double exp during week days

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
briana

double exp during week days

Post by briana » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:36 am

just turn it on, there's 6 people throughout most of the day and might as well give us something to do besides log off!

most people are statters too so im sure they'll benefit from that as well. everyone wins and there's no downside. no downside.

Chiron

Re: double exp during week days

Post by Chiron » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:11 am

This seriously just needs to be the norm.

XPing is Time taken away from people's lives, and it isn't even interesting or challenging to XP on this game. It is grueling. I'm not saying you should be able to get level 51 in 6 hours, but an hour a day should get you 6 levels so over a week you get some significant work done.

Result in more throw away fcs and mcs. Games always had them.

But this should be looked at ethically and morally. People want to play, do you want to take a hours away from their lives (that they should be spending with friends and family) for XP?

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed huge downsides to multipliers?

No pk, no smobbing, the days after a multiplier it's frequently more quiet because people already spent x hours on the game recently...

Besides the fact that putting on any multiplier every day isn't going to be physically possible because it has to be set manually by an imm. I couldn't do it because of the timezone I'm in and no, we're not going to leave our computers running all night... imms are investing quite enough already.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Do what I do. Hit the preds, maulers, horneds whatever for their large exp and get the rest from smobbing and whatever during 1X. Spend effort during 2/3X on anything more. :P

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Elysia wrote:Is it just me or has anyone else noticed huge downsides to multipliers?

No pk, no smobbing, the days after a multiplier it's frequently more quiet because people already spent x hours on the game recently...

Besides the fact that putting on any multiplier every day isn't going to be physically possible because it has to be set manually by an imm. I couldn't do it because of the timezone I'm in and no, we're not going to leave our computers running all night... imms are investing quite enough already.
Yeah, ignoring for a moment the time/effort to really make this a thing, multipliers (especially big ones) really interrupt the usual flow because everyone's taking advantage of it. Tends to be really quiet for PK until near boot and people doing their thing exping rather than chatting/PKing/smobbing/whatever. I'd much rather it be an occasional (but fairly common) thing like it is now.

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:28 am

I agree completely. Sadly the direction from the top seems to be more 'earned' double exp standards from chits or numbers playing. I really think overall a standard double exp during the week would be way better for the mud.

a)It would mean when double/triple is on the mud wouldn't just die into zombie exp mode. There might be numbers, but there is no engagement.
b)Exp is awful. Does anyone enjoy it other than incredibly devoted RPers? Even they must surely groan at it.
c)People might take more risks in PK if they knew getting exp back was easier? (This one is a stretch)
d)See B.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:00 am

I tend to prefer 5x and 10x for a short amount of time. People get a few million in a short time and normal gameplay interruption is minimal.

Obvious downsides are obviously that there's a bigger chance you'll miss it, but that could potentially be addressed by announcing them beforehand. That would require people actually reading Announcements and FB though, which some people obviously don't do frequently enough - I still get questions about the reset I did over a week ago.

I'll give it a test run soon.

Dragoryyn

Post by Dragoryyn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:07 am

I agree with some sentiment about having some sort of normal standard of multipliers. The reasoning for not (it creates a lull in smobbing/pk/other avenues on the game or its too much work on an imm) seems weak. If you want to create smobbing and pk wouldn't getting xp out of the way create time for all that? Many people are obsessed with getting to level 51 before they even start pking (rogues/channelers for instance), but it takes them forever going through the doldrums of xping to do so. By then, they may have burnt themselves out and need a break.

The more multipler consistency the more that "lull" will fade. We just see it's negative aspects in the short run because multipliers are put on for just that: short term.

Also, more work on imms? I don't see how a 30 second administration of it when you log on (Viv does it all the time right when she wakes up) is a lot of work. If it truly is that demanding, hire more imm's. *Cough* :)

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:59 am

Dragoryyn wrote:Also, more work on imms? I don't see how a 30 second administration of it when you log on (Viv does it all the time right when she wakes up) is a lot of work. If it truly is that demanding, hire more imm's. *Cough* :)
Only 104s can set these multipliers. Hiring more imms wouldn't do a thing, short term. 103s have mostly left, so even lowering the command restriction (which would require coding) wouldn't help. Besides the fact that I already have 3 trainees learning things and I can't handle more.

I really think players are increasingly crossing the line with what they demand of imms. I felt that way in the past when people said we should just let our computers run 24/7 to set multipliers, do prac resets on demand or whatever and now this. I do not find it acceptable that you feel I should be getting up at silly o'clock just for this game. I do not find it acceptable for imms who live in time zones that are compatible with boot time, because guess what, their lives shouldn't revolve around being required to be in the game at a certain time multiple times a week.

Really. This, give them a finger and players wanting to take the whole hand attitude is something I encounter more and more frequently. For example when I tell people that I can't be on right after boot to accept a chit. That utterly and completely crosses the line. Not cool, people.

Dragoryyn

Post by Dragoryyn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:34 am

I understand the frustration (been an imm in another game), but as an immortal that is what you signed up for. Nobody is attacking you personally and it's a shame that people are trying to get you to do more and more thinking they have the Light-given right to it. However, it is a game that is on the decline and imm's do need to step it up as well as the players in order to keep and gain more people if this dying environment is going to last in any capacity. My comment on hiring more imm's was meant as hiring more low level so your current low level can be leveled up. This would ease the load on higher imm's. I thought that was implicit when I wrote that.

I'm sorry that people have been bothering you so much as immortal and it has taken its toll, but we ARE just talking about 2x exp on the weekdays. This can easily be coded by upper immortals (I could code it in 5 minutes) so maybe it should be discussed amongst immortals as a way to appease the dying weekday population.

Shrug. This was just a suggestion and I commented on it. I'm not trying to bring down the world :)