Mangler's awesome book thread.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Zudai

Re: Mangler's awesome book thread.

Post by Zudai » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:55 pm

I finished the first book to the Lightbringer series. It was very interesting and different than what I am used to, and kept me wanting to read more through out the book. Another good trilogy is the Prince of Thorns trilogy.

Livae

Post by Livae » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 am

Felicia Day's

Book is very cool

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:48 am

I recently finished:

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. He's a Scottish author and not sure how well known outside the UK. It's the second of his book I've read and both are a kind of absurdist, hilarious but very enjoyable genre fiction thriller. Well worth picking this guy up.

The Girl With All The Gifts: Been hearing some good noise about this for a while. Very moreish, enjoyable YA(ish) page turner. Again worth a read.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:37 pm

My latest fictional marathon was probably the Powdermage series by Brian McClellan. God those books are impossible to put down.

He was a student of Brandon Sanderson, which is why I gave him a try. Fantastic all around, I TORE through the 3 books and the 5 or 6 novellas. Recommended it to Yurius and he has been MIA reading/searching for the books ever since.

Zerroth

Post by Zerroth » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
Craft Sequence series by Max Gladstone

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:44 pm

People are really failing me here! Let me know if the book is good, rubbish, and even a short summary! Just listing your books is like turning up at Disneyland and only riding the monorail.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Almost finished with Iron Jackal, third book in Tales of Ketty Jay series, steampunk adventure genre type.

The story and characters remind a lot of Firefly TV show. Characters are quite interesting and complex in a fun way. The writer has a pretty good tempo of storytelling, and it's one of few series that I read/am reading that make me not want to close the book even when I'm dead-tired in bed and the book is falling on my face :D

All in all, if you like Firefly and steampunk, you'll probably like these books...

Instead of writting a short summary myself, here's the one from Goodreads website;
Things are finally looking good for Captain Frey and his crew. The Ketty Jay has been fixed up good as new. They've got their first taste of fortune and fame. And, just for once, nobody is trying to kill them. Even Trinica Dracken, Frey's ex-fiancee and long-time nemesis, has given up her quest for revenge. In fact, she's offered them a job - one that will take them deep into the desert heart of Samarla, the land of their ancient enemies. To a place where the secrets of the past lie in wait for the unwary. Secrets that might very well cost Frey everything.

Join the crew of the Ketty Jay on their greatest adventure yet: a story of mayhem and mischief, roof-top chases and death-defying races, murderous daemons, psychopathic golems and a particularly cranky cat. The first time was to clear his name. The second time was for money. This time, Frey's in a race against the clock for the ultimate prize: to save his own life.

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:08 am

Kordin is my favourite.

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Finally got roun to 'Go Set a Watchman'. Kind of nice to see some of the motivation behind a book as amazing as 'To Kill a Mockingbird', but as a self-contained story in itself I found it not particularly enthralling.

Jomin

Post by Jomin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:25 pm

It's been a while since I've been in game (still coding on Mudlet 3.0.0, repositories: mine, main) but I'm currently working my way through the Recluce fantasy series by L. E. Modesitt Jr. (starts with The Magic of Recluce). I thought I recognised the style of the book cover illustrations on some of the (currently) fourteen books - mainly as tales in one or two volumes but set in different times or places in the same world - and then I spotted the quote 'An intriguing fantasy in a fascinating world' by none other than our beloved Robert Jordan, given the shared publishers (Orbit) I guess they also shared the same artist.

Most of the stories are seemingly on the side of good, referred to as "order" or "black" though there are a couple of books that take the opposite viewpoint of the more numerous (and more aggressive) forces of "chaos" or "white" and there are a very few characters that are more properly grey who can combine some of the nature of both...