Retroactive punitive policies

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
gok

Re: Retroactive punitive policies

Post by gok » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm

It is not clear to me why the change is required. I appreciate the keeping of status quo with people not losing ranks but it does feel like people who prefer to acquire qps from non pk activities may see this as forcing them to pk. To be fair that is largely how the game used to be but I liked the direction that was taken where you could choose your path to master/R8. Like Harker I don’t have a horse in this race but it does seem like a bunch of admin for something that I can’t see making the game better.

Harker

Post by Harker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 pm

gok wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm
It is not clear to me why the change is required. I appreciate the keeping of status quo with people not losing ranks but it does feel like people who prefer to acquire qps from non pk activities may see this as forcing them to pk. To be fair that is largely how the game used to be but I liked the direction that was taken where you could choose your path to master/R8. Like Harker I don’t have a horse in this race but it does seem like a bunch of admin for something that I can’t see making the game better.
It's what happens when the immortal staff is predominantly Dark Side players and or mixed with only taking advice from Hardcore player Killers or dark side players.

gok

Post by gok » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm

I play mostly dark side and 95% + of my qps is from scalps or tps. I totally get the frustration people have of trying to find pk only to have people scatter into throne rooms 80% of the time, the game feels way different than 5-10 years ago….but I love the way the imms have given people choice. This feels like that has been pulled back and I am sure with good intention. I just don’t follow the bread crumbs to how this makes a better game.

Harker

Post by Harker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:28 pm

gok wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm
I play mostly dark side and 95% + of my qps is from scalps or tps. I totally get the frustration people have of trying to find pk only to have people scatter into throne rooms 80% of the time, the game feels way different than 5-10 years ago….but I love the way the imms have given people choice. This feels like that has been pulled back and I am sure with good intention. I just don’t follow the bread crumbs to how this makes a better game.
So do you think it's equally frustrating for the people who were just minding their own business to have to stop what they're doing and Scatter into the throne room?

gok

Post by gok » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:38 pm

I certainly see the frustration and perhaps it speaks to the objectives of what the mud is supposed to be. In my mind it is a place where you have many options of progression available to you pvp, pve and rp. With the underlying base that there are no or at least limited safe spaces on the mud. I personally like the feeling of needing to be weary of danger. It sounds like you would prefer a non pvp flag so you can go about your tasks uninterrupted?

reil

Post by reil » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:39 pm

Not being able to do something you were able to do yesterday for future QPs/rank because of a new requirement but not actually losing earned QPs/rank isn't retroactively punitive. Having any work you've already done towards the new requirement count is retroactively beneficial. I don't know how else to explain this to you, this isn't that hard. Just say you don't want to PK and join my 1:1:10 + Turn Off PVP campaign to definitively ensure WoTMUD Now isn't confused for WoTMUD Then.

langois

Post by langois » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 pm

Harker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm
langois wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:53 pm
What punishment?

It’s written clear as day no one will lose rank over this change.

This player base will complain about anything and bend over backwards to avoid actually playing the game within the spirit of the game
Have you ever stopped to think that the spirit of the game might be subjective?

Nope. And then policy change like this comes in and reaffirms that I am correct

Harker

Post by Harker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 pm

langois wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 pm
Harker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm
langois wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:53 pm
What punishment?

It’s written clear as day no one will lose rank over this change.

This player base will complain about anything and bend over backwards to avoid actually playing the game within the spirit of the game
Have you ever stopped to think that the spirit of the game might be subjective?

Nope. And then policy change like this comes in and reaffirms that I am correct
So by saying nope you assert that we should only play as you see fit?

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:02 pm

Harker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 pm
gok wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm
It's what happens when the immortal staff is predominantly Dark Side players and or mixed with only taking advice from Hardcore player Killers or dark side players.
Now that's bollocks. I've been saying for more than a decade that the game is better off when we have players who dabble in every aspect of the game. Previously, everyone had to at least try their hand at pk. Some ended up liking it, others not so much but learning enough to hold their own, which incidentally means that LS groups become stronger. Additionally, people at least grasping the basics creates understanding of some mechanics and the perspective of those who prefer pk, which leads to less polarization and hostility, something you could use a dose of.

I was the one most vocal about pushing for this change, so your narrative is way off base.

Harun

Post by Harun » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:12 pm

You've made nine posts on this thread and not even attempted to make a case for why this change is bad for balance. If you think it's a "bad change" then be brave and make a case.