PVE to create more PK

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Taziar

PVE to create more PK

Post by Taziar » Mon May 06, 2024 5:15 pm

What happened to IoMM?
What happened to Jafar smob?
Why isn't there more book related end game PVE content?

More reasons to get in game and group on LS for interesting PVE content means more opportunity for PK to find them and take the rewards away from them (plus scalps). For all the PVE hate it is what makes everything else work.

Rig

Re: PVE to create more PK

Post by Rig » Mon May 06, 2024 6:28 pm

Because PvE players on this game (and many others) have a tendency to not use the power of moderation on themselves. Both of those things were farmed incessantly, ignoring all of the other PvE content across the game and creating animosity between PvP mains and PvE mains through accusations like cross-race spying and darkfriends or whatever else (the usual crying that comes when DS shows up and fucks up smobbing).

The moderation reason is probably the biggest though, which is what lead to the removal of rares and nice loads from cityheads.

Naomi

Post by Naomi » Mon May 06, 2024 6:56 pm

Bring back berelains egown!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon May 06, 2024 7:34 pm

TAR replaced IoMM and Jafar, because people being secluded away on an island does very little for bringing about other interactions.

Not sure what you're thinking of wrt book related end game content, but in case you're thinking along the lines of Great Captain, we wants it, but it needs a bunch of coding and atm we can't has it, which has been the status for several years now.

Pen

Post by Pen » Mon May 06, 2024 8:25 pm

I personally find this subject / OP's original post content a little confusing. Allow me to explain.

I see PvE related content in three categories.

#1: Pure PvE: your typical smobs (prev. iomm, Jafar, smobs) where you hit mainly for eq and with a corresponding degree of risk vs reward as any other PvE activity eg exping.

#2: PK objectives that require PVE (hybrid #1)
I would classify such things like cityheads, baerlon, kfort, jeh, fade kill targets etc. highest risk vs reward (qps, stronghold position )

#3: PVE objectives that might result in pk (hybrid #2): foul winds, murgoz, northern mini smob chains, dailies which require some degree of venturing into enemy territory. High risk vs reward

Firstly on #1, I'm of the view that pure PvE has never been better now (in terms of drops and access) vs any point in this game - kudos to Korsik and Fen on this. Could there be improvements? Sure (maybe less fofy pls). But as a whole, people aren't engaging with the content - not that the content isn't there. (There are different reasons as to why but this is not the topic for it)

For #2 and #3, rather than look at new content, perhaps the question is why isn't existing content like kfort or jeh working to drive conflict (as Taziar mentioned) and improve from there.

I also think it may be difficult to balance with a relatively small player base where numbers swing essentially only one way - case in point when a group of LS were trying to take down Haran a few days in a row.

P.S. to Rig - I do not believe you can rely on self moderation (here or in life). If Morgrase loaded a heron every repop at the same difficulty, you can bet that Draz (sorry brother!) and any other smobbers will be on DS all day farming her :D DS activity problem solved?!?!
Last edited by Pen on Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon May 06, 2024 9:16 pm

Pen wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:25 pm
perhaps the question is why isn't existing content like kfort or jeh working to drive conflict (as Taziar mentioned) and improve from there.

I also think it may be difficult to balance with a relatively small player base where numbers swing essentially only one way - case in point when a group of LS were trying to take down Haran a few days in a row.
You pretty much nailed it. Things end up having a skewed risk vs reward if everyone's on one side...

Chloro

Post by Chloro » Mon May 06, 2024 9:49 pm

(ooc post)
I wonder if a siege on Tar Valon, Imm created might draw more back and promote pvp. The only issue would be clan chests and mobs, but whenever the tower is heavily affected it seems to bring people running on LS and DS. Or I am a very fond of Playing out the Tower's schism on the mud. It would be interesting to see which side each player choses, and the chaos that ensued. But both would be a lot of work on the Imm's and that does not sound fun. The Mayene thing, while I have reservations on how it started, has been a thrill this go around. If we did go for a schism, instead of using Salidar and building a new zone, maybe use Irinjavar?

Point if this post, is, as clesha as it is, Tower centered events seem to produce more results.. Sorry Elysia i know that means more work for you!

Rig

Post by Rig » Mon May 06, 2024 10:48 pm

Pen wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:25 pm
If Morgrase loaded a heron every repop at the same difficulty, you can bet that Draz (sorry brother!) and any other smobbers will be on DS all day farming her :D
Right. The same reason those things aren’t in game anymore. 🤡

Mer

Post by Mer » Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 pm

Nothing like a 6-person daily Smob group rolling up on some decent 1v1 or 2v2 PK to just ruin things. Those "get a huge group to farm things ad nauseum" just turns PK into player smobbing, too, which is just awful for any reasonable human being.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Tue May 07, 2024 12:05 am

Elysia wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:34 pm
TAR replaced IoMM and Jafar, because people being secluded away on an island does very little for bringing about other interactions.

Not sure what you're thinking of wrt book related end game content, but in case you're thinking along the lines of Great Captain, we wants it, but it needs a bunch of coding and atm we can't has it, which has been the status for several years now.
If you want people to get excited to log on you have to go big. And yeah, everyone logs on the same side usually at first to get in the groups that figure stuff out. And yeah, that stuff is going to get hit a lot. And then eventually some people get bored with it and then try and kill the people that are doing the new (holiday, or whatever) content.

This iteration of TARS isn't pulling as many people as the last one did... I don't know why. Maybe it is the FOFY aspect, maybe there are less smobs that send you so repop times are the main factor it doesn't keep going. I am not sure on that, but I am sure less people are talking about it and trying to do it.

Remember when the Prime series first hit, lots of traffic came back for a bit. Why? Because of WoT theme.

What are some of the most iconic book locations where cool stuff happened and people want to explore and spend time on a game?
  • * Tower of Ghenjei
    * Aiel Waste
    * Black Tower
    * Ebou Dar // Rahad
Just to list a couple... make some real book stuff available and rewarding and more people will play.