New books thread!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
jasmin

New books thread!

Post by jasmin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:33 am

Pretty much because I can't find Mangler's. I've recommended some books I've read recently - then listed some favourite authors below.
Feel free to commend on the books, read them, or suggest new ones!

Joseph R Lallo - Free-Wrench series
A steam punk series - 4th book on the way. Main character you first meet working in a steamworks and they abandon their life to go on an adventure in an airship for explainable reasons. Its not as well put together as some of my fav fiction but wow it gets addictive and I love the characters and world.

Jamie McFarlane - Privateer Tales series
Several books and novellas - from interesting characters perspectives. To be honest the Novellas really sold this on me and each book has gotten progressively better. I downloaded the books for free from libgen and felt guilty enough that they were so good I've now ordered some.

Jamie McFarlane - Wizard in a Witchy World series
First book. Seems good. I really love some of the interplay between characters. Again its not high brow fiction but easy to read and addictive. Need to read the second.

Terry Schott - The Game is Life series
Highly recommend. One of the best series I've read. Lots of VR and parallel universes. Again not too heavy - but there is some dark interplay and engaging ideas.

John Biggins - A Sailor of Austria, In Which, Without Really Intending to, Otto Prohaska Becomes Official War Hero No. 27 of the Habsburg Empire
If you haven't read this. Read it. If you like submarines. read it. if you like funny jokes. read it. if you like world war 2 or biographys. read it.
One of my 4-5 favourite books... and I just noticed it might be a series.. Need to check that out. And yes - that was the complete title of the book.

Anthea Sharp - Feyguard series
Surprisingly engaging, I ignored several days of work and WoTmud to read these. Aimed at a younger audience. Actually so are Privateer tales etc. but anyway - its cute and engaging and an easy read.

Daniel O Malley - The Rook and Stiletto
These are fantastic, great twist on magic and abilities and confidence and secret worlds within. Within my favourite 10 or so books.

Ben Aaronovitch - The Peter Grant Series
A switched on London policeman turned wizard - Lots of fun insights. Within my favourite 5 series.

Annie Bellet - the 20 sided sorceress
You can probably tell that if you like sorcerers and DnD you'll like this. Pretty addictive series too. I do recommend.

Tony Bertauski - Halfskin Boxed series
Pretty shitty (and by that possibly realistic) take on how nanotech might get used, abused and controlled. More sophisticated (mostly) than what I've posted above.

The Martian (Easily in my top 5 books)
The Forever War (in my top 50)
Perdido Street Station

All Brandon Sanderson books
All Brent Weeks books
All Richard Morgan books
Most Terry Pratchett books
Most John Scalzi Books
Most Neil Gaiman books (Neverwhere for the win, Stardust is good too but the movie was better)
Most Neil Stephenson books (7 eves, Cryptonomicon, Reamde, Snow Crash, Diamond Age - are all easily in my top 20-30 books)

cael

Re: New books thread!

Post by cael » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:15 am

Will Wight!!!

Can't recommend him enough, 3 series independent of each other

Traveler's Gate series completed with additional novellas. Hack and slash with magic.

Of Shadow & Sea - 2 books written per novel, 2 novels so far (4 books), one from each of the 2 main protagonist's perspective - flipping awesome each in their own rights

Unsouled - 3 books so far, coming of age in asian themed magic world - awesome books full of action and quick pace

and Kindle price sets them all super low price point

Firimei Lang

Post by Firimei Lang » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:40 am

I really can't get into Brandon Sanderson's books, all Terry Pratchett is always an amazingly great read.
Robin Hobb's Fitz and the Fool, prior to that Assassins Apprentice trilogy etc and so on.
Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction is always great, fiction with a lot of real events used as the centre point.
Ken Follett is another great author with historical themes.

I was brought up , or I brought myself on Fantasy, now its more historical themed books. Foregoing GRRM and Robin Hobb and so on.

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 am

Joe Abercrombie for that gritty, "I'm not sure if I'm supposed to cheer for these guys or not" feel.

alima

Post by alima » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:44 am

Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear were amazing. We're still waiting for the third installment, but the first two were excellent.

I also really enjoyed the Malazan Book of the Fallen books, especially the first few.

If you enjoy medieval, historical fiction type books, I highly recommend Stephen Lawhead, particularly if you're interested in the Arthurian cycle of stories.

But of course, the best series of books ever written (in my humble opinion) is Stephen King's epic fantasy series The Dark Tower. If you haven't read it, you need to. It's amazing. Don't judge the series by the first book.

Firimei Lang

Post by Firimei Lang » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:02 pm

alima wrote:Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear were amazing. We're still waiting for the third installment, but the first two were excellent.

I also really enjoyed the Malazan Book of the Fallen books, especially the first few.

If you enjoy medieval, historical fiction type books, I highly recommend Stephen Lawhead, particularly if you're interested in the Arthurian cycle of stories.

But of course, the best series of books ever written (in my humble opinion) is Stephen King's epic fantasy series The Dark Tower. If you haven't read it, you need to. It's amazing. Don't judge the series by the first book.

Yeah i have Mr Lawheads books, they are good. Also still a soft spot for Piers Antony..

Grabel

Post by Grabel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Thread says books not fantasy books so thought i would mention John Hart. Heard good things about him, and about to read a book of him

Itesh

Post by Itesh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:04 am

I've owed 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson for about three years without getting past the first chapter and now I'm HOOKED.

Otoan

Post by Otoan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm currently reading the last book in Robin Hobb's new Fitz and the Fool trilogy. I'd also recommend Target Seventeen Must Die by M L Clark. It's a quick good read. It's only available through Amazon Kindle, but it's only $2.99.

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 pm

2312 worth a read then? I find Kim Stanley Robinson a bit tough sometimes, started off absolutely loving his Mars trilogy but then don't think I finished it.

Big shout out to the Peter Grant stories too. Genuinely some of the most readable books out there. I wasn't that bothered with Rivers of London and only picked up book 2 in a second hand shop, but glad I did.

I've been reading Sebastien de Castell - Greatcloaks series. Actually very enjoyable action-packed fantasy with good world building.

The Fireman by Joe Hill - enjoyable weird take on an apocalypse, good read too.

Europe in Autumn - another weird one, kind of sci-fi near dystopian future. Took a while to get into it but actually really enjoyed it.

Not sure whatever hundreds of books I've been reading as I've forgotten!