Non pk qps rewards for clanneds

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Sarryn

Non pk qps rewards for clanneds

Post by Sarryn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:01 am

This was brought up in the other post. I think it definitely deserves it's own post. While I've never been in this situation. I could certainly see how extremely frustrating this might be for some players. Those ones that don't play this game for the player killing. I think they deserve more avenues towards qps rewards. Be that more clan quests, council quests, rewards for smobs (hey idea 1qp per smob head, while not a lot it's something), more rewards for rping in general. Maybe we even start having council give rewards for those rpers who post rp logs and or posts. I'm all for giving everyone the chance to master. I loathe the elitist attitude and hierarchy to begin with. There's 0 reason that people who either choose not pk or can't pk well to not gain these rewards that us pkers obtain. Ideas, discuss?!

Hope

Re: Non pk qps rewards for clanneds

Post by Hope » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:33 am

If we got 1 qp per smob head, instead of 10 years, it would have taken me 10 minutes haha. Good idea though! really good pkers can bring home a few scalps per pk session, a few sessions a day at 5qp per pop...looking at 30-50ish qps per day. People like me, who prefer to smob and just generally do things with friends, not necessarily pk all the time, might get one of those random qp for rping the the right room or something, or completing a quest. Also...with the scalp shortage, why not have gaidin apprentices mail logs of kills instead of taking the scalps?

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:39 am

While I could certainly see the problem with the smob qps idea. Specially given if you have friends just willing to feed you only the scalps. In my mind I was more thinking of a smob group to hit it. Not your over bonused warder pairs etc. Where as you'd have to split between the group 1 head of a smob. Which generally takes a decent amount of time. I would say maybe a 50-150qps limit per irl year turn in max on this would nullify it though. Also it could only be for certain harder to do smobs. Definitely not the easy cake ones like dwellers etc. Again just throwing out an idea feel free to make it better or add new ones!

Hope

Post by Hope » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:51 am

to make it equivalent to pk scalp rewards, there couldn't be limits on it though. The more time/effort/skill you have in pk, the more qps you get period. People who don't pk much have all sorts of rules. Only 3 bells, only 5 tin chits, an occational quest or random qp for rping in the right room. Its not even close to being balanced, but in my opinion, that is ok. While it would be nice to be able to farm qps in ways other than pk, (because pkers can farm qps like crazy with a little bit of skill), this is a PK mud. Its been around for a long time this way, and will still be around no matter what changes or doesn't change. It would be nice to offer more rewards for other routes than pk though.

Hope

Post by Hope » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 am

And if you start making rules like warder/sedai pairs shouldn't get smob scalp rewards (if its ever impd) is obsurd. That's like saying if you get a kill at a patty, you cant get qps for the scalp, or if you are a serk warrior, or fade, or bash a horse, or whatever. There are lots of things that are bonused, and each bonus has its share of maluses. Are you going to try to limit rogues who can stab certain smobs solo? No...what we need is less red tape, not more. If a sedai/warder want to farm a few smobs, or a rogue wants to stab a few, or if a group wants to wreck them all, should be fine. 1 qp is not much, but for people who smob a lot it can start to add up. Lots of pkers can get 5 scalps in the time it would take a sedai/warder pair to hit 5 smobs. 5 qp vs 25. Just my two cents.

Brocas

Post by Brocas » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:03 am

I would love to see more monthly quests. I really enjoyed the summer quests. It gave me something to do that wasn't focused on PKing. Since the summer quest series ended, my QPs earned per time played has dropped significantly. I'm not really being driven to play this game for QPs which is why I haven't really been vocal in asking for more quests or other non-pk related QP rewards, but it would definitely give me another set of tasks to complete.

The QP for smob heads is also interesting. I don't think there would be a huge QP bloat. Based off of Hope's numbers (which may or may not be bloated).... you'd have to hit 30-50 smobs a day to earn equal number of QPs as pkers (assuming all heads got fed to 1 person)? I just don't know if I see that happening... I certainly don't have that kind of time.

Another interesting observation from my experience, which may not fit the mold of WoTMUD in general. Gaidin have 5 or 6 quests they can do to earn QPs. The hand full of Gaidin I spoke with hadn't even thought or attempted to do them. I can only assume it's easier (better QP/time vested) to PK then complete the tasks. However, a player like me, who is not as PK focused, I've already completed most of them and have to wait and hope that next year we'll get some new ones to do. I would love to see these quests changed more frequently and since the good pkers already ignore them, I don't see a problem with having them changed more frequently allowing for an alternative way to earn QP.

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:08 am

A huge amount of what is being described here can be fixed by active Councils and Masters actually doing their jobs to encourage a clan.

Set quests, award for logs etc... Players can do a lot to help with this.

As for other ways. There's already a random % mobol chance of QP award in certain ranks of the Tower. How about adding that kind of mobol to the end of certain quest chains, where say the CHEST is opened it triggers a chance of everyone in the room getting 1qp? I'm not sure how possible that is.

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:41 am

Wasn't at all saying that hope, believe you mistook my statement. I simply said a warder pair is over bonused. Not that they can't get the rewards. I personally actually really like the smob 1qp per head idea. Make it only on the non soloable smobs. While I understand what your saying hope given this idea/vs pk rewards. Let's also take into account, you didn't have this before. So be happy with what you have, and not complain about what you don't get compared to now type of thing. I think it has potential.. I don't see it becoming a huge problem. I can see people focusing only on one person and them potentially getting 30-50qps per day. Which is honestly a little absurd from just smobbing, let's be real. Hence the max qps turn in for smobs to nullify it. This would at the least give you 150 or so more qps then you had in that year... heck I'd even be ok with 250qps per year via smob turn in. That's 4 years with no other scalps and or quests to master. Much better then some people have taken/faired to get there. Again be happy with what you get, it's not going to be on par with pking. I don't believe it should be, maybe you do?

Hope

Post by Hope » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:16 am

I like Petra's statement a lot too. Clans are allowed to make their own quests, and change them periodically.

Xierian

Post by Xierian » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:28 am

Back in Seandar, in the age of the Seanchan, rp'in/smobbing/exploring was a large part of some of the clans. I know that in the Seanchan Imperial Guard, you could get around 250 of the 1000 through this method. Because of this, I knew Seandar VERY well, and it had lots of nucks and grannies to explore/learn.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like brought back so that there is an alternative to just going out and either killing or be killed.

This was in LARGE part due to the master of the clan at the time though. He put in SO much work designing the tasks to be done. That was all he really could do seeing as he was blind and all. But, I like the idea too!