Politics, YAY! The Trump.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
pial

Re: Politics, YAY! The Trump.

Post by pial » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:22 am

While I do think Trump is a joke of a candidate and that he's largely been playing on racial tensions as well as the fear of anything that isn't white america, I laugh at how many people on the side that's supposed to be the side of reason that can't see, or downplay, how poor of a candidate Hillary is in terms of trying to fix any of the serious problems that we face. Trump seems to me like a little kid who is trying to act out what they think is a powerful individual: that being he's all bluster and doesn't have a good grasp on the world and what it takes to interact with it, especially from the position of being a leader of a world power.

I'll admit I'm incredibly pessimistic about this election cycle and I don't see how anything gets better in the foreseeable future either. The country is largely split into camps that think government is the problem and government can be used as a tool to solve problems. The echo chambers in the various mediums that one can surround themselves with like minded people as well as the increasingly unconnected lives we live with those in our local communities makes me fear that cooperation and working together to solve problems is not going to improve in the short term.

The way I see it is best case scenario we get the status quo for 4-8 years, worst case scenario is Trump does one of the several dumb things that he's capable of doing and things could get rocky for a while.

Enok

Post by Enok » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:32 am

The best case scenario is a highly educated person with many years of political experience, and the same kind of ties that most of your politicians have with businesses. Smart, cunning and probably a bit self-serving. Par for the course. Aside from the fact that she is a woman.

The worst case scenario is a carrot colored, naive biggot, elected by toothless rednecks who firmly believe he is "the solution to Washington", who dances around to whatever Putin says on the international stage. Can you see how this is dangerous? It's not a joke. He really is stupid and dangerous. I mean really. It's the American version of Kim Jong Un.

You do realize that the whole world is laughing at you, right? Whatever feeling people have when thinking about the Clintons, the Donald is, and always will be, a complete joke. He will not be the fresh start that everyone who votes for him is looking for. Instead he will be like the BREXIT people in the UK. He will turn his back on his voters just as soon as he realizes he's in too deep and then he'll let his cabinet of "the best people" make his decisions for him. Kinda like Cheney-Bush.

- You will likely go to war for all the wrong reasons, AGAIN.

- Racial tensions will definitely continue and may very well come to include hispanics.

- You will be even more embarrassed than you were during, and after, the Bush era after which pretty much everyone lost confidence in the US. This, I think, is something that you're not even considering. Obama, with all his flaws, fought against the worst congress in history and still managed to improve the world's picture of the US. Did you know that people around the world actually like your current president?

- The political instability will no doubt cause the economy to turn for the worse.

I just had a flashback to mid 2000's and the discussions I had with Gwindor on elections and Israel. Do you guys even remember how you hated on John Kerry for flip-flopping back in 2004? I mean holy dung, Trump is 100x worse and he doesn't even have the common sense to be ashamed of it.

I hate to bash a country that I love, but you guys make it too easy for me this time around... I'll come over and take a look come spring and see what's going on. If you voted in Trump I'm going to track down Viv's brewery and drink myself to death on her prize winning alcohol. firetruck..

Kilgore

Post by Kilgore » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:58 am

Venum: point taken on Wolf. I don't know if I would move him out of the category though, I feel that his show brings on a lot of pundits to keep him objective, but he chooses his guests.

I think you would be well served to distinguish between a country and a two-party political system. America can not be ruined a politician no matter how corrupt or despotic they seem. But, it still does seem like an intelligence test for the country. At least for how objective they country is of itself (Are the American flag-burger-bikini-truck commercials ironic or is that scripture?).

Bernie Sanders is not running as an independent and he's campaigning for Hillary currently because he isn't a demagogue obsessed with himself as a hingepoint to a revolution (as much as the Berners might want him, or have wanted him to be). This is simply a strange cycle in a continuation of strange cycles.

The emphasis put on identity over policy has the unintended consequence of equalizing both candidates as equally X or Y. Bad, good, connected, corrupt. I do not think that is fair.

Donald Trump is a blunt man, and some of the population think he speaks for them, but in listening to him over an hour--it is easy to tell that Donald Trump doesn't believe that words mean anything.

Watching Hillary speak I get the opposite sensation, she is afraid of words because they mean something. It will be interesting to see these two facets of their identities come to a head in the debates. I'm very excited for those opportunities :). I wonder how far away from actual engagement they will get. I assume the camps will have made concessions on off-topics. If journalists show up it will be a good day.

pial

Post by pial » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Comparing Trump to Kim Jon Un kind of highlights some of the annoyance I have during this election cycle. Trump is obviously a moron when it comes to the type of intelligence level that one would want a world leader to have, he's probably average or above average when compared to the general public but that's not saying much! He is capable of saying and doing stupid things but to pretend he's on the same level as someone like a cruel dictator is just silly.

It reminds me of when we had our global banking crisis in 2008 and the way that people were speaking about how stupid Iceland was for refusing to bail out their banks and to prosecute their bankers who were involved in the crisis. At the time I remember it was the predominant view that they were being stupid and going against the world economy and would pay dearly for it, just like Brexit (I wouldn't have voted for it but I don't think it will be as devastating as some people say ten years from now) talk now. Well, here we are eight years later and Iceland recovered as well if not better than many of the countries that did bailouts. The point I'm wanting to make with this is that when it comes to politics and how countries should be run I hear so much certainty from people when it comes to trying to keep things status quo. I still think Trump is the worse option between the two, but to pretend that Hillary is going to help people of this country be elevated from where they are currently I think is foolish. She's one of the most establishment candidates in recent memory who has tons of favors to pay back to the various corporate and political elites once she gets in office. I don't think she'll address global climate change strongly enough, or address the legal bribery that our system now accepts. I can't really think of two issues that are bigger than those two and she comes up short in my estimation. Trump will be worse on global climate change, and if he was better on the corruptive influence of campaign financing it might be on accident.

Hillary is a bad candidate and her only saving grace is that Trump is worse.

Enok

Post by Enok » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:03 pm

The reason why Iceland didnt bail out their banks wasn't their solid belief in the self-regulating powers of the market. Due to lax laws on investment banking leverage, the total debt of Iceland's banks was 10 times that of their GDP. They would have bailed them out if they could afford it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35485876

The problem with Brexit wasn't so much that it happened nor why people voted for reforms they wanted. It's that the promises made were more or less taken off the table the day after the vote. That and most of the loud populists jumped ship right after. So now you have a bunch of people left with a decision they did not really vote for(they voted for billions of pounds back into NHS from the alleged surplus of leaving the union; they got nothing). The deal they wanted wasn't realistic, just like trump wont make America "great again". Not without lowering minimum wage (global economy isn't something that goes away because you want it to) and cutting social security.

If you really want reform on climate change and citizens-united-esque legislation, congress is your biggest problem. You stacked that place with climate deniers and creationists who cockblocked what may very well have been the best chance for eight consecutive years of progressive reform. Talk about owing private interests...

pial

Post by pial » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:26 pm

It was the lack of bowing down to the interests of the bankers that played a large part in their recovery and their decision making. http://www.worldfinance.com/infrastruct ... s-recovery