Lightside Needs Help

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Mangler

Re: Lightside Needs Help

Post by Mangler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:08 am

What's probably far more sensible if you really want to go down an advertising route is targetted Facebook advertising.

If you pay per impression to show a WoTmud advert to people from say USA, age 18-35 with Wheel of Time as one of their favourite books, you get targetted advertising with a demographic it's likely to have the most impact.

Downside - someone needs to make an advert. Our social media would have to be set up slightly differently. People would need to pay.

And biggest downside of all - our website is no longer fit for purpose, so we'e redirecting them to a page that in my view, simply would not convert largely to players.

Elodin

Post by Elodin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 am

Flash has explicitly forbidden us from advertising outside of stuff like the TMS banner. He also doesn't want anyone messing with the site currently. We do what we can within the parameters we are provided, but thanks for the suggestions.

Firimei Lang

Post by Firimei Lang » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:46 am

Yeah I don't see adverts for other MUDS outside the TMS and so on..Just word of mouth and so on. Maybe some people make links on other forums. or suggest it.

Neveyan

Post by Neveyan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Is it illegal to do paid advertising personally?

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:26 pm

Don't think so. As long as you aren't profiting from it it should be savvy.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Elodin wrote:Flash has explicitly forbidden us from advertising outside of stuff like the TMS banner. He also doesn't want anyone messing with the site currently. We do what we can within the parameters we are provided, but thanks for the suggestions.

That is so stupid. Half the dung on the website is outdated or doesn't even work anymore. Big Cheese needs to fix it, or get someone on staff to fix it. :P

Arkan

Post by Arkan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Yeah, I'm surprised anyone joins with our broken website. Perhaps Flash could be convinced? I mean, I'm grateful for someone who's supported wotmud for... over half his life? But surely we can do something as a community to help our community. Also, I would like to bring the awesomeness that is mudding to non-mudders. I don't think it would take much to give it a boost. Heck, if we do it, we could also drop the info onto one of the big muds and maybe they'd also do targeted ads, which would be good for mudding in general. I realize there are probably details I don't know about why the restrictions.

Arkan

Post by Arkan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:38 pm

How about this on Reddit and Imgur:

Title: Looking for a More Intense Gaming Experience?

*Picture of Wheel of Time map*
How about something epic, based on a favorite fantasy series?

*Gif of Langois going splat*
Wait, what is that text?

*Gif of smob group taking out Gorthel*
No pictures?

*short gif of person walking around Tar Valon or someting*
Yup, no pictures. It's like gaming, but with the intensely vivid world inside your head.

*explanation of mudding and how to access our mud/forums (referred to as "my favorite") and also mud connector*

And we all know to upvote at the specific time it's posted. I don't know, I'm no advertiser, but maybe it's something and if it's front page, many thousands of people will see it.

Paj

Post by Paj » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:25 pm

I can hear MIDI or techno music going on in the background.

Where'd the PK music thread go?

ecthus

Post by ecthus » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks for implementing the new smob. Good way to get more PK to cut and FD road, also.