Retroactive punitive policies

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Harker

Re: Retroactive punitive policies

Post by Harker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:14 pm

Harun wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:12 pm
You've made nine posts on this thread and not even attempted to make a case for why this change is bad for balance. If you think it's a "bad change" then be brave and make a case.
Well first and foremost this game is never going to be balanced. All this is going to do is run some players off. With that I think I might be taking a good long break. As I said before this affects none of my characters but this terrible policy making that seems to be aimed at a certain sort of player here lately it's just too much. I hope others who feel the same way just take off and find something else to do. When there's no one left to play maybe they will see the error in their ways but probably not most of the immortal staff and the people in favor of a change like this suffer from something called narcissism. Langois proved it for all of yall.

Elysia has the personality of a potato.

Korsik and feneon seem to be ds loyalists... at least one of them is funny sometimes

And Vampa is the personification of the fox warching the hen house.

arston

Post by arston » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 pm

Elysia wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:02 pm
Harker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 pm
gok wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm
It is not clear to me why the change is required. I appreciate the keeping of status quo with people not losing ranks but it does feel like people who prefer to acquire qps from non pk activities may see this as forcing them to pk. To be fair that is largely how the game used to be but I liked the direction that was taken where you could choose your path to master/R8. Like Harker I don’t have a horse in this race but it does seem like a bunch of admin for something that I can’t see making the game better.
It's what happens when the immortal staff is predominantly Dark Side players and or mixed with only taking advice from Hardcore player Killers or dark side players.
Now that's bollocks. I've been saying for more than a decade that the game is better off when we have players who dabble in every aspect of the game. Previously, everyone had to at least try their hand at pk. Some ended up liking it, others not so much but learning enough to hold their own, which incidentally means that LS groups become stronger. Additionally, people at least grasping the basics creates understanding of some mechanics and the perspective of those who prefer pk, which leads to less polarization and hostility, something you could use a dose of.

I was the one most vocal about pushing for this change, so your narrative is way off base.
Ah, so we will likely see 250 qps required from smobbing to master as well then? because it seems like every time the "this game is built for lots of different playstyles" it still only ever comes down to forcing people who dont like to pk.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 pm

arston wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 pm
Elysia wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:02 pm
Harker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 pm

It's what happens when the immortal staff is predominantly Dark Side players and or mixed with only taking advice from Hardcore player Killers or dark side players.
Now that's bollocks. I've been saying for more than a decade that the game is better off when we have players who dabble in every aspect of the game. Previously, everyone had to at least try their hand at pk. Some ended up liking it, others not so much but learning enough to hold their own, which incidentally means that LS groups become stronger. Additionally, people at least grasping the basics creates understanding of some mechanics and the perspective of those who prefer pk, which leads to less polarization and hostility, something you could use a dose of.

I was the one most vocal about pushing for this change, so your narrative is way off base.
Ah, so we will likely see 250 qps required from smobbing to master as well then? because it seems like every time the "this game is built for lots of different playstyles" it still only ever comes down to forcing people who dont like to pk.
No, PVE is assumed to happen, due to dailies etc. It's RP that is going to be a requirement for some.

Also, @Harker, I'm more a wheel of cheese type of personality.

arston

Post by arston » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 pm

Lol, this is hilarious, you have an epic game with some of the greatest game mechanics ever invented, that literally can make a unique experience and fully tailor to each players wants, and you give that all up so you can force your playstyle down other peoples throats.

Harker

Post by Harker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 pm

Apologies to anyone's feathers I've ruffled. I don't know why but I always get more pissed off about things that don't directly involve me but I perceive as even a slight Injustice to some of my friends. I know at least a few people who are directly affected by this and I don't know I feel like I need to have a super Amplified voice for them even though my tact is questionable.

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:22 pm

Half of the people in this thread are trying to raise questions and concerns about a policy change, and the other half are mocking or invalidating them. The latter are adding to a toxic environment that has grown in this community as more people have left, and it really should not be tolerated at all.

In a vacuum, this change feels fine and really isn’t a big ask for the majority of this player base, and I appreciate that it was done with an eye for fairness and not removing any bonuses for people who already earned them. Elysia’s points are fair and many people here agree that PK is the heart of what makes this game successful.

My concern is what Gok already tastefully noted: I think this policy change would be more palatable if it were delivered in tandem with an update from staff about how they feel this change will help grow the game, their vision for what it will accomplish, or other changes down the road that it would enable (like, say, revamps to master or R8 bonuses or LS remorts).

As it stands, this has added more checks and balances and introduced no tangible benefits to the players, so it makes perfect sense that people who don’t like to PK are going to see this as a restriction on how they want to play. And even if only 2-3 people stop playing because it removes a pathway to the accomplishments they want to achieve, that is roughly 10% of our active current community. That is not insignificant and it concerns me.

arston

Post by arston » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 pm

Sarinda wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:22 pm
Half of the people in this thread are trying to raise questions and concerns about a policy change, and the other half are mocking or invalidating them. The latter are adding to a toxic environment that has grown in this community as more people have left, and it really should not be tolerated at all.

In a vacuum, this change feels fine and really isn’t a big ask for the majority of this player base, and I appreciate that it was done with an eye for fairness and not removing any bonuses for people who already earned them. Elysia’s points are fair and many people here agree that PK is the heart of what makes this game successful.

My concern is what Gok already tastefully noted: I think this policy change would be more palatable if it were delivered in tandem with an update from staff about how they feel this change will help grow the game, their vision for what it will accomplish, or other changes down the road that it would enable (like, say, revamps to master or R8 bonuses or LS remorts).

As it stands, this has added more checks and balances and introduced no tangible benefits to the players, so it makes perfect sense that people who don’t like to PK are going to see this as a restriction on how they want to play. And even if only 2-3 people stop playing because it removes a pathway to the accomplishments they want to achieve, that is roughly 10% of our active current community. That is not insignificant and it concerns me.
you're right its not a "big ask" --- its a demand. Its another way of saying "play the way we want you to play, or you will never master and any progress you made on that character is forfeit" its creating a bigger division between pk clans and "lesser clans" as if there wasn't enough hostility and downplaying of other people's accomplishments.

hasp

Post by hasp » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 pm

Existing Masters will be audited for this requirement. To be clear, you will not lose your master status. We will however be flagging characters that do not meet the 250 qps from scalp minimum in a way that they will be unable to earn qps through Heralds, CTF cities, Dailies, Local Smobs, Nelso, and the Weary Merchant. You will receive a mail from me with the remaining scalps needed to clear this flag.

Rank 8 requirements will now include 750 qps from scalp turn-ins. You will not lose R8 status but you will be auditted and flagged as mentioned above.

It is a real dick move honestly to retroactively enforce this rule. Moving forward would make sense but to go back and flag every char that does not meet the requirement is a bit much. They fairly utilized the system put forth for them to achieve what they wanted but now must go do something they may or may not like to be able to keep doing certain activities that are meaningful to them. It can be sometimes disappointing at the vision you guys have for this game. Both my masters are safe but this is a complete slap in the face for those that did the work only to have certain aspects removed now.

Dukug

Post by Dukug » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:56 pm

Dark Side Remorts will no longer earn qps through PVE activities. There will also be a minimum standard of 75% of qps earned from PVP scalps or TP turn ins in order to rank. No change to existing ranks.
That is the only thing that makes sense in the post. Fades, like Wolfbrothers, turn the game into easy mode and should have easy mode options turned off.

I've always strongly supported PK as the main avenue of character progression in WoTmud and have mastered multiple non-clan-bonused characters through PK mainly. I like to think I've helped many people in PK on both sides get qpts as well. That said, I agree with the non-denigrating speakers before me who don't see the benefit in this new policy.

Why remove the will to play from players who merely want to enjoy the world of WoTMUD in a casual way?

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:08 pm

I feel like people are really missing the fact that players still have avenues to get 100% pve reward with several clans. No one is removing their ability to pve for rewards.

They're just saying that in the other clans they need to get a very small amount of scalps in order to progress. No one is forcing anyone to play a specific way. If you don't want to get the heads, just play in one of the clans that doesn't require it.