WoT show to begin production this Fall!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
halfhand

Re: WoT show to begin production this Fall!

Post by halfhand » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:16 pm

This is first look at Children of Light. Their choice is...um, interesting.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:43 pm

I can get behind the look. They are basically religious zealots. Warrior monks. Having them clothed in robe like material really highlights the idea behind calling them “white cloaks,” especially for more casual WoT fans who aren’t super familiar with the books.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:11 pm

Look like the KKK to me. Should have been heavily armored with a pristine white cloak. That’s how I always envisioned them anyways.

The single vambrace is neat though.

Eol

Post by Eol » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:32 pm

When I saw that Whitecloak pic I found myself trying to remember that line from Monty Python

How do you know he's a King?

He hasn't got any sh*t on him.

Edit: I wasn't very close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8vXOUi-eI

Raya

Post by Raya » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:14 am

Actually more in favor of these robes for less battle-oriented Aes Sedai, than the pants that they have now. I imagined more armor-clad Paladins from Magic the Gathering, but these do fit the monastic look. That one gold pauldron is really nice.

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:20 pm

a little more makeup and colour and it could be campy

is it from this article? skimmed it a bit to avoid getting too much info on the show but it seems interesting

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-amazons-wheel-of-time

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:28 pm

It’s certainly not my head cannon, but I honestly kind of love it.

Kyr

Post by Kyr » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:58 am

It looks sci-fi/trekish to me :p And who's idea were the stashes? KKK is a good association, they're obviously going for a visible, male-supremacist look. It probably works? Too soon to judge, but hopefully they pull it off. It'd be pretty hilarious if the fantasy show aimed at upending fantasy tropes spun the all-male group purposefully full of tropes and as hokey as possible.

That said, one of them has Aes rings on a string on his belt. Thats pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9kTVhIWwU

There's a fan theory I read a bit ago that they're completely rewriting the story with Egwene as the dragon reborn...somehow. No idea how that would work but this trailer didnt do anything to discourage it, I think. Im assuming theyre just making it a bigger unknown for new viewers rather than us being relatively sure its Rand early on in the books, but its still funny. And I could definitely see them actually doing it, which would also be hilarious to me.

may72

Post by may72 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:38 pm

The whitecloaks are not how i imagined them, but they look like religious nuts- and i instantly disliked them so it is working for me!

The latest clip (moiraines quest) is my fave so far... really cannot wait, i have read this series so many times.

may72

Post by may72 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:39 pm

Kyr wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:58 am
It looks sci-fi/trekish to me :p And who's idea were the stashes? KKK is a good association, they're obviously going for a visible, male-supremacist look. It probably works? Too soon to judge, but hopefully they pull it off. It'd be pretty hilarious if the fantasy show aimed at upending fantasy tropes spun the all-male group purposefully full of tropes and as hokey as possible.

That said, one of them has Aes rings on a string on his belt. Thats pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9kTVhIWwU

There's a fan theory I read a bit ago that they're completely rewriting the story with Egwene as the dragon reborn...somehow. No idea how that would work but this trailer didnt do anything to discourage it, I think. Im assuming theyre just making it a bigger unknown for new viewers rather than us being relatively sure its Rand early on in the books, but its still funny. And I could definitely see them actually doing it, which would also be hilarious to me.
I have been behind the changes so far, but that might be a bit far for me :)