Awesome movie thread

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Lenara

Awesome movie thread

Post by Lenara » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:25 am

Does not have Manglers name on it like the book one, but movies are awesome!

What you seen recently? What you want to see? Recommendations, things that aren't terrible? Etc etc

Mangler

Re: Awesome movie thread

Post by Mangler » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:10 pm

I demand you rename this thread with my name in it.

Alternatively if you want to watch a truly absurd film that somehow entertained me, give Kingsman a whirl. Note. Violence.

Elyse

Post by Elyse » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Well, since lots of people will surely be better positioned to talk about stuff currently in theaters, I'll talk about some of my favorite old movies that while decently well known, aren't at the Casablanca/Citizen Kane level, and deserve to be seen by more people today.

1. The Life and Death of Colenel Blimp. A British film, made during the Second World War. Requires a little patience to get into, but the payoff is worth it. A little funny, a little sad, and full of pathos.

2. The Thin Man. Works remarkably well as both a comedy and a whodunnit. The male and female leads play off each other delightfully, and their antics alone make this movie a blast. Probably not the best choice of film for teetotalers.

3. Auntie Mame. A zany hoot. I'm a bit biased towards this film because it always makes me think of my late grandmother, but take that out of the equation and you still have a really good film.

4. The Third Man. Great postwar thriller. The zither music will stick with you, too!

5. Some Like it Hot. Hilarious screwball comedy. Marilyn Monroe. Instrumental in the eventual demise of the Hayes Code, since it was considered too risque to get approval. And perhaps the best final line in any movie ever. (Sorry, Gone with the Wind Fans, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" wasn't the final line). What's not to like?

6. Grand Illusion. Just saw this one a couple weeks ago, and wow was it worth it. While certain of its elements were used by later movies with a more adventurous bent (both The Great Escape and Casablanca borrow certain scenes), this movie about French POWs during World War I, and the Germans guarding them, has a quieter, decidedly anti-war beauty, mixed with reflections on the changing nature of the modern world. Notable for the humanism in its view of nearly all of its characters, French, German, and otherwise. It's also straight up enjoyable, and is very much NOT one of those films that's so determined to be an "Important Movie" that all the humor, life, and fun is sucked out of it.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Mangler wrote:I demand you rename this thread with my name in it.

Alternatively if you want to watch a truly absurd film that somehow entertained me, give Kingsman a whirl. Note. Violence.
Kingsman +1 "somehow"

Lenara

Post by Lenara » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:11 am

Last two things I went to see at the cinema were Mad Max Fury Road, and Jurassic World.

Mad Max was great. Very well paced, keeps going the whole way through and never gets boring. I just absolutely love the almost comic book feel of that world, the cars, the characters and so on.

Jurassic World was enjoyable. Of course it is nowhere near as good as the original, but I enjoyed it more than 2 and 3. Chris Pratt is possibly the most likable person in the entire world, and the raptors are adorable in a 'will eat your face' kind of way.

My main complaint with Jurassic World (although this is really not the type of film you go to see expecting the plot to actually matter :lol: ) is that the scientist who bred the hybrid won't even tell the person who OWNS Jurassic World what it is made up of. I mean, the guy is the funding behind it all, the reason it is even happening, but the scientist is all like noooo I can't tell you. This is so you can have all the surprises when its 'abilities' are revealed in dangerous ways which leads to lots of entertaining dinosaur-on-human violence, but it seriously bugged me.

Paj

Post by Paj » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:58 am

Lenara wrote:My main complaint with Jurassic World (although this is really not the type of film you go to see expecting the plot to actually matter :lol: ) is that the scientist who bred the hybrid won't even tell the person who OWNS Jurassic World what it is made up of. I mean, the guy is the funding behind it all, the reason it is even happening, but the scientist is all like noooo I can't tell you. This is so you can have all the surprises when its 'abilities' are revealed in dangerous ways which leads to lots of entertaining dinosaur-on-human violence, but it seriously bugged me.
The fail was the fact they didn't think to check the GPS tracker >>BEFORE<< going in the enclosure. The whole movie failed on that fact that they did a time-warp of her driving away asking about tracking and he just up and decides to go inside (with 2 other experienced keepers) instead of ... i don't know ... following protocol that they have been following for years for dangerous dinosaurs.

Aruon

Post by Aruon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:54 pm

My biggest thing with the whole Jurassic franchise is the removal of the character traits. That whole book series is about hubris, and they removed that entirely for the movie storyboards. Hammond was a massively oblivious liar, and Wu was trying to get him to see reason. Where'd those personas go? :P

I DEMAND DINO JUSTICE!

Livae

Post by Livae » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:15 am

Locke - British film with Tom Hardy, it makes you think and is amusing.

Trance- Another British film with James Macvoy

Serenity- Joss Whedon. Enough said!

Rushmore

My neighbour Toroto

Studi Gibli

Lots more really..

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Fri May 27, 2016 5:22 pm

BUMP.

I need a good film recommendation. Just something either:

A) Mindless fun action (Deadpool?)
B) Interesting (Interstellar kind of interesting?)

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Fri May 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Watched Deadpool last night, was fun.