Name that dagger!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Hiroko

Re: Name that dagger!

Post by Hiroko » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:16 am

Stag handle switchblades

Mhaliah

Post by Mhaliah » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:56 am

So my suggestion of "sha'je dueling blades" is a reference to the gladiatorial combat popular during the Collapse and referenced by Semirhage in the books.

I like this idea because they are "poison" blades and this could be a way to balance that they can't stab like the moonstone dirks. Just an interesting twist. But even if they are not poison in game I think the name is a cool, if somewhat obscure, reference.

Morayia

Post by Morayia » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 am

I did some googling, and it seems like the definition of a dagger is a double-edged, short symetrical blade ending in a point. So it shouldn't have dagger in the name since they are basically assassins weapons. They are made for stabbing. I didnt know that.

Sai ive trained with though!
Sai could probably be described as really short rapiers with fenceguards perfectly made for fencing. Since the guards either hook forward, or alternate or backwards they can be used in clever combinations to disarm and strike, or lock down a weapon and strike. It's a lock down and finish type of weapon. You cannot parry something head on because the blades are to thin. Its not a weapon made for prolonged fights, its staying out of reach, dodging, maybe slight averting, depending on the opponents weapon. Then when you land your combo your opponent ends up with a sai up to the hilt in some soft spot. They can also be used to backstab, perfect for punching through soft spots or gaps in the armor. I think this is a cool idea and fits in with the rogue character play. But i dont like the part that its not really a fencing weapon, its more of a ninja weapon made for close quarter fighting and fast finishes. And its not really that wotlike?

What i think we should do is imagine more of a pair of really short, short swords/long knives. The sturdier kind. Blade, short sword, knife all work for me. I also think they should be curved to make them worse for stabbing.
I also like simple names like some of you do.

Something like.
A pair of curved dueling blades.
A pair of long fighting knives.
A pair of single-edged short swords. (Makes them lighter, and sturdier.. I think!!! :D)
A matching set of black and white fighting knives.
Twin blades of dark steel with reversable grip.

Would be cool if we dont have A pair of, A set of, its to mainstream!

Im thinking to much, ill stop... Bad Morayia.. BAD!

Maranta

Post by Maranta » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:10 am

Those are great suggestions imo, Morayia!

I especially like "a pair of long fighting knives."

And, if it's possible to start the name with "twin" instead of "a/an", I love that idea too.

Twin fighting knives of best Andoran steel

(I looked it up...when I wrote my earlier post about this I couldn't remember if Andor or Tear had the better steel. Should have known Andor because of the western mines, but anyway.)

LoC p. 152, "...knives and daggers of the finest Andoran steel--the seller's word on it--every sort of thing that a soldier might need..."

langois

Post by langois » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:25 am

Knifey McKnife face

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:59 am

a pair of three-pronged daggers

I vote we change above name to "a pair of forks"

Dartes

Post by Dartes » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:41 am

langois wrote:Knifey McKnife face
Lol langois, i knew it was just a matter of time before this suggestion popped up.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:37 pm

There appear to be generally two types of ideas:

silver sai
simple

So what about:
"paired steel sai"
"a set of steel sai"
"matching steel sai"
or any of the above but replace steel with silver?

Lemme know! I realize sai wouldn't slash, but I also know everyone loved their sai.

Yeri

Post by Yeri » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:12 pm

Elysia wrote:There appear to be generally two types of ideas:

silver sai
simple

So what about:
"paired steel sai"
"a set of steel sai"
"matching steel sai"
or any of the above but replace steel with silver?

Lemme know! I realize sai wouldn't slash, but I also know everyone loved their sai.
Voting for the second sai (set of steel sai), I can't deal with equipment that doesn't start with a/an.

Relaes

Post by Relaes » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:03 am

Just "a pair of sai".