ABS uniques and rares

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Tran

Re: ABS uniques and rares

Post by Tran » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:19 pm

"Compare that to 10+ uniques for combers that are awesome, and literally hundreds of rares over 6 classes that offer top of the line weaponry."

Weapons:
The battle flail of shol Arbela - Never seen this, ever. - Combo
The blue scourge of justice - Abs
Al'Akir's despair, the bronze headed voulge of the Malkeri - Combo
Jade partisan - Combo
a heartstone tipped spear with an ivory shaft - Combo
Laman's folly, the spiraled staff of Avendoraldera - Dodge?
the Hatchet of Hawking - Combo
Malfeasor, the twin bladed scythe of blood ebony - Abs
a cleaver of steel - Abs
a cleaver of hundredfold steel - Abs
a heron marked foil - Combo
the sword of Kirukan - Combo
the massive blade daes'shan - Abs
the ancient greatsword Justice - Combo
a heron marked blade with a jeweled hilt - Combo
the glazed katars of Mondoran - Dodge
Mandarb'a'dai - Dodge
a silver hilted stiletto - Dodge
a gold hilted stiletto - Dodge
a ruby dagger - Don't use this the taint gets insane. No pun intended. Dodge
a blackened half moon sickle - Never seen this, ever. Dodge

Total Uniques :

Combo : 9
Dodge : 7
Abs : 5

Awesome Uniques :

Combo : Justice, Lamans, K sword and arguably Heartsone (because of charge + attack)

Dodge : Katars, Mandard, Silver, Gold, and I can only imagine half moon must be badass.

Abs : Malf, Cleaver and Daes.

I feel there should be 3 or 4 more ABS uniques just because they are fun and interesting weapons and will most likely change hands often, making being an Abser funner to play. I had Cleaver with 19 str and 17 con for about a week and I found it an interesting experience. Abs is definitely harder to play successfully but the sheer damage output was incredible.

Maybe with more, we'd see them in play more often... I think that's where the major difference is between abs and combo uniques.
You feel like there are less because we literally see them less because they are less played. You will often see the combo uniques because it's "easier" to fight and stay alive and therefore hold onto a combo unique as opposed to an Abs unique.
So you feel there are less Abs uniques when in fact there are 3 powerful combo and 3 powerful abs uniques. They just aren't in play as often as their counterparts.

Keep in mind that's just an idea, and goes off my play times. Maybe all the abs uniques and dodge uniques are in constant play but not during my play times. However I often see the combo uniques in play for the most part.

krul

Post by krul » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:45 pm

Tran wrote:Weapons:
The battle flail of shol Arbela - Never seen this, ever. - Dodge
The blue scourge of justice - Abs
Al'Akir's despair, the bronze headed voulge of the Malkeri - Dodge
Jade partisan - Dodge
a heartstone tipped spear with an ivory shaft - Dodge
Laman's folly, the spiraled staff of Avendoraldera - Dodge
the Hatchet of Hawking - Dodge
Malfeasor, the twin bladed scythe of blood ebony - Abs
a cleaver of steel - Abs
a cleaver of hundredfold steel - Abs
a heron marked foil - Dodge
the sword of Kirukan - Dodge
the massive blade daes'shan - Abs
the ancient greatsword Justice - Dodge
a heron marked blade with a jeweled hilt - Dodge
the glazed katars of Mondoran - Dodge
Mandarb'a'dai - Dodge
a silver hilted stiletto - Dodge
a gold hilted stiletto - Dodge
a ruby dagger - Don't use this the taint gets insane. No pun intended. Dodge
a blackened half moon sickle - Never seen this, ever. Dodge

Total Uniques :

Combo : nah
Dodge : 16
Abs : 5

Awesome Uniques :

Dodge: Justice, Lamans, K sword and arguably Heartsone (because of charge + attack), Katars, Mandard, Silver, Gold, and I can only imagine half moon must be badass.
Fixed that tally for you.

Leiloni wrote:I loved cleaver shredded the dung outta people. An abser is supposed to die.
*Everyone* is supposed to die.

Venum wrote:Who says a blademaster has to be defensive? I mean the only people who can get the blademaster tag are zerking absers.
The blademaster tag isn't exactly in line with WoT roleplay, blademasters were always known by the heron markings on their swords, i.e., if someone had a heron-marked blade, you knew they were a blademaster. At one point a very young Rand is seen with a heron marked blade and some thugs don't believe that he's a blademaster because of his age, despite the sword, until they decide to try to fight him. (If I'm remembering correctly!) There are blademasters who don't use the swords, though, like Galad, although Galad wasn't recognized as a true blademaster despite his extraordinary skill until he beat a blademaster in one on one combat - and still refused afterwards to use the heron-marked blade to distinguish himself (when you defeat a blademaster it's your right to take their sword, usually the blademaster would be dead but Galad refused to kill him as well, just going off my memory). This is presumably the RP loophole that the MUD uses to create the blademaster tag. It kind of diminishes the meaningfulness of the term in my mind, but there's a lot of stuff in the MUD that isn't exactly aligned with the books, so it's all good. Anyway, considering that, I agree, if the blademaster thing isn't true WoT roleplay, why should heron-marked blades also be required to be true to it? An abs heron doesn't make sense with the way blademasters fought in the books, but then again fragging people's heads and feet doesn't make sense either.

Rig

Post by Rig » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:51 pm

You can use any of those dodge weapons in combo and vice versa. Herons can be wielded 2 handed with ABS. Doesn't give a whole lot of defense but still does the damage. Arguably you can use any of these weapons in ABS. The dmg output is going to be the same whether you are in abs, combo, or dodge. They do give a lot of defense, which is why almost everyone uses them in combo/dodge.

Cil

Post by Cil » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:24 pm

All those daggers but katars and maybeeeeee mandarb are out of the game and not coming back from what I've been told.

Rig

Post by Rig » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:26 pm

Need to have stilettos to make Mandarb. Only ones that will never be back are sickle and ruby tbh

Venum

Post by Venum » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:36 pm

In the books, to be a blademaster you had to defeat one in 1 v 1 combat. Rand became one when he killed that Seanchan dude in I think the second book. You don't have to have a heron mark blade, but in the books they are only wielded by blademasters. Not that this game follows rp exactly at all, but the rp of how people get the bm flag is actually pretty accurate to the books- defeat one in solo combat.

And yeah you can wield a heron two handed, but for it to bash well you need a shield as well. Having an abs heron would force people to play it in abs, and they would change hands a lot and it would be fun. The way it is, people play like pansies if they have a heron, partially because it is set up as defensive. Of course not everyone plays like that but a lot do.

krul

Post by krul » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Venum wrote:Not that this game follows rp exactly at all, but the rp of how people get the bm flag is actually pretty accurate to the books- defeat one in solo combat.
What I meant was more the way that the blademaster is just a mob and there's no actual skill involved in becoming one, and how it also has nothing to do with heron-marked blades. Who was the Seanchan blademaster he killed? I remember that happening but not any of the circumstances or the name of the guy. And wasn't Rand one of the youngest blademasters ever according to Lan? Oh lord, don't make me re-read the books!
Last edited by krul on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Choen

Post by Choen » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Bring back Krul

Lykan

Post by Lykan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:02 pm

Tural or Turak or something - he was the lord/guy in charge of the invasion in Falme. Lots of nice, purdy lacquered nails and such. I think he actually used a heron which was described as being larger than normal and with a long, decorative hilt (abs heron?!), but I might be imagining that.

Pretty sure you could also become a blademaster if a council of 9 existing blademasters or something judged you worthy, but that was just mentioned by Lan, maybe, because the books take place in a time where blademasters are all but myth.

krul

Post by krul » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Lykan wrote:Pretty sure you could also become a blademaster if a council of 9 existing blademasters or something judged you worthy, but that was just mentioned by Lan, maybe, because the books take place in a time where blademasters are all but myth.
Oh right, I remember that - part of the trouble with anyone being declared a blademaster by that method was that there were no longer enough living blademasters. I remember always feeling slightly sad when a blademaster died after finding that out.