Road trip San Fransisco - San Diego

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.

Road trip San Fransisco - San Diego

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi,

Me and a friend are road tripping this summer From San Fransisco to San Diego and are looking into renting a convertible.
However, when googling from Europe the prices are sky high and we dont really need a fancy car.
Do any of you have any good suggestions for a company to look into?

Thanks!

Relaes

Re: Road trip San Fransisco - San Diego

Post by Relaes » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:54 pm

I rented through Avis when I did that, but Dollar or any other car rental service probably has online quotas. Might wanna check third party web sites. Sometimes there have better prices. We got a Prius, dirt cheap, and had a good time spending money on food and other things down the coast.

Also, AC is worth a lot more than a convertible imo. But we all have our preferences.

Kobi

Post by Kobi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:28 pm

I just rented in Los Angeles through RentalCars.com. It compares all the rental places at once. I got a car at LAX for 2 days for $55 total on the weekend.

Shimu

Post by Shimu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:25 am

Hope your friend is a lady, because 2 dudes in a vert..

Paj

Post by Paj » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:59 am

Fits right in California

Lykan

Post by Lykan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:43 pm

I used rentalcars.com for an upcoming trip from LA to Portland and it was completely reasonable. I didn't look at convertibles, though :p

ecthus

Post by ecthus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:23 am

Are we all responding to a spam bot??

My only comment is that you should take the coastal highway down from San Francisco rather than I-5. I-5 is miserable, especially if it's as dry this year as it was last summer when I went from Seattle to LA. Just don't take an old hotel van that has no AC, windows that don't open, headlights as good as a cellphone flashlight, a leaky radiator, and terrible gas mileage :evil:

langois

Post by langois » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:22 pm

PCH from San Fran - Carmel is spectacular.

Spend the $10.00 and do the 17 mile drive, you won't regret it.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:38 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've given up on the convertible dream and we'll stick with a cheap car with AC instead.

A woman from rentalcars.com actually called me and asked me why I hadn't completed my car order and then gave me an additional discount.
Good to know if you ever need to rent a car there, stop at the step you fill in your phone number and then wait a day.

We'll be in the US from the 18th of July to the 3d of August doing two routes, San Fransisco to San Diego and then New Orleans to Houston.
Yay :)