Defender/attacker balance in clan rooms

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
glynn

Defender/attacker balance in clan rooms

Post by glynn » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:38 pm

Roberto's (un)timely demise in his clan rooms got me thinking about balance in clan rooms. Personally, I think clan rooms should not be a dt for attackers, but should favor defenders much more than they do. As it is, they often favor defenders about as much as a ctf with a mobol operated door.

From my perspective, you have open fights in a neutral zone, which should be evenly balanced and are useful for evenly balanced parties, mobs and zones that favor one side, cities or bases that heavily favor defenders, and clan rooms, which should dramatically favor defenders. There should be an option for an intrepid attacker to try to finish someone in clan rooms, but it should come with more risk than it does to a raiding party. As it is, if you are substantially outnumbered in a zone, engaging even a single attacker in your own clan room is almost certainly going to result in death for a defender, provided the attacker knows they can let as many of their side in as they'd like. That seems to be just as bad as certain death for attackers.

I think it is useful to allow them to be used for defending in situations where you're outnumbered and low in your home zone. It provides an opportunity for pk to continue despite unbalanced numbers, and seems to be RP appropriate. Some options here might include increasing the level and/or number of mobs, adding autorescue or a rescue command, and adding emote damage.

If you wanted to further increase the risk for the attacker, you could also adjust the inside door so that for unclanned, being able to open the door from the inside fail on a percent, or in clan areas with more than one room, don't allow them to open while engaged, as with entering the ways (where pull leaf often requires many tries before it works, and doesn't work when engaged). This both makes it harder for attackers to escape and makes it harder for them to let in a large group (which is what happened in the Roberto example).

Attacking and killing someone in the heart of their base should be a bold and impressive move. Right now it's not. It's a demonstration that you know and can exploit a quirk in game mechanics. In the Roberto example, it was a good move by the attackers, but only because of Roberto's ignorance.

Log that inspired this balance suggestion: https://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=18814

Eol

Re: Defender/attacker balance in clan rooms

Post by Eol » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:17 pm

Do you think the Imms would find it toxic to wait in a clan base and kill players as they sign onto the game?

glynn

Post by glynn » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:35 pm

One way to find out

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:01 pm

Eol wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:17 pm
Do you think the Imms would find it toxic to wait in a clan base and kill players as they sign onto the game?
Consider that we made rents no-hide and extrapolate...

Revamping all clan bases is not a small project though. :?

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 pm

There was a time when the motto of the game was there is no place safe.

The Mephistopheles death was horseshit (from what I can tell). I am still confused as to what exactly happened and haven't logged on in a week or 2 to get details.

The Roberto death is on him, if he knew they were in the city. Instead of making them 100% safe, or 100% deathtraps, I would suggest an egress method that is guaranteed in all clan rooms for the clanned chars. Something similar to a jump. Not guaranteed for the opposing faction, but still a regular way to exit (pull lantern, sconce, knock door etc..).

I know Walker and I try to trap DS in our clan rooms :) Its an exciting NE part of inside the FD keep.

Pugbert

Post by Pugbert » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:31 pm

Kryyg wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 pm
I know Walker and I try to trap DS in our clan rooms :) Its an exciting NE part of inside the FD keep.
Meanwhile one ghar doors a WB in the ghar clan room and the door gets removed for the sake of "balance" and "fairness".

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:33 pm

Well that is obvious. You can't door a WB or a Black Talon (previously also the Blademaster clan). Its a known rule. 75% of the players in those clans have immortal alts!! Just kidding. But not really.

I should also add that I usually end up dying to Walker in those rooms. With Kiruakns in my backpack most recently.

langois

Post by langois » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:40 pm

Kryyg wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:33 pm
Well that is obvious. You can't door a WB or a Black Talon (previously also the Blademaster clan). Its a known rule. 75% of the players in those clans have immortal alts!! Just kidding. But not really.
Doorbushing them also leads to change.

Divina

Post by Divina » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:58 am

Eol wrote:
An image of Razhak looting the Children of Light chest pops into mind. Though I think that was more just a bug from memory.

Eol

Post by Eol » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:59 am

Divina wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:58 am
Eol wrote:
An image of Razhak looting the Children of Light chest pops into mind. Though I think that was more just a bug from memory.
The Imms are too clever now. The other day I wondered to myself - could I add some gold axes and chainmail to the Dhai'mon chest as a gift from a Ghar'ghael. The answer sadly was no.