Retroactive punitive policies

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Harker

Re: Retroactive punitive policies

Post by Harker » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:43 pm

Elysia wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm
Harker wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 pm
It would also be fine if they could still earn PVE QPS just not be able to go from rank 7 to 8 until they met the requirements. And if they did not want to meet the requirement of 75 scalps they could still have a big QP buffer to issue equipment or pine trees or whatever else you can do with them.
You can still earn PVE qps to go from rank 7 to 8, just not rank to rank 8 until you've also met the rank 8 750 PK qps (total, 250 for rank 7 and an additional 500 for rank 8) requirement. Unless you do not meet the 250 PK qps requirement for rank 7, then you have to get those PK qps before PVE qps are opened up to you again.

You do not have to get rank 7, then earn another 500 PK qps before PVE qps open up to you.

There are only a handful of people who do not meet the 250 PK qps at rank 7 requirement. The owners of these 5 characters were contacted. They retain their rank and master flag, but lose the ability to earn PVE qps until they meet their rank's PK qps requirement.

I still think it should have been a going forward sort of thing only. It is also fairly convoluted.

If you're one of these people affected and you want to earn those scalps I will be more than happy to help you out in any way. I have plenty of gear and I do know how to PVP I can take you and we can see if we can get some kills. Send me a mail and keep in mind I only theoretically play on the weekends or just before server and just after server reset.

That being said I still feel like something like this could have been rolled out a lot more smoothly.

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm

I will make sure to log on the characters I think nobody knows about because I am very good at separating my alts and help you if you are pking with me :D

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 pm

Taziar wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm
How many player kills on my Trophy list per character do I need to show you that I have a full understanding of the game? How many edits on the wiki? How many scripts do I need to publish?

I have these new requirements on Taziar to reach R8 if you use my Trophy list. I just will not farm PC scalps for it.

And it seems short sighted to me for you to dismiss any player from playing this game, especially when this new policy states you CANNOT advance without other players playing.
You don't have to prove anything to me. I also have no idea what your game knowledge is nor do I really care. The people who run the game, want the game to advance like this. It is their idea of what the game should look like. I just happen to agree with it.

As far as being short sighted to dismiss players. Would you feel the same way if someone was going to quite because there was too much pve and not enough pk? Somehow i doubt it, but maybe. We all have opinions on what we think is the best way to play the game. They definitely aren't all the same so there is no way to keep every single person happy. In either case, i wish the person the best, but maybe the game isn't for them.

I will say though, if you're the type to throw a fit and talk about collusion and conspiracy. To play the victim and threaten to quit and talk about all the ways that you're being targeted. Please leave.

Harker

Post by Harker » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 pm

Rig wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm
I will make sure to log on the characters I think nobody knows about because I am very good at separating my alts and help you if you are pking with me :D
If you're I'm directing this at me I know about two of your characters and if I could unlearn it I would. Anyone who knows me knows I don't like to know most people's Litany of characters. I actively tell people not to tell me even though sometimes they do. However I'm pretty sure once you start talking on a character we will be able to figure it out.

arston

Post by arston » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:57 pm

Kryyg wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:30 am
I’m all for people playing however they want and enjoy just having the who list larger.

That said, this game was created as a PK mud. I forget what MUD all the original players/immortals abandoned before making this one. The roots of this game are PK and the staff has gone above and beyond to accommodate non PKers in the last 2-5 years. Honestly, this is the result you get when you do that.
This game is NOT created as a PK mud. literally click the wotmud logo at the top of your screen. It LISTS what types of players are welcome to this game and PK'ers make up 1/9 or 11% of that list.

Roryn wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:51 pm
Healthier for the game is people do a little of both and understand why the immortals might want players to be well rounded. If people participated in all aspects of the game more, then you can't argue that it would be a healthier place where rarely would people not have the aspect of the game that they like out of reach.

Your example, if the player of Tazier is unwilling to either get 25% of his advancement from pvp or instead play another character that he can get full advancement on, then he's probably better off playing another game. Because he'll be happier there.

It's not the immortals job to make every single person happy. It's their job to provide a direction for the ship. Which as far as I can tell, is what they're trying to do here. I think there's a case to be made that masters can still earn pve qps up to rank 8 but can't rank until they have their 25% from pk scalps.

But i don't think that that anyone can say you can't advance your character through pve. You just can't do it soley through pve unless you're in specific, rp fitting clans.
Healthier for the game is for people to CHOOSE to be more well-rounded players. In what way is forcing someone to play a certain way healthy in any way? And despite the propaganda, this change does nothing to "make the game more well-rounded" or you would see people being forced to get a certain percentage of their quest points through PVE, I don't see anyone getting forced to try out crafting, or forced to go earn gold. This is very clearly doing the opposite of making the mud "well-rounded" its forcing one playstyle on everyone.

wazoh

Post by wazoh » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:02 pm

Elysia wrote:
Harker wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 pm
It would also be fine if they could still earn PVE QPS just not be able to go from rank 7 to 8 until they met the requirements. And if they did not want to meet the requirement of 75 scalps they could still have a big QP buffer to issue equipment or pine trees or whatever else you can do with them.
You can still earn PVE qps to go from rank 7 to 8, just not rank to rank 8 until you've also met the rank 8 750 PK qps (total, 250 for rank 7 and an additional 500 for rank 8) requirement. Unless you do not meet the 250 PK qps requirement for rank 7, then you have to get those PK qps before PVE qps are opened up to you again.

You do not have to get rank 7, then earn another 500 PK qps before PVE qps open up to you.

There are only a handful of people who do not meet the 250 PK qps at rank 7 requirement. The owners of these 5 characters were contacted. They retain their rank and master flag, but lose the ability to earn PVE qps until they meet their rank's PK qps requirement.
What about my situation? I had over 1000 qps and had mailed Khnum about a master quest 2 days before this came out, am i also unable to earn qps through pve until i get 25 scalps?

Thore

Post by Thore » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:10 pm

Elysia wrote:

My character is one of those five, it appears. But in a heavily-forced RP clan that should be (but is not as of yet) exempt alongside those listed in the post. I'm awaiting a decision.

For me - I don't even dislike the change. I do dislike that I had earned a free lunch with 10 punches but now gotta get 2 new punches because somehow 2 of those punches don't qualify any more. If it's five chars just give them free passes - what's being achieved by not?

I don't even need the free pass, it's just the principle of it and the optics broadcast by it. I dislike most of the PVE-QP methods, and have no desire to R8 (yet). I purposely (due to RP) abstained from collecting PK scalps when I could have, because of that character's clan's RP.

I adore you all, generally, and wish we could all treat each other that way through words and actions, which matter, because we're all people. If you're ever in the Tacoma/Seattle area, come have a beer with me!

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 pm

Roryn wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 pm
Taziar wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm
How many player kills on my Trophy list per character do I need to show you that I have a full understanding of the game? How many edits on the wiki? How many scripts do I need to publish?

I have these new requirements on Taziar to reach R8 if you use my Trophy list. I just will not farm PC scalps for it.

And it seems short sighted to me for you to dismiss any player from playing this game, especially when this new policy states you CANNOT advance without other players playing.
You don't have to prove anything to me. I also have no idea what your game knowledge is nor do I really care. The people who run the game, want the game to advance like this. It is their idea of what the game should look like. I just happen to agree with it.

As far as being short sighted to dismiss players. Would you feel the same way if someone was going to quite because there was too much pve and not enough pk? Somehow i doubt it, but maybe. We all have opinions on what we think is the best way to play the game. They definitely aren't all the same so there is no way to keep every single person happy. In either case, i wish the person the best, but maybe the game isn't for them.

I will say though, if you're the type to throw a fit and talk about collusion and conspiracy. To play the victim and threaten to quit and talk about all the ways that you're being targeted. Please leave.

Well, thanks for sharing on your most unknown alt. And that last bit, about asking Rig to please leave... thats fucked up.

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:20 pm

On my most unknown? This probably my most known lol.

Unless you count Bearabus, the guy who started the bear craze! I actually think he's the most known these days. And hell that was during covid.

I also have no idea what that has to do with the discussion.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:25 pm

wazoh wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:02 pm
What about my situation? I had over 1000 qps and had mailed Khnum about a master quest 2 days before this came out, am i also unable to earn qps through pve until i get 25 scalps?
That will likely have to be discussed at Staff level, but you could always opt out of mastering for now and work on PVE qps and PK qps simultaneously.