WoT show to begin production this Fall!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Raya

Re: WoT show to begin production this Fall!

Post by Raya » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:16 am

Can't really compare, Seeker and Shannara had minuscule budgets compared to this, and those tiny sets were rotated endlessly. They're more comparable to Xena and Hercules. His Dark Materials (HBO), Carnival Row (Amazon) and Shadow and Bone (Netflix) are pretty awesome/successful despite the cringe of the last being YA. And the last two had only 1-2 major locations, most scenes were indoors.

This looks like a world far more vast with three major locations shown for now, TV, EF and SL plus a lot of open landscapes, so yes, more like LoTR. Just a lot more colorful, and less of the dreamy/monochromatic filter.

But I think it's the acting that makes or breaks it.

Kyr

Post by Kyr » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:12 am

Looks fantastic to me. Far better than I could've imagined even a yr or two ago, much less five or fifteen. Very exciting.

cael

Post by cael » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:55 am

Who’s the guy dual-wielding axes?

Etain

Post by Etain » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:31 am

Gurok wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:08 pm
It looks like LoTR to me. I wouldn't expect anyone in these scenes to be dirty, considering we're seeing the Two Rivers during a holiday, and they aren't a town filled with beggars. Almost all scenes of not in the Two Rivers are people during ceremonies... where they'd be clean, right? People are finding some weird stuff to complain about so early on.

I really don't get these comparisons to Seeker or Shannara. the WoT trailer is SO MUCH BETTER than Shannara or Legend of the Seeker were.

Legend of the Seeker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OrBX1epXM

Shannara Chronicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCr3z_sTSNU
I'm in the camp that says it reminded me of Shannara Chronicles, for two simple reasons. One, the set-pieces don't give any impression of age. This is a world that was shattered and rebuilt from the ground up over three thousand years ago, and yet it looks like it's been operated with full maid service since the Breaking. Shadar Logoth is a good example; it's a city that's been abandoned for centuries, but there's no sense of decay. It's dark, but not really menacing.

Second point of comparison is the casting. It's like the showrunners went out of their way to hire every beautiful person in sight. That, combined with the artificially forced diversity, just annoys me. A believable world needs people that look like people, not like models that just stepped out of a glamor magazine. Combine that with some of the odd design choices (the Myrddraal, Rand's sword being a pretty standard katana, changing Thom's harp to a guitar because 'it fit the actor better', etc.), and it just rubs me the wrong way.

It's not that there aren't things about it that I liked, but I've had fairly low expectations since the casting news started to hit the interwebs, and for me at least, this isn't really boosting them.

halfhand

Post by halfhand » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:27 pm

cael wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:55 am
Who’s the guy dual-wielding axes?
That is likely Stephin (played by Peter Franzen) the Warder to Kerene Nagashi, an Aes Sedai likely killed by Logain. He is also the one crying after her death. This is a marked change from the books (Kerene was one of Tamra's Searchers in New Spring who was killed by Black Ajah)

Gurok

Post by Gurok » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Etain wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:31 am
That, combined with the artificially forced diversity, just annoys me.
Got it.

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Gurok wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:48 pm
Etain wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:31 am
That, combined with the artificially forced diversity, just annoys me.
Got it.
Lol, the artificially forced lack of diversity in shows like downtown abbey also annoys me :lol:

The trailer was pretty exciting for me. I'm hoping it doesn't get too bleak/menacing soon (they probably would want to build towards that anyway) - we live in bleak enough times :P

Came across this quote from one of the actors:

""Garcia also talked a bit about the show’s diverse cast. “We have people from all walks of life,” she said. “I just think to myself when I was growing up, if I saw a cast that was that diverse in that way I … I don’t know. It made me emotional when I was sitting in the table read and just seeing how different everybody looked, and how we’re all part of telling this story. Again, I just feel so grateful that I get to be a part of that, and that change. It’s really exciting.” ""
Last edited by isabel on Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

may72

Post by may72 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:57 pm

The diversity doesnt bother me in the slightest.

When i saw the stills, my first reaction was 'why isnt moiraine short', and that lan is too attractive/pretty- but now ive seen some footage i dont care and i am excited about others seeing the amazing world that Jordan created (im a huge book nerd like many here).

The clothes on the sedai look pristine, but the woolen jumper on rand when he fires the bow looks like a raw made wool jumper. Perhaps it is because they are sedai.

I loved the subtle stuff, the foreshadowing with egwene (the colours in the water) and the way they had very subtle bands of colours on the
Amyrlin

Aging up of the cast is a brill move, we dont want it to feel like YA stuff.

It didnt have shannara vibes to me, it did have LOTR movie vibes however. But then the books had LOTR vibes as well (i read lotr before wot and noticed the similarities early on)
Last edited by may72 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eol

Post by Eol » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Don't fret diversity people. Fret that the show will probably be bad. After all, some of the books are terrible :lol:

Also, I need to find that way old parody of the Eye of the World that butchers the book. The one where Moiraine asks the children how old she is and when they say 37 tells Lan to kill them.