Mangler's awesome book thread.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Jestin

Re: Mangler's awesome book thread.

Post by Jestin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Have a few long flights coming up and I want something to pass the time instead of watching movies the whole way. Haven't read much fantasy recently but do you guys have really solid recommendations for something to make time fly by?

Really the only fantasy I've read is WOT and GOT. Please help! You guys have posted so much stuff on this thread which I skimmed through but I'm really looking for a consensus on 1 recommendation. A trilogy would be great, even if there are tons of books after the initial trilogy in the same world.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Well you guys took forever to reply so I just downloaded the Assassin's books from Robin Hobb. Hopefully I won't be disappointed!

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Those books are amazing. Fitz and the Fool! The Rainwild Traders trilogy follow it, same world different characters. They're awesome too, then there's the Fool's trilogy (cry and cry a lot) and yet another Fitz series! Robin Hobb is so gracious too, I absolute love her.

ecthus

Post by ecthus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Jestin wrote: A trilogy would be great, even if there are tons of books after the initial trilogy in the same world.
Not fantasy, but I just finished reading The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin and highly recommend it. Also the first book in a trilogy. Haven't read the second two, but the whole thing's supposed to be good. Chinese scientists communicate with an alien civilization whose planet is being destroyed and are looking for a new one to colonize.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 pm

The Robin Hobb stuff is a good choice, if that doesn’t do it there are two ongoing series right now that I have been enjoying :
Brandon Sanderson The Stormlight Archives
Scott Lynch Gentlemen Bastards Sequence

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:38 am

ecthus wrote:
Jestin wrote: A trilogy would be great, even if there are tons of books after the initial trilogy in the same world.
Not fantasy, but I just finished reading The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin and highly recommend it. Also the first book in a trilogy. Haven't read the second two, but the whole thing's supposed to be good. Chinese scientists communicate with an alien civilization whose planet is being destroyed and are looking for a new one to colonize.
Three Body Problem does not make the time fly you mean bugger!

If you want intensely readable page-turner try Red Rising series by Pierce Brown.

Although realistically I don't think you can do a whole lot better than the Robin Hobb book you downloaded. Gentleman Bastards sequence is another great shout. Stormlight is meh and massively overrated.

Also if you get through the entire Robin Hobb series of Fitz and Fool books without tearing up you're dead inside.

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:40 am

I've just finished book 2 of Powder Mage series - thanks whoever recommended that. Very enjoyable and readable.

Also read Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall - fascinating non-fiction book about how nations are essentially driven by the needs of geography throughout history.

Finally got round to City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Benett which deserved all the hype. A fantasy story set in a really well thought out world and with great characters and no absurd over the top magic.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 am

I've been recently digging into the "Old man's war" series from John Scalzi.

Quite enjoyable, reminds me of Starship Troopers (the book by Heinlein, not the movie :P )

Lykan

Post by Lykan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 am

Jestin wrote:Have a few long flights coming up and I want something to pass the time instead of watching movies the whole way. Haven't read much fantasy recently but do you guys have really solid recommendations for something to make time fly by?

Really the only fantasy I've read is WOT and GOT. Please help! You guys have posted so much stuff on this thread which I skimmed through but I'm really looking for a consensus on 1 recommendation. A trilogy would be great, even if there are tons of books after the initial trilogy in the same world.
Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear (Book 1 & 2 of trilogy, 3rd pending) would be my #1 rec for your purposes. Fun reads, quick and easy, and can be picked up/put down easily.

Fitz books are depressing and overall meh, imo. I found them a bore and a chore.

Stormlight is great, but are all massive books and not really light reading - 3 books released out of 10 planned.

The Gentleman Bastard books are also a solid recommendation for your purposes - all are good, fun reads and can be picked up and put down easily.

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:18 am

Rothfuss would be up there if it wasn't for the fact that only 2 of a 3 book series are released, and it's been a 137? year wait for the second book, with no sign of it ever being written. Maybe it's been a bit less than that.