WoT show to begin production this Fall!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Florry

Re: WoT show to begin production this Fall!

Post by Florry » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:25 am

Raya wrote:
hasp wrote:Let’s steer this back around. Away from the magic use the rest of the show should be amazing. I’m really excited for:

Rand accidentally calling lightning In WB I think.
Thom fighting off the fade.
Battle of Falme.
Dumani Wells.
Cleansing of Saidin.
The first troll attack in EF.
Perrin talking to Wolves for the first time.
Perrin fighting the Whitecloaks.
I remember when I was not -that- into the first book... but then I reached that chapter when they were almost caught by 3 fists of trollocs, and Moiraine displays Aes Sedai power clearly for the first time to everyone, rippling the ground and making a goddamn 30 foot high fire wall. Excited to see that!
That's gonna be AWESOME!

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:05 am

i mean why do you guys even respond in the first place if you're not interested in the discussion? just to register your offended-ness (or should I say 'ir8'-ness) that someone shared their experience of dealing with white people around book conversations?

Must be tough for you to hang around non-whites eh! Good thing you're not part of a community that's largely made up of a race/ethnicity demographic you're not - would be really hard for you i think :roll:

as hasp says, we might as well go back to discussing other things about the show ! This isn't productive in any way.

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:12 am

hasp wrote:Let’s steer this back around. Away from the magic use the rest of the show should be amazing. I’m really excited for:

Rand accidentally calling lightning In WB I think.
Thom fighting off the fade.
Battle of Falme.
Dumani Wells.
Cleansing of Saidin.
The first troll attack in EF.
Perrin talking to Wolves for the first time.
Perrin fighting the Whitecloaks.
I think one of the most exciting things for me is that unlike with GoT or LoTR, RJ's plot is pretty fast paced and there isn't a lot of detailed writing around it, like no 3 chapters of a guy climbing a mountain and then 3 chapters climbing back down, so I hope there won't be too many deviations from the books in terms of the main story.

Other thing I'm looking forward to is that the characters really grow in RJ (I think in LoTR they stay pretty static) so that transformation from the farmboys to the military generals etc would be super fun to watch.

Also what they do with the White Tower would be really fun to see - how are they going to show channeling? Go with a Star Warsy invisible force thing, or a Harry Potter light effects for magic? I hope it's Star Warsy..I feel there's more acting / personality involved there. Other one looks kind of gimmicky and odd to me.

But most of all I think the show will have great visuals and music because there's so much travelling and adventure right through.

Brione Furcas

Post by Brione Furcas » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 am

isabel wrote:i mean why do you guys even respond in the first place if you're not interested in the discussion? just to register your offended-ness (or should I say 'ir8'-ness) that someone shared their experience of dealing with white people around book conversations?

Must be tough for you to hang around non-whites eh! Good thing you're not part of a community that's largely made up of a race/ethnicity demographic you're not - would be really hard for you i think :roll:

as hasp says, we might as well go back to discussing other things about the show ! This isn't productive in any way.
No but it's fun as hell watching your SJW effort posts!

Am really looking forward to tanned redheaded giants in the show though.

Petra

Post by Petra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:54 am

Tentatively excited about the show. Can't wait to see how all the hair-tugging goes. Definitely interested to see what elements they change and which they keep similar, and how they visually show channeling different elements.

On the slightly off-topic note of Isabel's point, this is a very interesting Ted Talk that highlights the point in discussions fairly eloquently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg

Aira

Post by Aira » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 am

The Aiel are probably the whitest people around, being red heads with light eyes and all. Also see this:
https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Alarys
Alarys is an Shaido Wise One with Sevanna. She has black hair, which is rare among the Aiel, and she always seems to find ways to draw attention to it.

Arafellin are pale with light eyes too, so the Scandinavians compared to the Irish Aiel, I suppose.

Andorans, Two Rivers folk seem to be your standard Caucasians. Cairhienin are pale, but often with dark hair.

Altarans, Domani and Taraboners are described as having an olive skin tone, but while there's black olives, in people that usually means Mediterranean/ north African/ Hispanic type of skin tones.

Tairens are often people with dark hair and dark eyes, so they probably fall under the above, too. Juilin is only described as having dark hair and dark eyes. Demid Ajala, the blacksmith, has blue eyes though. The pointed oiled beards point more at a Spanish type than anything darker.

The Sea Folk, Sharans and some Seanchan are -specifically- described as dark skinned.

It seems that many authors just use the standard European geographic layout for their books. E.g. pale in the north, variety in the middle and mediteranean in the south. It's the same in GoT, where the Dornish in GoT are probably most like our southern nations when it comes to skin tone. Even the Dornish are described as having olive colored skin. Let's not forget that the foundations of WoT were laid long before diversity was embraced as it is these days, so between European geography and the sign of those times, and RJ being rather specific in mentioning people's looks, it is mostly a white party. Let's hope they do make the southerners have a Hispanic look, though.

Mronz

Post by Mronz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 am

All this talk about race... RJ's been pretty clear in his books when it comes to nationality and differing looks/colors... For someone to miss the aiel were white, for the entire series, seems hard to believe.
*Disclaimer, as a blind person* I've always made an assumption, aren't white people really the only race that has red hair, or can brown/black also be red-headed?

As just pointed out, pretty sure the sea folk and seanchan were the primary groups ever actually described to be black.

I missed this, back in September Rafe did a huge Twitter Q&A, here's the transcript.

https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php? ... fe_Judkins

Tandrael

Post by Tandrael » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:08 am

KMalfet: Will @BillyZane be reprising his role as Ishmael ?
Rafe Judkins: NO.

lol

Cerys

Post by Cerys » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 am

Tandrael wrote:KMalfet: Will @BillyZane be reprising his role as Ishmael ?
Rafe Judkins: NO.

lol
I laughed out loud, too. :D

Alison

Post by Alison » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:49 am

Just like us running a paralell to the main story world, so should they do it with the series. I doubt its going to be 100 converted. I read somewhere that
brandon is involved and that he says they are definitely different than the books in a good way.

Where is the emonds field being shot? What locations ? I would be impressed to see how they convert that. Emonds fields was a great starter battle and would be amazing if they capture that first trolloc raid and how rand tries to keep thom alive that night. If they grab the audience from that moment, i will be sold on it.
if they just go with them being dragged out of the village, and heading north immediatly it would ... be meh kind of start.