Lottery

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Razhak

Lottery

Post by Razhak » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:31 am

Before the prizes get announced, I would like to commend the immortals about this Lottery: it is a nice and perhaps more fun alternative then the auction. It feels more fair that everyone can get a shot, even if people with more cash get more chances because they can purchase more tickets.

It gives a feel that everyone can get in on the fun if they invest a bit of effort instead of just looking at an auction thread and thinking "why bother" after the auction hits the 20K threshold and above :P

Perhaps this is something that can be made into an recurring event?

Paj

Re: Lottery

Post by Paj » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:12 am

Lotteries will produce the effect of wasted effort still for a majority of players. That is the basis of a lottery, everyone pitches in and one, or a few, win. The rest have wasted their gold to no effect whatsoever.

Though she did put in the portion of tin chits for follow-ups on the high items, which is a nice consolation. But if you were a newer/junior-player on the lesser items without consolation tin chits, you just spent all the gold you had accumulated in the whole time you've been playing and gained nothing.

Say you spent a whole bank account (not knowing you could store 5k gold in backpacks in rent) on tickets across the board and didn't win anything. Wheras in an auction you keep your gold for the next auction or use it to purchase items from another player.

It is indeed a more fair alternative for the chancing player against high bidders but it still has its major downfalls. Nobody likes leaving the game sad-faced. Its not what games are for.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:32 am

Everyone understands how lotteries work.
No one participating should be miffled if they dont win.
Thats a lottery for you!

I think it is nice. I have some cash in my rent, and some in my bank, I bought some tickets (2x heron, 1x warmaul and 1x jcuffs) just for fun. Thats what the lottery is: fun.

Newer players should perhaps not be worrying about lotteries, but more about getting basic eq. Once lotteries become more common, perhaps gold-based economy will take off more because even for non-gold hoarding oldbies, gold will become more valuable (because they would want to participate in lotteries!) and they will start selling newbies stuff for gold... which might increase the fun for everyone!

Eol

Post by Eol » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:48 pm

I think its amusing if experienced players throw in a few thousand for a lark. It doesn't make a lick of sense to throw in any more than that. The amount of money being expended right now on some of the lesser items is significantly greater than bids which would have guaranteed you the item in the past.

On a less serious note - damn! I thought the 100K bids for chits were crazy before. Now they've managed to take greater than 200K out on each chit.

Brocas

Post by Brocas » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:58 pm

I was on the fence on whether or not to buy a ticket. I saw the values being bid during the auction and knew people were loaded. I just maxed my first bank account this week so I'm not loaded but certainly have enough for repairs and h/h. This got me thinking... Why am I hording gold? There's really not a whole lot to spend it on. Hardly anyone sells items, it's all trade now.

So I bought 1 iron chit ticket. If there was no 2nd drawing I probably wouldn't have participated knowing others bought 10 or more. However the 2nd drawing gives the scrubs and non-gold duppers like me a chance.

I like this lottery and I'm not holding my breath but there's a chance, much better chance than those Powerball odds. Like Raz said, maybe this brings back the gold economy.

pial

Post by pial » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:03 pm

I didn't participate in this one due to all the cheatos and me being a poor bastard! I can't compete with the people out there who might have bought 100 tickets or close to it!

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:18 pm

If more of these lotteries get done, I bet the amount of gold spend will go down: I cant imagine that alot of people can keep up buying 100k's worth of tickets again and again and again..

If you saw the bidding in the auction before, I am actually surprised at how -little- gold was spent in this lottery. There were several people bidding in the high 100 and 200K ranges.. and yet there were -only- 250ish tickets for one chit sold: which comes to a single 200K bid and some odd ends.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Paj wrote: The rest have wasted their gold to no effect whatsoever.
I think the effect I am most interested in from this is the amount of gold taken out of the economy. If the dupping issue is now being monitored so the cheaters can be found and punished I think gold sinks like this can be the best way to balance gold to eq values.
This... and an eq wipe of backpacks in rent... and a coding fix so containers can't be stored :P

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Just some quick math so far...

A copper chit - 312,500 gold crowns spent
An iron chit - 286,800 gold crowns spent
A heronmarked longsword - 63,250 gold crowns spent
A triple bladed dagger - 53,900 gold crowns spent
A shocklance - 26,000 gold crowns spent
A gown of exquisite design - 24,300 gold crowns spent
A pair of jeweled wristcuffs - 23,250 gold crowns spent
A massive war maul - 34,000 gold crowns spent

Total gold crowns spent: 824,000

langois

Post by langois » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:49 pm

pial wrote:I didn't participate in this one due to all the cheatos and me being a poor bastard! I can't compete with the people out there who might have bought 100 tickets or close to it!
Exactly this. I had been gathering gold the old fashioned way and had a full bank stored and a full bank on lang. Once I heard about the cheating, saw the cost of tickets, and the numbers bought I didn't bother.

Good luck to anyone with legit gold who bought a ticket.