Bots and Mini Games / Traders

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
raal

Bots and Mini Games / Traders

Post by raal » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Just something I was thinking about making that would be fun - and want to OK it with staff.

For example:

If I want to write a gambler bot - that maybe does a zone yell every 5 minutes or so and then anyone can come gamble with me...is that OK?
Thinking about the gambling room in Caemlyn...?

Similar - a merchant bot that has some wares and anyone can buy them?

I believe these are currently against the rules, but I think they could be a fun way for people who can't actively play but are working at their computers to interact...if it was permissible (maybe even limited to Ceamlyn) we could help each other on projects. And create kind of an artificial feel of activity in Caemlyn.

Neveyan

Re: Bots and Mini Games / Traders

Post by Neveyan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:17 pm

I've been saying for 10 years now that many of these (can't Impliment due to coding) can be hacked around via setting up imm privileged bots. This is against imm rules as it requires imms to effectivly be multiplaying which I think they should change.

raal

Post by raal » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:26 pm

So would it be against the rules, to have my character doing stuff while I am at the computer but not doing all the controlling?

For example - If I build a mercenary character, code it so that if someone gives me 10k gold I will deposit the gold and then follow them and obey all orders...is that against the rules?

Brocas

Post by Brocas » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:29 pm

I personally think so.. but just my opinion.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:45 pm

Yeah, that would be against the rules:
Botting.
Using 'bots' or 'botting', ie having your character do stuff in the game using a script which benefits you or others whilst you are not actually present at the keyboard yourself is, effective immediately, expressly NOT PERMITTED. This includes the botting of:

statting characters;
Giving & holding weaves;
Giving & holding heals;
Giving qps;
Growing herbs;
Specific zone repop-related actions;
Leading a PC around to assist you by default or using triggers whilst he/she is not at the keyboard; and
Any other things that benefit you or others.

Now obviously there is a bit of discretion in this, as we don't expect you to drop all your weaves everytime that you need to get a coffee. So, as a reasonable compromise, for one-time events where you can prove that you have been active for 50 of the previous 60 minutes, if you're going to be afk and totally inactive for less than 10 minutes even if either yourself or someone else is gaining something by your staying online then that's ok. But, more than 10 minutes, you MUST rent or drop weaves instead. Essentially, if there is no gain to you or anyone else, then there is no problem with this at all (ie simple anti-idle/afk reply scripts to keep you from idling whilst you're not holding a weave for someone else).

Failure to observe these guidelines will result in whatever measures the imm of the moment deems neccessary to both punish and terminate the activity. Besides incurring, at a minimum, zaps of at least 5 levels, such measures may additionally take rp form (an assassin might backstab you to death) or forced linkdrops/character purges (which may lose you all your gear), but they are not limited to either.
I understand where you're coming from and I obviously see the risk involved to any of your characters if you were to hire yourself out as an orderable mercenary. I don't think people botting will actually make the game feel more lively, though, and it could present some balance issues.

Paj

Post by Paj » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Jana does my bidding.

Jomin

Post by Jomin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:12 pm

raal wrote:...code it so that if someone gives me 10k gold I will deposit the gold and then follow them and obey all orders...is that against the rules?
Elysia wrote:...Leading a PC around to assist you by default or using triggers whilst he/she is not at the keyboard...
So, reading the small print: it might be technically permissible provided you were in the normal keyboard-human-display position and could interact if necessary - like with current generation of autonomous motor vehicles in some legislations where you are permitted to take your hands off the wheel but must still be present to intervene/interact. Of course you need to be there to answer questions of any immortal who might want to ask you: "What in the Dark are you doing?" so they don't zap/nuke/throw dark lightening bolts at you in short order! :twisted: