WoT show to begin production this Fall!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Aira

Re: WoT show to begin production this Fall!

Post by Aira » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Mronz wrote:aren't white people really the only race that has red hair, or can brown/black also be red-headed?
They can be, even with freckles, but I've never seen any pictures of people of color with natural red hair as well as light eyes. I've seen either red hair or light eyes, but not both, except in north-west Europeans. I mean, I suppose RJ could've made up people of color with blond/red hair and light eyes, but I would think he would have been very specific about describing their skin tone if he had meant anything but the obvious. Because he is obvious with everyone else.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 pm

There's Africans with light hair and with light eyes. It's rare granted and yeah I don't think RJ had them in mind wrt the Aiel.

The point though I think is that if they're doing a TV adaptation they can cast whoever they want really and for me at least it'd be jarring to see pasty gingers living in the Three Fold Land. I feel like they'd all get skin cancer and die before age 35. And to Isabel's point it couldn't hurt to have more than just a bunch of white people in the casting - personal politics/opinions aside, you have to know that's going to draw ire from a general audience in 2019.

Florry

Post by Florry » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:16 pm

Reyne wrote:There's Africans with light hair and with light eyes. It's rare granted and yeah I don't think RJ had them in mind wrt the Aiel.

The point though I think is that if they're doing a TV adaptation they can cast whoever they want really and for me at least it'd be jarring to see pasty gingers living in the Three Fold Land. I feel like they'd all get skin cancer and die before age 35. And to Isabel's point it couldn't hurt to have more than just a bunch of white people in the casting - personal politics/opinions aside, you have to know that's going to draw ire from a general audience in 2019.
They're only pale where their clothes don't cover the skin. You likely would never know they were pale people unless you were present when they stripped their clothes off.

Aira

Post by Aira » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm

I think the whole point of having pasty light people in the Aiel Waste was because it was so jarring and to really illustrate that them living there was a recent development - they haven't had time to adapt yet in the past 3k years.

hasp

Post by hasp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:43 pm

One of those arguments that 1) Will not be won. 2) In the grand scheme doesn't matter.

It will be hard to get quality actors that fit every role so they do what they can.

Whoever was talking about the magic system, that is what worries me. Hopefully they nail it because if they do, the show should be a success.

I forgot a scene. Where he accidentally ports to the Gap or where ever and smashes the ground!

Florry

Post by Florry » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:46 pm

hasp wrote:Whoever was talking about the magic system, that is what worries me. Hopefully they nail it because if they do, the show should be a success.
This is why Wheel of Time is best left animated, rather than live action.

Weaving is going to look atrocious.

Itesh

Post by Itesh » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Definitely their implementation of weaving is going to be make or break.

Wrt to Aiel - isn't the point of the Three Fold Land that it's an awful place to live for them? That doesn't discount pasty yet curiously bloody-minded gingers to me!

Florry

Post by Florry » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:53 pm

Itesh wrote:Definitely their implementation of weaving is going to be make or break.

Wrt to Aiel - isn't the point of the Three Fold Land that it's an awful place to live for them? That doesn't discount pasty yet curiously bloody-minded gingers to me!

I'd forgotten that they chose to live there as penitence.

Delion

Post by Delion » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Switch to Terry Gilliam style animation whenever weaving happens

Itesh

Post by Itesh » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Not sure if it was penance or just that Aes Sedai wanted to get far away from anyone else before they constructed Rhuidean - point is, the Aiel are not native to the waste.