People to help promote the MUD.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Astolfo

Re: People to help promote the MUD.

Post by Astolfo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:36 am

With Eliaved providing literacy promotion and Daal better social etiquette!

Enok

Post by Enok » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:27 pm

And Razhak + Tzao tag teaming for the time consuming, pedagogical explanation of fundamentals. Because people listen and read better when it's all in caps.

"DON'T WEAR THE chortlesnorfling CROWN YOU LOSER!"

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Astolfo wrote:With Eliaved providing literacy promotion and Daal better social etiquette!
Daal was at least hugely entertaining to have around.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:55 pm

There is apparently a MUD facebook group, so..we could look into that. :{

https://www.facebook.com/groups/multiuserdungeon/

Kilgore

Post by Kilgore » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Could look for bookclubs that are reading Ready Player One or any sort of nerd havens where people have that on their radar. Though MUDs like Zork are mentioned, the politics of gaming might be a way to invite players to try a smaller world, similar, with the potential of growth.

Neveyan

Post by Neveyan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:13 pm

I like the "target roleplay communities" approach. Think its a very good tactic.

Now I never really read much of the roleplay posts in the past on the old forums.

However, there was one guy, think he was a thiefbane, who did amazing roleplay posts back in the day. His posts were unique because they were roleplay stories written up like in-game logs (the role play was like reading a pk log, he moved around and interacted with the environment as if he was playing - think one of the stories was him going to rolands). I think if we produced roleplay posts in this format, on roleplay forums, this could work well as it would be unique style of presenting roleplay which would introduce the reader to a mud interactive game world.

If anyone could pull up one of his roleplay logs/posts, that would be great. Otherwise, if people don't know, I can explain more.

Also, what attracted me all those years back was the concept that I could travel in Rand and Co's footsteps. It took me a while, but the whole concept of being in caemlyn, and then travelling from to the two rivers was surreal (and took me a while and a few deaths).

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:16 am

Yeah that's Rico's Thiefbane trilogy.

Also Halfhald had some amazing stuff he wrote with Black Flood (the fall of Manetheren) and this awesome story about Amadician special forces.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:51 am

Well, I am now the mod of reddit.com/r/wotmudv, so whatever we wanna do with that I am open to ideas. :P

Paj

Post by Paj » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 pm

I saw a man reading the third book on a flight from Dulles to Nashville. I accosted him, telling him about our great community and storyline enthusiasts.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:37 pm

I havent played in yonks, hope my input isnt minded

I have played this mud, another mud that has numbers similar to this one nowadays, and a mud that still gets 100-120 players online regularly (and its not iron realms) but used to have 300 online

I think the first thing is to accept there is a much diminished group of people to draw from, people willing to play text games is low nowadays

Of the 3 muds ive played none seemed to aggressively advertise, however the most successful one has done a lot to try and retain the new players it does get- the areas for new players were totally overhauled, and their game client bridged a gap between traditional telnet and graphical mmo

I am not sure how much has changed since i played! but i think the need to stat would definitely put people off. I dont know how frequently newbies get pked nowadays either (i know its not a hand holding mud). But in todays climate if lowbies are frequently having to re-equip it might be a problem too.

May