Retroactive punitive policies

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
azareth

Re: Retroactive punitive policies

Post by azareth » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 pm

Harker wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:40 pm
reil wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:30 pm
Maybe the real QPs were the good times and shenanigans you had along the way. :)
Do you wanna collab on a hallmark movie?
This summer, a Kandori Merchant returns to his village after a falling out with the guild. While trying to figure out how to make a living for himself, he discovers the childhood friend has made a business of adult novelty fox tails. Harker signs on as a test fitter and it’s purely business, or is it? Watch Sweet Home Manala on Wotflix!

Harker

Post by Harker » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

azareth wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 pm
Harker wrote:
reil wrote:
Maybe the real QPs were the good times and shenanigans you had along the way. :)
This summer, a Kandori Merchant returns to his village after a falling out with the guild. While trying to figure out how to make a living for himself, he discovers the childhood friend has made a business of adult novelty fox tails. Harker signs on as a test fitter and it’s purely business, or is it? Watch Sweet Home Manala on Wotflix!
Lol! Also get back in your swamp.

langois

Post by langois » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

Harker wrote:
reil wrote:
This Christmas a big city warder looking for guidance and a simple life meets a small town merchant from Cachin. Pve is in the air, tune in to “Gaidin seeking Guidance”

Harker

Post by Harker » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:59 pm

An arms dealer meets a Harms dealer

Harker

Post by Harker » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 pm

Roryn wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:46 pm
Are you really doubling down and saying "well they started it so I can insult them if I want"?
My insults were hardly insults. Elysia knows they have a very humorless view on life. My years and years of interactions with them which always feel like going to the dentist make my statements ring true. To me at least that's why it's an opinion.

Are you going to claim that my calling out of the other two as Dark Side loyalists somehow being an insult? That's their business. I don't have to advocate for it though.

As far as Vsmpas mention I've said the same thing before and I stand beside it.

I'm not the only one that has volunteered their time trying to help the player base grow. I just hope I'm not the only one that ends up regretting it.

Draconus

Post by Draconus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:41 pm

The game is so much worse off now that the players who apparently barely even pay attention when they are on, and are mostly playing another game, are gone...

Oh what oh what will the game do now that these useless players that add nothing to the game go?!

What's comical is that anyone even half as active as these PvErs would get the scalp requirements in less than a week. Regardless of how good they are in pk...

wazoh

Post by wazoh » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:49 pm

reil wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:06 am
I'm still not clear on what perk associated with 1000 QPs or 3000 QPs you're missing by not fulfilling this requirement if you already have them. For everyone else, it is a "going forward" requirement for a master quest. The ability to PVE for QPs has never been something associated with being a specific rank, afaik.

QPs via PK, QPs for RP, and QPs via PVE all seem to be considered separate systems and if you feel like there needs to be conditions on accessing any of those systems for future QPs not-yet-gained, that's not actually taking anything away that's already been earned via that system - it's just changing the price of admission going forward. Like, you get to keep what you got out of the previous iteration of the systems (QPs, rank, etc.), but here's what you need to do to access it going forward. That is how changes to systems on this game have generally worked, whatever the flaws or virtues of the previous iteration were.

I think the underscore is this: it doesn't really matter. This immediately read like a last gasp of WoTMUD randomly deciding several years too late that PVP needs to be a part of its core identity and needs to be a requirement to advance most character types. That's kind of weird timing-wise, but I think the reaction some people are having to such a fundamentally low bar for it (while counting progress made, in most cases, over multiple years and excluding almost every clan that you'd imagine actually fits the bill from the requirement) is also pretty weird.

That being said, I can take a stab at summarizing actual questions relevant to all non-Wisdom, Gleeman, Illuminator, KMG, and Aes Sedai (?) characters:

1) Is it unreasonable to have 25% of the QPs (25 scalps, 250 QPs) required to master come from PK?
2) Is it unreasonable to have 25% of the QPs (75 scalps, 750 QPs) required to get rank 8 come from PK?
3) Is it unreasonable to require 25 scalps worth of QPs (past and/or future) for current masters to access an end game of unlimited on-demand QPs?
4) Is it unreasonable to require 75 scalps worth of QPs (past and/or future) for current rank 8s to access an end game of unlimited on-demand QPs?

(The DS stuff is whatever - I don't actually know if it's even possible not to have your 75% of your QPs come from PK or TP turn-ins on that side -- does not appear to be drawing a distinction between craftable TPs and PK TPs, so this is largely irrelevant.)
Posting on this character because its the one that sent in a request for my master quest two days before this change. I dont have the exact breakdown of quest points but I don't expect that I have anymore than 5 scalp turn ins at the most. So when several people have said this DOESN'T punish characters.... well yes it does for me for sure. it means that despite JUST WAITING ON A QUEST on the old rules, i now how to get to 1250 qps via a way that i dont enjoy. I WONT BE DOING THIS, and one of my best statted characters is now a complete waste. I also dont appreciate people telling me i can "just play a different clan", as if it would be reasonable to tell any of you that made that point that you had to change your clan, I'd appreciate you not telling me I have to either.

arston

Post by arston » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:50 pm

Draconus wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:41 pm
The game is so much worse off now that the players who apparently barely even pay attention when they are on, and are mostly playing another game, are gone...

Oh what oh what will the game do now that these useless players that add nothing to the game go?!

What's comical is that anyone even half as active as these PvErs would get the scalp requirements in less than a week. Regardless of how good they are in pk...
Washing 3,000,000 dishes in the white tower could be done in less than a week too, doesnt mean that we should make that a requirement everyone has to do in order to master

arston

Post by arston » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:51 pm

reil wrote:
This is 100% the issue here.

The fact is that some people DON'T have fun along along way when pk'ing, I personally dont feel any satisfaction whatsoever if i pk one-vs-three, kill all of three of them, and get ten rares. There is zero-attraction for me in that. I would have the same issue if Imm's implemented a tetris minigame, and said that 25% of our qps had to come from the tetris mini-game. Its not that its "a lot" of quest points, its not that its that hard or would take that much time, its that i dont want to play freaking tetris.

I've heard arguements that "It's good for the game if everyone pk's more" -- I don't personally agree with that- when I started playing, every time i logged in it advertised that there was something for everyone, and even to this day if you click the word "wotmud" up at the top left of your screen, it will take you to a page that advertises 9 different playstyles, only one of them is pk, so despite imms and some players saying this is a "pk mud" thats what YOU use it as but thats not what it was made for or is for other people.

But lets play Dark One's advocate and say that it actually WAS better if more people participated in pk, do you think that people who are pk'ing against their will are going to be fun pk? What kind of pk do you think will happen when someone is told "you have to have this many kills before you can do what you want". Nvm, you are right, they'd probably wouldnt do any kind of cheap kills, or kill-at-all-cost, and im sure they would make sure it was fun for everyone involved.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 pm

My last three posts were deleted...

This requirement would have stopped Taziar from master (which took a decade?), and absolutely stops Taziar from ever making R8 (which would have taken 10 more years anyways...) soooo thanks for stopping me from playing I guess?