WoT show to begin production this Fall!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
halfhand

Re: WoT show to begin production this Fall!

Post by halfhand » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:27 pm

With an official release date for the TV Series (November 19), it might not be a bad idea to start considering a global in-game tie-in event. There is likely to be a huge interest boost from returning players as well as new players. It would be a lot of work, but there is a potential for big dividend. For example, given the nature of the Season 1, a False Dragon Logain global event or a Two Rivers Winternight event could be pretty exciting hooks.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:07 am

Amazing link eol :)

I'm surprised in the trailer there's no mention of based on the wheel of time books by Robert Jordan. It just says an Amazon original production.

isabel

Post by isabel » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:37 am

was thinking about the height difference between moiraine and lan. the cover of the first book is so iconic, the image of this towering man almost dwarfing moiraine, and yet somehow that contrast even highlights that she is the real powerhouse. at the same time it IS kind of reinforcing a stereotype/binary there.

i feel like they could have Easily gone for a bigger looking person for lan so i wonder if this choice kind of signals their intent that they are really committed to massively updating all the bad gender dynamics of the books.

my other thought about updating the books to make them relevant was around the good/evil storyline. I think when the books first came out, Lotr was the other big epic fantasy and it was okay to have similarities because it was just two. But I think what we saw with got/asoiaf is that post-lotr post-harry potter we need MUCH MORE complex stories. and i feel like if they dont' update wot around that, if they don't amplify characters that are much more grey (like elaida, verin etc) or amplify the greyness inherent in the main characters (perrin, rand) then it could just be a nostalgia trip for wot-fans and may not hit all the high notes it otherwise chould.

Dinuc

Post by Dinuc » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:14 am

isabel wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:37 am
was thinking about the height difference between moiraine and lan. the cover of the first book is so iconic, the image of this towering man almost dwarfing moiraine, and yet somehow that contrast even highlights that she is the real powerhouse. at the same time it IS kind of reinforcing a stereotype/binary there.
On the cover isn't it mostly because he is riding a bigger horse...?

The wiki has Rand at 6'6 and Lan at 6'5 and Moraine at short. The actors are Rand 6'2 and Lan 6'1.
isabel wrote:
i feel like they could have Easily gone for a bigger looking person for lan so i wonder if this choice kind of signals their intent that they are really committed to massively updating all the bad gender dynamics of the books.
I doubt they even considered it. It is difficult finding actors over 6'4... And they may have wanted someone shorter than Rand.

Dinuc

Post by Dinuc » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:02 am

isabel wrote:
my other thought about updating the books to make them relevant was around the good/evil storyline. I think when the books first came out, Lotr was the other big epic fantasy and it was okay to have similarities because it was just two. But I think what we saw with got/asoiaf is that post-lotr post-harry potter we need MUCH MORE complex stories. and i feel like if they dont' update wot around that, if they don't amplify characters that are much more grey (like elaida, verin etc) or amplify the greyness inherent in the main characters (perrin, rand) then it could just be a nostalgia trip for wot-fans and may not hit all the high notes it otherwise chould.
People think that for the first season they are going to make it more of a mystery as to who is the Dragon Reborn. That is why many people would think that Pike is the main character. When they pick up the three boys it won't be obvious that it is Rand.

Grey characters are great. But I don't think it is necessary for an excellent show. There will be plenty of factions with different motivations. They don't need to be grey or anti-heroes or whatever.

Dialogue and acting and action and production values and sets and editing and music and the villains. That is what will make the show great.

Alison

Post by Alison » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:44 am

halfhand wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:27 pm
With an official release date for the TV Series (November 19), it might not be a bad idea to start considering a global in-game tie-in event. There is likely to be a huge interest boost from returning players as well as new players. It would be a lot of work, but there is a potential for big dividend. For example, given the nature of the Season 1, a False Dragon Logain global event or a Two Rivers Winternight event could be pretty exciting hooks.
I like this idea. Lot of people going to google stuff and we are bound to come up on searches.

Abatha

Post by Abatha » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Kyr

Post by Kyr » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMkfP4JsxU

Woof. I was soooo excited going into the releases/panel today, immediately disappointed :p

Thore

Post by Thore » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm

Kyr wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:44 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMkfP4JsxU

Woof. I was soooo excited going into the releases/panel today, immediately disappointed :p
It wasn't the best either IMO... Lan's intro pretty over dramatic, Moraine eyeing them all felt awkward, and all the laughter at the beginning was odd. But it wasn't the worst... Oh well

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:16 pm

Yes, it was rather overdramatic. Consider how warders were introduced in the book by RJ---very overdramatic, filled with vivid metaphors about how deadly they looked ready to kill at any moment. I don't really envy the writers.

It may be time for me to reread the series again. I dont recall Moiraine being so obvious about her identity in the opening chapters of EoTW.