Arbitrary Punishments

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
arston

Re: Arbitrary Punishments

Post by arston » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:21 pm

Yeah its hard to see how this is more toxic than his normal day-to-day behavior.

Unless he was voiping with someone who let him know when he logged on and told him where he was and weighed him down a bunch right before he stabbed. But there wouldnt be any way to prove that even if you suspected it. Would be much more suspicious if it was in any room other than the barracks which is the safest spot to wait out for people or if he had passed other people up just waiting for meph. I could kinda see how the punishment could be justified if this was known that he was doing super shady like that but still seems excessive unless he'd been warned about that kinda stuff before

byrg

Post by byrg » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:33 pm

Whole thing seems dumb... and very vague and not applied equally. There are near daily houseguest violations based on the way the houseguest post is written, and they're very rarely dealt with - from the outside looking in it sure seems like that was just a convenient excuse.

Also, feel like editing of announcement posts to remove statements and whatnot shouldn't be allowed. A follow up "hey we're not doing this anymore" or something would be a lot less confusing to the people who saw the thing that has since been removed.

Jaxon

Post by Jaxon » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:48 am

This particular punishment seems odd to me. I don't agree with it at all.

Fermin makes a great point here:

There is zero reason for the above punishment and goes against 20+ years of wotmud history.

langois

Post by langois » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:57 am

I think it’s worth noting the cross section of players, friends and enemies and indifferents who have commented here. All in agreement.

Vampa felt he needed a break, that should have been a private chat.

I think the right course of action is to unjail his alts and let the player know he’s welcome back if he’s ready to. While simultaneously deciding what our policy on sleep and incin is.

Zarth

Post by Zarth » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:10 pm

He needed a break for his own good. He died to a solo abser and was about to go on tilt.

Vampa

Post by Vampa » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:26 pm

The decision isn't arbitrary. There is reasoning behind it, and that's reasoning that I am not going to make fully public, because much of what precipitated it occurred privately. This wasn't a response to a singular incident. Mephistopheles, uniques, or methods by which he was killed has nothing at all to do with it. It was a mistake to make a public post that in any way indicated that the aforementioned were factors.

I made this decision based upon the player who was given a break, and my perception that they needed to take a sabbatical for a bit to cool down. This has not been something we have a precedent for until I have been an immortal. This has been done before., but not in any way publicly. It is something that I will continue to do at times I feel it is necessary. None of this should have been public, and that's my mistake, both in that it was public and how it was represented. That does not affect my decision, though it does affect how I will handle similar scenarios in the future.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:13 pm

I will say I wish Nass had given me a forced sabbatical of 3 weeks instead of deleting all my chars for calling him a needle dick! :)

Jaxon

Post by Jaxon » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:37 pm

Gatorade!
H2O!
The water sucks, it really really sucks!

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:41 pm

Thank you for the reply Vampa.

As someone who has also needed breaks I understand more now. It came across as an attack on sleep stab which immortals have never really come out against in the past. Sleep stab has been in the game always. I have fond memories of dying at maulers and predators and fonder ones still of sitting in random doors just talking dung and waiting for one of them to port into their doom.

Draconus

Post by Draconus » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:14 pm

Rofl... Vampa's post is too funny...

The guy who got banned is an adult. He has the capacity to decide when he needs a break or not. He doesn't need a random guy to decide that for him.

The only time any immortal has the right to be banning people is when they have broken a rule.

They can give recommendations, suggestions and advice, but it makes no sense to just ban them if they haven't broken a rule.

This explanation just goes to show how this fake authority has gone to some immortals heads.