Open Classic Mafia 1 - Game over

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
xoco

Open Classic Mafia 1 - Game over

Post by xoco » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:50 am

Welcome to Open Classic Mafia 1. The theme of this Mafia is ELEPHANTS. They are cute, and they do not forget.

GAME OVER

The Living
Arkan
Isha

The Remembered
Carlia the Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 1
Bubba the Vanilla Townie - Killed Night 1
Eldrenia the Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 2
Auriona the Vanilla Townie - Killed Night 2
Astolfo the Mafia Goon - Lynched Day 3
Joolis the Townie Cop - Killed Night 3
Brocas the Mafia Roleblocker - Lynched Day 4

Events
Start of Day 1: viewtopic.php?p=28054#p28054
End of Day 1: viewtopic.php?p=28223#p28223
Start of Day 2: viewtopic.php?p=28342#p28342
End of Day 2: viewtopic.php?p=28499#p28499
Start of Day 3: viewtopic.php?p=28589#p28589
End of Day 3: viewtopic.php?p=28606#p28606
Start of Day 4: viewtopic.php?p=28690#p28690
Game over: viewtopic.php?p=28788#p28788
Last edited by xoco on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 22 times in total.

xoco

Rules and play advice

GAME RULES

4-day Day phase, 48-hour Night phase
Majority lynches
48 hours before prod, 48 hours before replacement
OOC - No role / kill flavor

Pre-Game

The confirmation phase is to ensure that players have read and understood their role PMs. The Mafia's private topic is open for use during this period. Players should confirm by responding to mod via PM with their assigned alignment and role. Pre-game lasts for 48 hours or until all players have submitted valid confirmations, whichever occurs first.

Day

The Day phase ends at deadline or when a simple majority of votes occur. Day phases will have a deadline of 4 days. The Mafia's private topic is closed during this period. Deadline extensions will be granted only in exceptional circumstances.

Lynches occur through simple majority (50% of living players + 1, rounded down). If no majority is reached at deadline or there is a majority of votes for No Lynch, Day will end without a lynch.

Players may vote, or unvote, for players to be lynched by posting their choices in bold (e.g., Vote: Xoco and Unvote). Unvotes are preferred but not necessary when switching votes (e.g., Unvote, Vote: Xoco).

Twilight

The Twilight phase is the period between the hammer vote (i.e., the last vote that put someone at a majority) and the beginning of the Night phase. Once a majority is reached, no further votes or unvotes will count. All players, including the lynched player, are allowed to talk in Twilight phase until the lynched player is killed by mod and the Day ends. Dead players may not post until the game has been officially declared over.

Night

The Night phase lasts 48 hours. The Mafia's private topic is open for use during this period.

Actions may be submitted via PM or by Mafia in the private topic. Actions not received by deadline will be considered forfeit. Actions may be submitted ahead of time and can be changed as many times as desired; at deadline, the last valid action that was submitted will be used. Wherever possible, a reminder is sent 24 hours before the deadline to all players with an eligible action.

Prods

Prods are automatically issued after 48 hours of inactivity. Players who have been prodded have 48 hours to post in the game thread before a replacement is sought. An excessive number of prods can lead to replacement without further notice.

Miscellaneous

If something needs my attention or you need to tell me anything, whether about your status as player, something in-game, or otherwise, bold your text in-thread.

If you're unsure about anything at all, please feel free to ask. I'm here to help.

GAMEPLAY RULES

1. This is a game. Have fun. Please keep the game civil and avoid personal attacks. Use of homophobic, racist, sexist, or any other derogatory slurs will not be tolerated. Just play your part and help to make the game fun for everyone!

2. Play to win. Players are expected to play to their win condition. Do not purposefully act against the interests of your faction out of your boredom or anger.

3. All votes and unvotes must be bolded, e.g. Vote: Xoco, Vote: No Lynch, Unvote and should be on a new line.

4. A simple majority is required to lynch or no lynch and when this has been reached any further votes/unvotes will be ignored. If deadline is passed before this happens there will be no lynch.

5. While this game is running, you may not discuss this game anywhere outside of the game thread unless you have been explicitly allowed to do so by the mod. This is a modkillable offense.

6. Do not quote any private communication. You may paraphrase mod PMs if you wish, but if you are not sure your wording will be acceptable then you are welcome to check with me first. This is a modkillable offense.

7. Do not edit your posts, ever. If you mess something up, whether it's a typo, formatting goof, or something else, simply post again to fix it. Editing your posts is underhanded and not in the spirit of the game. I recommend previewing your post before posting. This is a modkillable offense.

8. Any requests/points addressed to mod in the thread (including problems with vote counts) should be bolded. If you have any complaints/problems with this game, or questions about your role, please send me a PM rather than posting them in the thread.

Any situation, including those not covered above, will be handled on a case-by-case basis. I reserve the right to add, modify, or remove rules as necessary. I will notify you of any changes in the thread.

In general, anything that may be seen as underhanded that is not in this post may still be against the rules. Attempts to abuse technicalities in the rules will be considered rule violations.

Please PM me if you need clarification on anything in the rules (or otherwise).

-----

The game
In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia. (Mafia, or any faction who win when Town is dead, are also known as "scum".)

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will privately send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in a basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch. They are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town). When a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night.

During the Night, the thread is "locked" and no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same).

Play advice
It is recommended to each vote randomly at the start of the first Day phase as a way to get discussion going. It is imperative that Town reaches a lynch at the end of each Day phase. No Lynch is almost never beneficial to Town in a normal game, a common exception being an endgame situation when there are no clear scum and lynching wrongly will result in a scum victory. Town must do all they can to uncover scum by scrutinizing everyone's behavior and must figure out who the other Townies are so that they can work together in catching scum. Scum must do all they can to fit in and misdirect Town without giving themselves away.

It is acceptable to role claim if you are being threatened with a lynch, but do not reveal your role lightly. Any specific information you reveal will disproprtionately benefit the Mafia. They know who Town are, but not who has what role. Keep in mind that Mafia may lie to claim to have roles that they do not have, e.g., the Cop, so do not simply believe someone when they claim a role. It is never beneficial for Town to lie and claim a role they do not have, however. Lying is one thing that Town should never do. Town is the uninformed majority, and what little information they do get is very precious.

If another player claims a role that you have and that they could statistically not have (e.g., there's only 1 cop in the game, or you are the last Vanilla Townie alive) or that contradicts information that you know, you should counter their claim with a claim of your own (but never claim on someone else's behalf!). Mafia will generally try to lie just as much as they possibly can without getting caught. For example, Mafia could counter a true claim with a fake claim, or fake a claim in order to force someone to counter with a true claim, if they think they can get away with it. If all that sounds convoluted and paranoia-inducing, welcome to Mafia.
Last edited by xoco on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 17 times in total.

xoco

Roles

Here are the roles that will appear in the game, and their role PMs.

Scum:
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Mafia Goon

Town:
1 Doctor
1 Cop
5 Vanilla Townies

You are a Mafia Roleblocker, along with your partner _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens, or if nothing can prevent the same. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, it will make things much easier).

Each Night you may communicate with your partner in the Mafia private topic. Each Night you and your partner may tell me the name of one player to kill as your factional kill, and which of you will perform the kill, and you may tell me the name of one player who you wish to block from taking any action that Night (the player will not be told that they were roleblocked).

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during pre-game to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One.
You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partner _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remain; you win if this happens, or if nothing can prevent the same. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, it will make things much easier).

Each Night you may communicate with your partner in the Mafia private topic. Each Night you and your partner may tell me the name of one player to kill as your factional kill, and which of you will perform the kill.

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during pre-game to plan strategy, but no kills will happen until Night One.
You are the Doctor, and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective (the person you protect will never die on the night they are protected), unless you are roleblocked. You may not protect yourself.
You are the Cop, and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result, unless you are roleblocked, in which case you will receive No Result. You cannot investigate yourself.
You are a Vanilla Townie, and you have no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch scum during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
Last edited by xoco on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carlia

Re: Open Classic Mafia 1 - Sign up Queue

Post by Carlia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:51 am

I'm in

Aira

Post by Aira » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:55 am

I'd like to play!

Torgor

Post by Torgor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:59 am

I'd like to play as well!