Arbitrary Punishments

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
isabel

Re: Arbitrary Punishments

Post by isabel » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 pm

It is arbitrary not in the sense that there is no reasoning behind it but in the sense that it does not follow from an existing rule that can be consistently enforced. Hence it has suddenly and situationally been created - therefore, an arbitrary ruling.

Not at all saying that this means players should be rude to imms as is the case in some.of the posts here (like the one before mine :)) - people should follow their own advice about the power of conversation and a civil conversation can get that point across much better!

Imms are not perfect. I remember a Very frustrating conversation with an imm about lockshear rats and he kept reassuring me in a very very very condescending tone that it was fine and working as intended. Recently I saw on forums that it had been reduced and ...oh well :p

Anyway but why do we get all indignant and upset when imms screw up? It's like this displaced daddy complex where the so called powers that be turn out to be just as flawed and liable to make silly decisions. So what! Someone has to have the power. It's not the end of the world.

I've always seen that when (stupid) game stuff starts to get to me, what really helps is (cough cough) taking a break :p

arston

Post by arston » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:26 pm

Imms don't have to be perfect, they dont have to make the right call. Sometimes a tough choice comes along and people are going to be unhappy either way and you just do the best you can and move on.

Sometimes the choice doesn't HAVE to be made though, and its just Immortal's pushing their playstyle onto other people or have too narrow of a focus that they don't see the impact of things elsewhere. This one ended up with sleep being banned from MC's in an time when sleep stabbing players is at the lowest its been in the 5 years ive been playing. It used to be watching for sleep-stabs was just part of the game that you watched out for, but now one person has done it (at least that i know of there coulda been more i suppose) in the last year and its a huge problem enough to mess up hundreds of other characters with it. I know I have invested hundreds of hours on statting/levelling MC's who's purpose was strictly to sleep stab smobs and I know several players with lots more than me, but all thats gone on a whim and im left with 5 characters that I'll never use again.

I'll get over it, I have with 4 out of the 5 earlier times that I lost 100+ hours to an imms whim, and now I don't even bother to invest time in anything anymore because nothing is secure in this game and just because something has been working for 20 years doesnt mean that tomorrow its be "condusive to the game"

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:07 am

That definitely sucks and seems like an overreaction from upstairs.

But I don't think we should think of it as a never ever situation. A lot of things get rolled back no? Like remember that whole cairhien rent fiasco that eventually just got rolled back (sorry to the imms but those are the facts).

We should wait and watch..the immediate consequences were probably not clear perhaps. Same with heralds also.

I think what may help is to convey this to imms..this is how I used this ability, this is how it helped the game, this is why I feel we should reinstate it. Then hope for the best.

I mean for me the worst blow was rank 8 zone sense. It was the single most time saving thing for me. Even now I see no point in logging on randomly waiting in my India time hours..when I can just check quickly. It sucks and was the only reason I went for R8. But it's not the only thing in the game and maybe someday it'll come back.

Sobek

Post by Sobek » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:19 pm

Pretty deep conversations here, just disable sleep and incin, it should be an easy switch on the other side.

Ambush was downed greatly when it created problems in PK. Or make a code for stabbing sleeping targets be like when you have fear status,

“Backstab a sleeping person? Where’s the Honor in that?! Or Backstab failed.

I fear the day will come, Imms will come at me and say Stop Sobek’ing people. I’d be so sad to my core :((

azareth

Post by azareth » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:46 pm

I don’t understand anything coding, but I wish sleep would stay and somehow be coded not to work on players.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:53 pm

Keep sleep. Make stab a % of hps. Problem solved.

Feneon

Post by Feneon » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:05 pm

Sleep wasn't removed, you need to be clanned in order to access the weave and it's restricted by rank.

jafra

Post by jafra » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:05 pm

Mcs have to be clanned and ranked to sleep stab now? What's the rank requirement. What if we just wanna sleep stab smobs and not use it for pk, is that any different?

Talimar

Post by Talimar » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:25 am

Questioning your overlords is outside of the intent of the game, prepare to get punished.

Draz

Post by Draz » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:07 am

If imms are looking at changing unbalanced weaves can you please look at slow? its insane.

sleep I'd just double the timer; with city squares mostly having !sleep coding I'm unsure if its an issue outside of that
Definitely making it only land on mobs would be useful (the fact that I love the weave probably indicates part of the issue)