WoT show to begin production this Fall!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Naomi

Re: WoT show to begin production this Fall!

Post by Naomi » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Anor wrote:I mean if you go to the books no one likes or trusts Aes Sedai. So the "shadowy organisation" part is kind of true. Remember our little game world is a lot different.

Guess we can only hope though...
That's kinda true and kinda untrue. Really depends on where you are in the world.

Borderlanders love Aes Sedai, for the most part. Shienar especially, from what we see in books 1 and 2.

Aes Sedai aren't trusted, and sometimes feared, by they're not "shadowy". Most folk know of them, know a bit about lore of them (ajahs, white tower, amyrlin seat, etc).

I don't think the Aes Sedai are shadowy, but that's just me.

Carter

Post by Carter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:01 pm

Legend of the Seeker, pt 2 :cry:

Anor

Post by Anor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Well the borderlands is the only place they are loved. I'm just hoping they are using the shadowy part to not spoil the first few episodes. Really milk the part where the two rivers boys are really worried about her.

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:07 am

So interesting!! It sounds like Moiraine will play the role traditionally played by male wizards / mentors like Gandlaf and Dumbledore and Obi Wan. I don't think it will be hero specific in that sense of it being her story. The hero's quest is the clear narrative and Rand is the hero (similar to Harry Frodo and Luke) with his best friends etc.

All the three guide figures were quirky, kind of asexual, and had that dry humour. I can see Moiraine fitting that role.

Florry

Post by Florry » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Anor wrote:Well the borderlands is the only place they are loved.
There's some love for them in Andor, and obviously lots of love for them in Tar Valon ;)

Florry

Post by Florry » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:34 pm

isabel wrote:So interesting!! It sounds like Moiraine will play the role traditionally played by male wizards / mentors like Gandlaf and Dumbledore and Obi Wan. I don't think it will be hero specific in that sense of it being her story. The hero's quest is the clear narrative and Rand is the hero (similar to Harry Frodo and Luke) with his best friends etc.

All the three guide figures were quirky, kind of asexual, and had that dry humour. I can see Moiraine fitting that role.
I think the first season will portray Moiraine as the shows central character until Rands big reveal is done.

Etain

Post by Etain » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:52 pm

I'd really like to feel good about this, but there's an awful lot of red flags.

Firstly, the showrunner. Rafe Judkins has a grand total of three producer credits to his name. One of them is a short film, another only lasted thirteen episodes. His experience is mostly as a screenwriter. Placing a project of this size and scope in relatively inexperienced hands seems like a huge gamble.

Secondly, the production companies. Sony has turned out some really good TV shows and movies. They've also produced some pretty bad ones. Amazon, from what I've seen, has a decent reputation for their productions, but they've also announced a Dark Tower series, and a Lord of the Rings prequel series. Those are both big projects, maybe not quite as big as Wheel of Time, but I have to question whether or not any of these productions will get the attention they deserve, as they try to juggle all three.

Thirdly, Hollywood has proven pretty conclusively in the past decade or so that it's teetering on the brink of creative bankruptcy. The tendency is to latch on to a high-profile title and milk it for every cent it's worth, quality be damned. I've already seen a lot of outlets referring to Wheel of Time as 'the next Game of Thrones', which is absolutely not what it should be. Nothing against Game of Thrones, but Wheel of Time is a completely different animal, and should be approached as such.

Another thing is that Hollywood just can't resist the urge to promote its political agenda. I don't know about any of you, but when I watch a movie or TV show, I watch it for entertainment value. Being preached at, no matter which end of the political spectrum it comes from, is boring and off-putting.

I'm going to keep following the news about the Wheel of Time series, and I'll hope for the best, but at the same time, I'm going to be preparing for the worst.

Carter

Post by Carter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:18 am

Etain wrote: Another thing is that Hollywood just can't resist the urge to promote its political agenda. I don't know about any of you, but when I watch a movie or TV show, I watch it for entertainment value. Being preached at, no matter which end of the political spectrum it comes from, is boring and off-putting.
This. Exactly this. I cannot stand this political entertainment crap. Just show the damn story and be done with it.

micheal

Post by micheal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:16 am

I think the shadowy reference to Aes Sedai is somewhat true to the first couple of books, as we don't really learn a whole lot of them other than most of the people we encounter are wary/afraid/in awe of them, so don't think we should read too much into it. I'm kind of excited, but don't have too high hopes, think WoT is one of the toughest series to adapt to TV, both in sheer length and the fact that it breaks into so many side stories, would be a massive undertaking if they want to do justice to every character, and every character's arc is important to the story, so I'm looking forward to see which they'll cut and how that is going to influence the rest of the story down the road if it ever gets so far. Hopefully it'll be halfway decent, but as someone mentioned Amazon have a couple huge projects in the works - would probably have been better for them to focus on one, but I guess they don't want all their eggs in one basket, so if one show tanks in season 1 it'll probably get cut and they'll focus on the remaining. Hope they do Dark Tower series justice as well, really enjoyed those books.

Hiroko

Post by Hiroko » Sat May 04, 2019 11:44 pm

Where is the best site for more info on the upcoming series? I’ve only seen this bit recently and some info about the casting director being decided on.