Non pk qps rewards for clanneds

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Sarryn

Re: Non pk qps rewards for clanneds

Post by Sarryn » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:32 am

Yeah the more I hear from heavy smobbers. The more I want to stand firm on my limit of turning them in. As is right now your pretty SoL if you don't pk to master. Atleast with say even 250 max every 6-12 months you have a chance. This is a step in the right direction. Mastering off smobbing should never be as easy as pking lol. I just want make that perfectly clear. Smobbing is little to no risk. Even more so now days then the past. Given the little to no raiding. (God I miss the old days)

So if this idea was imped it would definitely need a cap on it. I'm perfectly fine with 250 every 6 months or even 3 months.

That being said, can we think of other easy to imp ideas besides rewarding smobs?
Last edited by Sarryn on Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Racquel

Post by Racquel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:53 am

Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give coded qps for unlimited smob scalp turn in. I'd be Rank 8 next week and Rank 9 in a month. Ok... Maybe not. But, just no.

I've mastered 2 characters in 10 years. Neither of them have gotten any (maybe the odd scalp, but basically none) Qps from pk. Mastering without pk is bloody hard and I don't have the time to ever do it again (likely) but I'll survive. I'll never make rank 8 (SIDE NOTE: Even less chance of this now that other masters want scalps again!).

But smobbing for qps is just too easy. It's a nice 'fix' in theory, but it's not just the 'rper' that will run off and smob. It'll be the pkers as well. In fact, why pk at all when you get 3 of your best friends and get a definite no-risk reward - especially if there's just the 1 pesky troll on at a stupid playtime who won't leave RK anyway.

Pk breeds Pk and if there's an easy alternative like smobbing, numbers won't increase (maybe). And even if it doesn't affect pk all that much, there's still a lot of pk down time. So the roleplayer will get qps smobbing, the pkers will get qps pking AND smobbing. Still a disparity.

I would LOVE to be able to get qps reliably another way. But I've thought a lot about it and I can't think of a good solution - but I do think smobbing is not a good one. I do agree with whoever said clan councils need to step up. In the past, clans have been really good at this. But in days of lesser activity, there's only a few clans that have an active council - largely because there's people out there that treat the council flag as a trophy and never actually log on despite their best intentions. But that's another problem altogether.

krul

Post by krul » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:18 am

Racquel wrote:In fact, why pk at all when you get 3 of your best friends and get a definite no-risk reward
Because PK is fun and risk makes it so! QPs are just a weird vestige of PK, like gear/tps/giggling fits. That's right, vestige damnit!

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:59 am

VESTIGE DANN IT!

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:03 am

Like said, put a limit on it. Problem solved, for the most part. Honestly think SS the most needs this. That side is atrociously lacking for pk lately. Near pointless to log on it. It would bring some activity back at least. Which despite what SS haters say is a good thing. Other then closing the side and or merging it with LS. SS is low numbers always, no channelers or major firepower. Huge disadvantage compared to other side's. Much easier to kill 2-4 SSers smobbing then say 2-6+ LS or DS. Backup is much easier on both these sides and more bonused/firepower.

LS it's a pretty good theory. There's a fair amount albeit much more slim chance to get pked doing smobs.

DS has it cakewalk for this avenue though, just like exping and mob support through the world. Someone loves ds upstairs. Not sure I'd not put a significantly smaller limit on this side. Like maybe even a quarter of the other side's limit. DS is not and I repeat not supposed to be a smobbing side. It's all about pk and should be. When I say this, I mean that in a book sense. To me SS and LS is way more risk smobbing then DS. Smobs are easy as fk on DS and DS is more then willing to do it. I can't honestly even fathom getting qps for smobbing on DS to be honest.

2 cents!

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:08 am

DS should get its qps from PK.

Could make city heads and certain southern big-name mobs worth qps though: like kings and queens, certain mobs that are in certain cities with patties (think Fanico, Duberman, Galenne, etc).

If trollocs go hit those mobs, it is most likely going to generate pk anyhow :P

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:14 am

Agreed razhak. Honestly when I made this post it wasn't for DS even in the slightest sense. SS and LS only honestly. That being said, I am all for your suggestion. 15-25 qps per clan head for DSers is something I'd love to see. I have no one who'd benefit from this. But anything that creates DS raiding cities or even south again I'm up for!

Pulverwise

Post by Pulverwise » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:52 am

Any motivation to hit city heads would get a huge thumbs up from me. Been wanting things in the north to be worth hitting for years! Remember when Agelmar used to load basically the best ABS plate in the game? Give Agelmar Murgoz ABS!

Now the only city heads worth hitting simply for the load are stupidly far SE or stupidly far SW. Be great to get QP from them.

Having said that, I've had quests up on the Ghar board for quite some time, and there's no interesting in them despite being a big active clan.

I think any focus on SMOB/Non-PK awards really need to be on LS. Would it be possible to have a mob that you give smob scalps to that gives say a 20% chance of awarding a QP to the person who hands it in for certain smobs?

Maeglin

Post by Maeglin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:14 am

Pulverwise wrote:Having said that, I've had quests up on the Ghar board for quite some time, and there's no interesting in them despite being a big active clan.
That was the case with Deathwatch too when I was active. Why bother going to tear for 2 qps when you could get 15 in an hr EF? On LS tho, people were a bit more open to questing.

It would be neat to see something like this implemented though. I would smob for qps when pk died down, so if it helps keep people online instead of "PK? *rent*" then cool. Definitely just start the testing period on the ultraconservative side.

Shamara

Post by Shamara » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:48 am

In spite of not being a pker and the Blue Ajah also not having council quests or even awarding Aes Sedai for RP and it taking me like a year just to reach rank 6 (haha) and having no masters. So in short, I'm a player who could really benefit from it but I do not support qps for smobs.

-Too easy; not enough risk
-Might cause some pkers to pk less and smob more (we need more pk, not less pk)
-Extra vetting for when we put someone up for the shawl / mastering. Eww.

Counter proposal: Players take more initiative regarding council quests (and make more council require smobbing)
-Council isn't active? Then ask your Watcher (staff if you don't have one) to start a new council vote.
-Not on council? Why let that stop you from pitching quests to someone who is?

Pros:
-The new council quests will already have the built in limit of qps (about 30 every 6 months max) which means no huge qp bloat incoming and won't likely draw players away from PK
e.g., not enough qps to suddenly become more efficient to grind qps for the players who value efficiency and reaching master quickly over PK.

-Put power completely into players' hands rather than requiring imms.

Cons:
-Players will get a max of 30 qps extra every six months (for those who don't already have council quests in place) which might not be enough to appease the crowd.

-Players will have to take initiative on their own to see this implemented.
Last edited by Shamara on Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.