WoT show to begin production this Fall!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Etain

Re: WoT show to begin production this Fall!

Post by Etain » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:02 am

I'm not sure why you've chosen to snark at everything I say, but I'd like to express a sincere thank you for reminding me that my opinions are best left unvoiced. :)

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Etain wrote:I'm not sure why you've chosen to snark at everything I say, but I'd like to express a sincere thank you for reminding me that my opinions are best left unvoiced. :)
I get it. We all have a VERY specific image of these characters in our heads. Hopefully the casting is strong enough (and everything else) that we can all enjoy seeing these books come to life.

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Moiraine is described in great detail in the books. So I am not sure the basic points of her appearance are left to the imagination. However, I do not think it matters that much. I do not recall a plot point that turned on the hair that hung from her shoulders in ringlets. She certainly has an Aes Sedai bearing. The face is going to be the hardest thing to pull off. Aes Sedai faces are so distinctive that if they leave that out of the show its going to be very glaring.

However, to Etain's point, if they get too far away from the book description then it will break some of the lore connection for me. I dont think Pike is that far away that its a deal breaker. The nice thing about Netflix and Amazon productions is that they can get away from A-list celebrity casting and give someone less well known a shot at leading roles. I think that is part of the charm of Game of Thrones for me---nearly the entire cast are people who were not stars before the show (ok, Sean Bean, whatever), so even if they do not perfectly match the book, I can be convinced that they are a better vision (or not).

The screenplay and directing is what has me the most worried. This could end up being another Sword of Truth show. If that is the case, then I feel sorry for the cast.

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:42 am

I remember having a huge argument with someone about whether Aviendha was dark skinned or not..the person (obviously white) couldn't reconcile with the idea that a major character might not be white..even one who lives in a very very sunny climate..lol. at the end I was like come on..give us ONE character..you have everybody else. And they said no, aviendha is definitely white.

No expectations that barring token characters the main cast will be picked from white people :( but I always hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Harry Potter casting was awful that way.. books idea of good/evil is premised on pureblood / mudblood, an obvious use of anti-racist discourse, but the cast is primarily..pure bloods.

Anyway keeping my fingers crossed that they at least do a Peter Dinklage :D

fiddler

Post by fiddler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:27 pm

isabel wrote:the person (obviously white)

Umadbro?

Brione Furcas

Post by Brione Furcas » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:16 am

isabel wrote:I remember having a huge argument with someone about whether Aviendha was dark skinned or not..the person (obviously white) couldn't reconcile with the idea that a major character might not be white..even one who lives in a very very sunny climate..lol. at the end I was like come on..give us ONE character..you have everybody else. And they said no, aviendha is definitely white.

No expectations that barring token characters the main cast will be picked from white people :( but I always hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Harry Potter casting was awful that way.. books idea of good/evil is premised on pureblood / mudblood, an obvious use of anti-racist discourse, but the cast is primarily..pure bloods.

Anyway keeping my fingers crossed that they at least do a Peter Dinklage :D
You have quite the bee in your bonnet over 'white people' Isabel, watch your perch there on that moral high ground you covet. Lest someone kick it out from under you.

Adael

Post by Adael » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 am

To be fair, didn’t Jordan model the Aiel looks after the (sometimes notoriously light skinned) Irish? :P

Tuon was dark skinned I believe, and I remember Taraboner’s being non-light skinned I think also (though for some reason I also remember Jordan saying their appearance was more akin to some parts of Spain iirc?).

Of course, liberties of film may differ from the books.

Tandrael

Post by Tandrael » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:22 am

Jordan often went into exacting detail for certain physical descriptions of populations from various nations. This often indicated that there was little genetic differentiation in said populations, at least since the War of a Hundred Years, the Trolloc Wars, or even the Breaking (in the case of the Aiel). Domani are olive-skinned, Saldaeans have tilted eyes, and the Aiel are tall, have light eyes (gray, blue, green), and have red or reddish-blond hair.

The Aiel, iirc, are often described as sun-darkened, but never as actually dark-skinned. Given their physical traits that are described most, one would at least assume that pre-Breaking Aiel were fair-skinned. Knowing what we know about genetics, and assuming that works the same in Randland (not a guaranteed assumption btw), then it seems correct to assume that the Aiel are something similar to Aryans that have had to live in the desert for three thousand years.

The Seanchan seem to be one of the few peoples with a wide variation in physical features, stemming from Luthair Mondwin’s vast army conquering an entire continent over the course of the last thousand years. Tuon is the strongest evidence of this, since she has very dark skin, indicating that native Seanchan have bred with even the Imperial Family.

All of this being said, my thoughts on the physical traits of the cast members of the show is that that’s one of the least important factors to making it good. If the writing, production values, or acting is trash, then who cares if Moiraine is short enough, or if Aiel all have red hair and light eyes? On the other hand, in the very unlikely event that they nail the writing, have great production, and excellent acting, then I certainly won’t care about the appearance of the actors.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:23 pm

fiddler wrote: Umadbro?
Brione Furcas wrote: You have quite the bee in your bonnet over 'white people' Isabel, watch your perch there on that moral high ground you covet. Lest someone kick it out from under you.
All she is saying is that it's be nice for there to be some breaking of the standard tv fantasy mold of pretty much only white people. I dunno why you guys have to get nasty about it and idk what "lest someone kick it out from under you" is supposed to be. Gross.

Anyway yeah it'd be weird for the Aiel to be pasty and in pretty sure at least half the Southern nations are black considering Juilin is described as 'dark skinned' as are some others from that part of the world iirc.

Yeah I think the Aiel were modeled after Irish and Scottish septs/clans but it'd still be visually weird to see a bunch of pasty gingers burning in the Waste. I've always pictured them as more middle eastern myself.

hasp

Post by hasp » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:07 pm

Nothing is ever gonna be perfect. As long as they can act.