What's the fun in that?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Eol

Re: What's the fun in that?

Post by Eol » Sun May 15, 2016 4:31 pm

You should take them up on the coaching offer.

It takes a long time to get "good" at PK - namely, skilled at hunting down and killing other players, but most people pick up the running away game relatively quickly. There are entire clans dedicated to this on darkside :twisted: . Its far easier to run around randomly in wide open zones then it is to catch someone in them. You should also adopt the Wotmud aura of paranoia. Always ask yourself - what would happen if an opposing player showed up right as I'm doing whatever I'm doing. Everytime you run your horse haggard - what if Lykan walked in right now. In a door? Lykan. Scouting something. Lykan. Naked in the shower? Lykan again :? .

Relaes

Post by Relaes » Sun May 15, 2016 6:59 pm

Relaes wrote:Just return the favor. Don't ever expect to be left alone or for someone to play fair (This is especially important. Just assume that everyone is an asshole until proven otherwise). Everyone will betray your trust and everyone will gladly kill you if they need your scalp or gear. Grow that Wotmud hatred that we all know and love and pay them back when you get the chance. Get faster, better and kill them back any way you can. Get a group, hang with friends, set traps. Show no mercy. :twisted:
Paj wrote:Do we have to make assholes of future pkers?
I don't know what game you are playing here, but you are just as guilty as I am to all of the above.Ever called anyone in to a 1vs1 that went south? Ever set a trap? Ever ganked someone or joined in on a winning side AFTER the battle is won and the opposition is scrambling to survive? Ever held a grudge?

What do you tell new players? That everything is going to be alright if you play "fair"? That no one will play unfairly and if they do you can appeal to a jury of peers aka "the forums"?

Wotmud is a game best played paranoid.
Yeri wrote:As far as I can tell, it was fair, he wasn't AFK/LD or anything. Just a question of whether the SS would leave him alone cause he was new/didn't want to PK or not.
Yeah, and my point is that he didn't think it was fair. Who is to say what goes here? There are so many unwritten rules in this game so many shady things going on that I'm encouraging him to play it by face value and expect nothing but people coming for him. That's the way it works, no?

Paj

Post by Paj » Sun May 15, 2016 10:40 pm

I wrote like three paragraphs explaining what a Mud used to be and why it was fun for people to play.

But it'll just bring out the asshats, who think this game is a single-player game to kill anything and take everything, to mangle my words.

I stand by my words. A MUD based around a storyline can't continue with new and good people with that kind of attitude. PK should not be something that drives people away.

Relaes

Post by Relaes » Mon May 16, 2016 12:22 am

I thought this was a discussion about pvp as per the OP. He asked about fairness; I said there is none to be had most of the time the way he talks about it. And I put a twist on it because pvp here is pretty hard, dirty and often far from fair considering the skill cap.

Mangle your words is so very vague. I'm assuming you're talking about me as an asshat, which would make you...one of the good people you mention? Because I have no redeeming qualities and can't possibly function outside of my kill everything and loot it all gung-ho attitude? I mean since that is all I do and ever did.

Ok buddy.

I'd actually like to read your paragraphs to try and comprehend what it is that you mean. I've been here since 2002-2003 and I'm pretty sure we didn't lose players solely due to pvp and people like myself. I don't even think that is the primary reason we lost a majority of players.

Paj

Post by Paj » Mon May 16, 2016 1:01 am

Paj wrote:I wrote like three paragraphs explaining what a Mud used to be and why it was fun for people to play.

But it'll just bring out the asshats, who think this game is a single-player game to kill anything and take everything, to mangle my words.

I stand by my words. A MUD based around a storyline can't continue with new and good people with that kind of attitude. PK should not be something that drives people away.
Sorry, correction. I wrote three lengthy paragraphs and did not post because it'd become another argument for people. I was not shooting to insult anyone specifically.

chavaon

Post by chavaon » Mon May 16, 2016 6:36 am

Eol wrote: Naked in the shower? Lykan again :? .
Ok, now I'm scared to shower, thanks a lot :cry:

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon May 16, 2016 11:03 am

The game is about many things (RP, PK, exploring, smobbing) depending on the player involved.

For some players its -only- one of the above, for most players its a mix of the above with one or two being most important. It might also differ from time to time for people (sometimes you are in a PK mood, sometimes not).

However the game has always in regards to PK been unrestricted and the only place in the mud where PK is discouraged is in the Eye of the World as far as I know. Outside there, its a dog-eat-dog world. PK nowadays is not meaner or nastier then it was when I started in 2001. Back then you got killed by *Smasher* et al outside the gates of Caemlyn, or you got sniped by same side killers because you had an emerald ring..

What has always irked me is that people are trying to restrict PK and highjack these threads. The original poster I know as someone who is PKing actively in northern PK, and I am surprised a bit he is as surprised as he seems to be that he got killed. Perhaps he didn't expect it away from the north zones or he was under the impression that SS shouldn't/wouldn't kill him on sight? He asks whether it is fair play.

Well.. as long as you do not abuse loopholes or bugs, it is always fair play if you kill someone. AFK and LD are off limits to most of us (if you notice it in time, sometimes people go boom very fast... although I was fast enough to treat an incapped LD person the other day :P ), but even against killing AFK and LD people there are no set rules laid down in the mud-rules (officially 5 rules, but we all know there is more, which are quite nicely noted down in the thread on imm announcements by Elysia: http://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=300 ).

Why does it irk me when people are highjacking these threads? Because they are trying to impose their rules on a thing which shouldnt be regulated to much: PK. In a while you shouldnt pk someone who has -non-pking- in their title, or we shouldnt pk people who wear tinker hats, or we shouldnt pk trollocs who are having a pacifist manifestation in the Blight...

PK is dangerous and it happens everywhere where people decide they want it to happen. That might be in Andor, EF, the white tower, the blight, under Selaana's bed.. you name it. Calling people unfair or even unsportsmanlike (or worse assholes) does not help and is not constructive. If you want anything to change, one should lead by example instead of just calling other people bad names.

chavaon

Post by chavaon » Mon May 16, 2016 2:05 pm

Razhak wrote: Calling people unfair or even unsportsmanlike (or worse assholes) does not help and is not constructive. If you want anything to change, one should lead by example instead of just calling other people bad names.
He's right, he killed my first char practically every day from 15 to 25, which is when I gave up on my Str:18 Int:12 Wil:13 Dex:16 Con:14. warrior (until he got rerolls!) and I called him an asshole every time, didn't help :lol: It WAS satisfying though :twisted:

ecthus

Post by ecthus » Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 pm

I have a very simple strategy for PK, which is asking what will get me the most kills. In most cases, it doesn't involve slaughtering someone 5v1, or baiting to a door, or flee-stabbing, or horse-bashing, or being on my most bonused characters. Easy, guaranteed kills often just make it harder to kill people in the future, since, A. No one will want to fight you once you have a bad reputation B. You're not allowing time for more people to show up to die.