sure who was involved in getting that heron, but most likely it involved more than one person. Instead of storing it in rent and taking it out of the game, it should have been given to someone who was going to play it (or trade it for a reasonable offer immediately).

The hoarder mentality that is so prevalent is very unfortunate. People collect things and do not use them. It is a real problem. If everyone stopped hoarding rares, and played them instead, there would be a much larger amount of rares in active circulation. Many more people would be able to use them, and wouldn't feel so bad when they died with them, because they know someone else is going to use it and probably die just like they did.
Last edited by Pounds on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Meren

Post by Meren » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am

Your ideal split, is also my ideal split. However, people have alts, friends, and ulterior motives.

My main split problems...

1) Leader tax. Pocketing vials, cash, etc. without giving anyone a look in.

2) Rolling for things that that character cannot/will not use, when someone else that wants it is present. Such as little miss Sedai rolling for a war maul when there's a clubs warrior who just went to work to get it.

3) "XYZ (friend of speaker) died so we're re-eq'ing them. In a kit better than yours, sorry sunshine." Because dying entitles you to more?

4) That in north pk, where all the loot is, the Lancers are the arbiters of all.

Pounds

Post by Pounds » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Meren wrote:Your ideal split, is also my ideal split. However, people have alts, friends, and ulterior motives.

My main split problems...

1) Leader tax. Pocketing vials, cash, etc. without giving anyone a look in.

2) Rolling for things that that character cannot/will not use, when someone else that wants it is present. Such as little miss Sedai rolling for a war maul when there's a clubs warrior who just went to work to get it.

3) "XYZ (friend of speaker) died so we're re-eq'ing them. In a kit better than yours, sorry sunshine." Because dying entitles you to more?

4) That in north pk, where all the loot is, the Lancers are the arbiters of all.
I agree with all four points.

I wish people would start making whoever looted show packs, or get all from packs. Don't be afraid to speak up either. I think this would help resolve #1.

I absolutely agree about #2. If there is someone who is practiced for it and in the setup, they should get that thing, if they want it. If you can use it, but you have to get a reset, you should get a shot if no one else can immediately use it. If you can't use it, and no one else wants it, then you get a shot, so you can trade it or alt it.

#3 is annoying and happens way too much. You can give the basics to the dead person. You can swap the trinkets from the person who survived so they don't have nothing. You could at least split the trinkets 50/50 and give the survivor's other trinket to the dead person. Dying sucks, but it doesn't make you deserve any special treatment. If anything, you should get less since you died. Otherwise, you reward people who die. The person who survived is most likely going to make better use of that equipment, since it will help them survive even better. I understand this is not always the case, but it's like giving someone a participation trophy. Loosely, at least.

For #4, I wish there was a neutral third party clan that did arbitration and mediation. Right now you have to worry whether or not a *oL is going to get shafted because the Lancers don't want to anger the White Tower. Even outside of that situation, you might have lots of pressure from a White Tower person to let them have that stuff because otherwise they aren't going to help the Lancers fight the shadow, or some other nonsense like that. Maybe Thiefbane or the Kandori Merchant clan could do this service?

Melayna

Post by Melayna » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm

To be honest I haven't experienced anyone pocketing anything worthwhile in a long time, think the last time was some seanchan who rented with that unique two handed long blade, but that is a long time ago. Sure coin generally just goes into the pocket of whoever looted unless someone asks for it. I find vials etc. to be split fairly in the vast majority of cases.

I both agree and disagree, simply because the dynamic on LS is different, since trading is a big part of the game and has always been. The rogue who is missing out on the war maul or whatever rare could have used that rare in a trade for some pods. That being said it has always frustrated me a bit when people who PK up north exclusively finally end up killing someone with a heron and it ends up on the smobbing FC(or whatever char) who happened to come dusty and spike the fade and then win the lotto, and it just ends up in a rent or up for trade for 5 shocklances the day after. And wholeheartedly agree that it would be great if people played the rares they got, more rares in circulation is always great.

But as a wise man said in another thread:

Dear original poster, sides differ

Kind regards,