Mangler's awesome book thread.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Rig

Re: Mangler's awesome book thread.

Post by Rig » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:08 am

Bump. More books please.

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Mangler is here to save you Rig!

City of Brass by S. A. Chakraborty - great fantasy book set in a Middle Eastern world of myth and magic. Had been on my radar for ages and finally got around to reading it, and loved it. Nice to see a fantasy book without some European medieval default world.

Grey Bastards by Jonathan French - about a bunch of half-orcs riding around fighting actual orcs - absolutely ridiculous but very enjoyable. Definitely one for the 'I fancy something page-turny and a bit stupid' pile.

Luna Moon Rising by Ian McDonald - a great sci-fi author but always feels very underappreciated. This is the final part of a three-part trilogy about warring families on the Moon. Great finale, although I think the series started stronger than it finished (but it actually finished!). The Dervish House by the same author is also a fantastic book worth a read.

Salvation Lost - book 2 of the Salvation Series - by Peter F Hamilton - one of my favourite sci fi authors, and his latest series is a great read too. He just manages to pull off really good world building and pacing. Start with his Commonwealth Saga if you want some of his other great books.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm

I'm bumping this thread where I've gotten some good reading material in the past!

If you are looking for something:
Blindsight - SCI FI space adventure - had me absolutely hooked

Also, I just helped my friend test out a little app he made - you take a picture of a bookshelf and gets recommendations - figured you nerds might like it and its free - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/snapshelf-ai/id6476834174

Artorias

Post by Artorias » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:36 pm

Any of you into Isekai or system apocalypse/apoclypse/litrpg books? There have been a few that I listen to on audible whenever a new one comes out.

erulak

Post by erulak » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:59 pm

Fermin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm
Blindsight - SCI FI space adventure - had me absolutely hooked
I'm finishing up Adrian Tchaikovsky's Final Architecture series. Quality space opera, if you want a science fiction space adventure type of thing.

Also have listened to the Stormlight Archives audiobooks and companion novels over the past couple of months to prepare for book #5.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:25 pm

oh nice! I actually just ordered this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/601 ... st-chances

I'll have to look at the final architecture as well, I really enjoyed the Children of Time series

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:28 pm

Artorias wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:36 pm
Any of you into Isekai or system apocalypse/apoclypse/litrpg books? There have been a few that I listen to on audible whenever a new one comes out.
I didn't know what Isekai is, but after a quick research I think you might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQbYiXyRZjM