WoT show to begin production this Fall!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Rig

Re: WoT show to begin production this Fall!

Post by Rig » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:56 am

Biggest gripe is the melodramatics and the fact that literally nobody knew she was actually an Aes Sedai until after the trolloc attack in books.

I assume they’re just trying to introduce Sedai at a faster pace because Jordan’s world building is too slow to introduce into a show.

Kyr

Post by Kyr » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:48 am

Yeah, it seems like they've changed the setting a good bit so Aes Sedai are more open in the world as the matriarchy. I've mostly made my peace with the fact that this is an adaptation (which they've been clear about) and am actually somewhat excited about it because it'll be like reading the books again for the first time, seeing the new story. But the acting, overdramatization, and dialogue in the clip just hit me like a slap in the face. Very, very not good.

Jaster

Post by Jaster » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:58 am

Having never read the books and just played the game. I think the text based game is more appealing to offer someone about wotmud than this intro. If I had no clue, I’d watch this trailer and say…. Are aes sedai like the ringer we bring to drinking games? The whole bar is somehow stopped in their tracks in awe of some random guy and woman who look meh and do nothing impressive? If I read the books, I’d be disappointed that this was the hype video they came up with to get people ready for a great series? Could they not put together some interesting battle scenes, magic, mischief, or something? I’m more interested in Witcher season 2

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:12 am

Nobody here ever lived in a village? :lol:

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:17 am

I didn't think it was that bad. Not the video I would have picked to hype people up but not bad. The main mistake was trying to cram world introduction, character introduction, and all of the events of book 1 into 8? Episodes. They were bound to have to cut out a lot of stuff that is going to piss off book fans.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:21 pm

Lol I was going to say that guy at 1:49 looks so bored/random and then realised from the comments that that's actually probably Mat? :lol:

Aira

Post by Aira » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Given how different a medium film/ series are compared to books, I think that it's best to see books vs tv show it like different ways to visit a big city with tons of different must-see's:

Both are visiting all the highlights, but one takes a slightly different route as the other.

Also, with screen adaptations not being able to do much in terms of inner monologue and having way less time available, I think the snippet was fine. It would be a shame if they do end up cutting out the farm and Tam al'Thor, plus the trek through the Westwood, since imo that is what makes it different from the average fantasy thing, but we'll see.

Dinuc

Post by Dinuc » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:24 pm

Kyr wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:48 am
But the acting, overdramatization, and dialogue in the clip just hit me like a slap in the face. Very, very not good.
That was really bad.

Rand also has a weird face. Pointy or narrow or something..

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:29 am

Eh, I thought the teaser was fine. Don’t agree with all the hate on over acting. There were 4 lines of dialogue in 20 seconds. Maybe we should wait until a full episode is dropped before we make up our minds that it is going to be bad? Mind you, even Jordan’s dialogue got wonky at times in the books.

Kilgore

Post by Kilgore » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Ashlee wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:29 am
Eh, I thought the teaser was fine. Don’t agree with all the hate on over acting. There were 4 lines of dialogue in 20 seconds. Maybe we should wait until a full episode is dropped before we make up our minds that it is going to be bad? Mind you, even Jordan’s dialogue got wonky at times in the books.
Think the assumption is when you choose 20 seconds to showcase the drama, acting, and general feel; that 20 seconds is a moment to hold to a lens. Don't think anyone has said they aren't excited, just that the expectations aren't bowling over the audience yet! We're a hard crowd to please.