Retroactive punitive policies

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Margaux

Re: Retroactive punitive policies

Post by Margaux » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 pm

Taziar wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:43 pm
reil wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm
You're looking at just the people who are already masters. The only real impact is on a go-forward basis for anyone looking to rank from 6 to 7 or 7 to 8.
Thank you for your response.

byrg

Post by byrg » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:15 pm

Margaux wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 pm
Taziar wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:43 pm
reil wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm
You're looking at just the people who are already masters. The only real impact is on a go-forward basis for anyone looking to rank from 6 to 7 or 7 to 8.

arston

Post by arston » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:47 pm

gok wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm
I play mostly dark side and 95% + of my qps is from scalps or tps. I totally get the frustration people have of trying to find pk only to have people scatter into throne rooms 80% of the time, the game feels way different than 5-10 years ago….but I love the way the imms have given people choice. This feels like that has been pulled back and I am sure with good intention. I just don’t follow the bread crumbs to how this makes a better game.

Rig

Post by Rig » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25 pm

arston wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:47 pm

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:11 pm

Oh dung, I'm trending

jeb

Post by jeb » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 pm

onta wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 pm
I enjoying PKing on unclanned characters.

I don't expect to get bonuses or progress in any meaningful way.
Are you saying the belt wasn't meaningful? :(

onta

Post by onta » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:58 am

jeb wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 pm
onta wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 pm
I enjoying PKing on unclanned characters.

I don't expect to get bonuses or progress in any meaningful way.
Are you saying the belt wasn't meaningful? :(
Not at all. I very much look forward to dying with it eventually.

I am saying I didn't expect to get anything out of PKing other that the warm fuzzies that wanton murder brings about. Moreover, by PKing on an unclanned character, I know I'm not participating in the QP rat race and not progressing the character in the terms of the game. I'm just playing.

My point was simple. If people like smobbing and stuff, the need to get QPs shouldn't be a factor. If, instead, they wish to progress a character, earn bonuses, and participate in advancement in terms of the game, then they need to spend some time attempting to murder their fellow players characters too. I spoke up because someone claimed that people don't PK on unclanned characters. I know that to be false because I do it with some regularity.

Neither clan rank advancement nor the accumulation of QPS is a requirement for playing the game the way you enjoy playing it. Those are aspects of the MUD that entail obligations on a character for game mechanical, role playing, or other reasons (most of them reasonably good).

Blael

Post by Blael » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:47 pm

I feel that inexperience, not being known and not agreeing that ppl should be forced into pk will make it so I won't be heard (who is this guy, who cares anyway, right?).

I'm the quiet one, the middle, the newish one that keeps mouth shut because everyone else is so loud and only seems to care about their own position.

I'll just stick it on the list of gentle demotivators to play, like when they messed with Tower RP stuff.

Why do I care? I guess I don't for myself, really. I'm not super motivated to master in the Wall Guard, don't even know if the pk would be a requirement for me, FM is a neutral city state, more or less WG are just glorified local police and something nice for the rich ladies of the city to look at. Doesn't feel like fighting the shadow would be very RP of them (unless the shadow is right outside huh) but they're a LS justice clan right? so it probably is required. But I digress...

Activity begets activity... pve leads to pvp on it's own, build a bouyant game environment and people will live in it, some of them, nay many of them, will turn to murder at some point. Let the play flow how it flows.

It feels like there have been a lot of new players find the mud in the last few months, why aren't they staying? They're your future pk content, once they're trained up and engrossed.

(sounding too salty here)

rebecca

Post by rebecca » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:42 am

Yea imo at it's core wotmud should be a sandbox where the only rules are keep it WoTish and don't break the game rules or behaviour rules.

I thought adding qps from things like heralds or RP was a step in a good direction of increasing the sandbox aspect of the game. They felt like good updates to modernise/improve/build the game. You want to rp to rank 8, then go ahead. Or you want to farm smobs to rank 8, go ahead. You want to pk 18 hours a day, or you want to log in and do a daily, then go ahead.

Of course there isn't complete freedom. Clans have different requirements to join. Whether PK or RP requirements. But that is okay, it adds to the variety and people know what they are signing up for.

For my 2 cents, this should have been:

1. not retroactive, current rank 7 and rank 8 should not be in any way affected. If it only affects a few people then it feels kind of targeted.

2. Instead of specifying what clans are exempt, it should really only be for specific clans. How many clans actually care if their masters got 10 scalps or zero scalps? I certainly don't care.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 am

As someone who generally leans much more on the PvE / RP side of things, I don't really see the massive issue in requiring 25 heads to rank to 7. Someone earlier in the thread said you'd get that many by accident by that time, which I feel like has some truth to it (unless you actively avoid all PK, which fair enough).
We will however be flagging characters that do not meet the 250 qps from scalp minimum in a way that they will be unable to earn qps through Heralds, CTF cities, Dailies, Local Smobs, Nelso, and the Weary Merchant. You will receive a mail from me with the remaining scalps needed to clear this flag.
I wouldn't want to login to my character and realize I have to suddenly drum up some PK kills (it is mostly dead when I play) in order to get any other awards; seems like my read is not correct but tbh I skimmed the last few pages of this thread.

I will say it would be nice if y'all could talk/argue/debate about a current topic without dragging in literal years-old beefs into it. :lol:
Aes Sedai will have a separate set of requirements that will be announced on the Aes Sedai Forums.
Did this get posted? Didn't see it.