PVE to create more PK

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Taziar

Re: PVE to create more PK

Post by Taziar » Tue May 07, 2024 12:07 am

Mer wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 pm
Nothing like a 6-person daily Smob group rolling up on some decent 1v1 or 2v2 PK to just ruin things. Those "get a huge group to farm things ad nauseum" just turns PK into player smobbing, too, which is just awful for any reasonable human being.
Fireworks? Hurricane? (make it a wilder weave so more availble ways to break up big groups?)

Mer

Post by Mer » Tue May 07, 2024 12:13 am

Taziar wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:07 am
Mer wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 pm
Nothing like a 6-person daily Smob group rolling up on some decent 1v1 or 2v2 PK to just ruin things. Those "get a huge group to farm things ad nauseum" just turns PK into player smobbing, too, which is just awful for any reasonable human being.
Fireworks? Hurricane? (make it a wilder weave so more availble ways to break up big groups?)
Generally my experience was some enojoyable PK on LS vs. DS, and then a large LS smob group shows up to ruin it.

Draz

Post by Draz » Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 am

What I find hilarious is I intentionally created pk opportunities and was obvious for 99% of what I do.
I explicitly don't exclude people when smobbing and typically advertise when doing so.

Various players smob all day every day for years.
Cityheads were hit every day for months on end by groups that I had nothing to do with.

The only smobbing I did try to control/keep quiet was EB; and that was because we had proven (and explicitly advised) players alting to kill us in groups; and it was so dangerous that we regularly had total party kills. Once I opened that to more players they immediately started hitting it ad nauseum. I'm sorry but I don't know any player (other than me, since I did so at various times) who is going to explicitly advertise that their group is going to have a very high chance of mob ripping, and variously being crit and hagg in predictable locations.

And.. it generated pk. If DS found our tracks going to a portal stone. You know they came. If CoL came. If random murderers came.
It generated pk in an awesome, fucked up, insane, zone, different to anywhere in the game.
I died more than I ever got rares there. And I maintain that had I literally spent the time farming cash; I would have seen a better return, but this let groups of us get involved doing something that was always actively challenging.

I still don't understand changing the load to some % thing that to date; no-one has had a wicked axe load from.
A 20% load for something that kills 1-3 of your party members practically every. time. you. hit. would be plenty.
Portal stone flashes and basin mean even if they don't find your tracks there is a good chance of being tracked down.

Same for jafar, you added mob support, added a narrate that will tell the opposition that people are there, made sure doors couldn't be locked to meet your intent... then bugged the smob out the wazoo (killing every single mob in the castle it still generates tons of extras), then closed it.

Same for iomm, amazing pk generated there, so many fucked up things, total party kills etc, uniques changing hands, and so many awesome escapes or responses also - add a bugle or global narrate on activating crystals in salan.. he takes a good several min to kill, thats plenty for ds to plan to wait at an exit or get to a boat; heck make the boats twice as frequent since the biggest issue there was always all the waiting around 12 tics, then antoher 12 tics for whoever missed the boat,

Draz

Post by Draz » Tue May 07, 2024 12:19 am

That said I am 100% guilty of rolling over pk with smob groups - intentionally when people ask for help, and unintentionally.

Elysia - the reason the smobs aren't getting hit is Tower aren't allowed to hit; also there is no clarity on which smobs are included; at this time the only known ones are Pahar and Greegan. Also the kick on the mobs is insane (try getting kicked hagg in under a round from full)

Of the hits I was involved in before Mayene told WT they can't go to Pahar; I think we had 2 trips to the dreadlord (both instant fails), and 3 to Seandar (2 we managed to kill Luthair and it got people super happy and excited, we failed Deain each time), and once to a new instance in Mayene.. which we killed the mobs and then couldn't figure out any next step before we got pulled.

Draz

Post by Draz » Tue May 07, 2024 12:30 am

I love how challenging stuff is in the waste.

Have spent hours trying to figure out how to get into the spire in GF for tower of Ghenji.

I really love player activated scouts - would it be possible to get a couple through central zones?

For those 'daily pve 1qp quests' for pk clans, particularly those that narrate and are 'intended' to generate pk - could they take a little longer to kill?

the thought that comes to mind is hungry trollocs in Saldaea - I've never once managed to get there before the one trolloc is dead and the person has left and rented.. despite those being zones I am highly familiar with and often in.. even from a zone away on narrate I haven't made it

Draz

Post by Draz » Tue May 07, 2024 12:31 am

Oh and on the flip side of this I hate Woodsmen having an instant narrate that can't be shut down.
Could be misunderstanding this; but my understanding is if they emote, which they do instantly if I enter their room, they've narrated.
A zone yell is great. Narrate.. well phooey.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue May 07, 2024 6:37 am

Draz wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:19 am
Elysia - the reason the smobs aren't getting hit is Tower aren't allowed to hit;
Yeah, that's intended because of unresolved issues.

Tower of Ghenjei was a live global quest several years ago. Neither Rhuidean nor Ebou Dar currently exists.

@Chloro: I really don't have the time, nor the desire to invest that amount of time and energy in a huge event like that.

Frankly, the imms' pov aligns mostly with what Foil said in one of the Round Table things: what can players do. Wrt atmosphere, interacting with others, sportsmanship, being a bit more laid back than min-maxing everything (which creates balance issues, which causes imm work, which eats imm time) etc. Y'all should be happy we have Korsik and Feneon, because without them, big new projects wouldn't even be a regular thing anymore.

Kitiara

Post by Kitiara » Tue May 07, 2024 7:03 am

Taziar wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:05 am

This iteration of TARS isn't pulling as many people as the last one did... I don't know why. Maybe it is the FOFY aspect, maybe there are less smobs that send you so repop times are the main factor it doesn't keep going. I am not sure on that, but I am sure less people are talking about it and trying to do it.

Yea it may be the FOFY aspect, last i heard TAR was turned off temporarily... I had no idea it has been implemented on different smobs.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue May 07, 2024 7:24 am

Draz wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:31 am
Oh and on the flip side of this I hate Woodsmen having an instant narrate that can't be shut down.
Could be misunderstanding this; but my understanding is if they emote, which they do instantly if I enter their room, they've narrated.
A zone yell is great. Narrate.. well phooey.
Woodsmen yell, they don't narrate...

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Tue May 07, 2024 11:57 am

The main point is that the Wheel of Time is what brings players (especially new players) here. Forget adding new zones or whatever, utilize what is already here, but up the ante! Add 4-5 more Aiel themed smobs to the waste. Add bigger Aiel patrols that actually load something. Get more people in the waste will bring more of what you want with more players if the WoT theme is more, if the rewards are more... and remember there is only one way into the waste, so it satisfies your main stated goal which is more interaction.

Take what is already implemented in the Tower of Ghenjei and tweak it to be an end game PVE smob. The vast majority of people that read the books want this kind of content open to play in, to experience the most exciting parts of the book series through their character's eyes.

The status quo of micromanaging balance for PK is a band aid fix for what the real illness is, and that is player numbers. You cannot get people to play this game based on the PK experience, it doesn't sell. Wheel of Time sells. Eventually you can get people to want to PK, but you need to sell them on the world and game experience first.