Mangler's awesome book thread.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Lykan

Re: Mangler's awesome book thread.

Post by Lykan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:20 am

Yeah, despite my genuine dislike of Rothfuss and his dorito-laced beard (guy is seriously all that is bad in nerd-dom), the books really are great, even if he never finishes the third.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:09 am

Oh sorry forgot to mention I read those two books, they were good! But not as good as GoT I thought. Probably comparing apples to oranges. What do you guys think would be similar in quality to GoT?

Thanks for the help guys.

Vaen

Post by Vaen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 am

Petra wrote:Stormlight is meh and massively overrated.
That's a WEIRD misspelling of "Malazan" there.

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:21 am

Jestin wrote:Oh sorry forgot to mention I read those two books, they were good! But not as good as GoT I thought. Probably comparing apples to oranges. What do you guys think would be similar in quality to GoT?

Thanks for the help guys.
Depends what you mean by 'quality'?

Robin Hobb is awesome in my view, and probably similar in avoiding the fantasy tropes around absurd deus-ex-machina magic etc.. while also having great world building depth.

Red Rising is one of the most eminently readable series I've enjoyed in ages. It's not the same quality as GOT in terms of depth by any stretch, but a weirdly perfect fusion of almost fantasy-esque sci-fi.

Gentlemans Bastards is probably my favourite of the more recent fantasy series.

Great Cloaks/Powder Mage get a good shout out for readable also, but not in the same league as GOT.

Broken Earth series is fantastic if you want something a bit different than your usual swords and sorcery nonsense.

If you want old school - read Raymond E. Feist's first... 7? books?
Last edited by Petra on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

laci

Post by laci » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:22 am

I haven't read anything I thought was similar GoT, but I've always thought the Dark Tower was one of the best epic fantasy series of all time, once you get past book one.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:16 pm

The First Law trilogy Joe Abercrombie
Chronicles of the Black Company series by Glen Cook
Snakewood by Adrian Selby

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Razhak wrote:I've been recently digging into the "Old man's war" series from John Scalzi.

Quite enjoyable, reminds me of Starship Troopers (the book by Heinlein, not the movie :P )
I wrote a 10 page paper in college about Starship Troopers, the book :) damn I miss school. Way better than working.

alastair

Post by alastair » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:24 pm

I don't know if anyone here enjoys nonfiction but "The Big Burn" and "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan are fantastic books in my opinion. "Boone" by Robert Morgan was also really interesting.

Treach

Post by Treach » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:01 pm

Read the following from GRR Martin:
- Knight of the Seven Kingdoms - Set before GOT. It is a story about a hedge-knight. It is 3 novellas that you can now purchase together.
- Sandkings - Great short story you can download for free. Set in the future and is about a rich person who likes to buy exotic animals.
- Fevre Dream - A vampire story.

Looking at his bibliography there also appears to be a lot of novellas I haven't read.

Firimei Lang

Post by Firimei Lang » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm

I bought the Fire and Fury on audible... should be fun to listen to.