Defender/attacker balance in clan rooms

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
vhalerie

Re: Defender/attacker balance in clan rooms

Post by vhalerie » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:58 pm

mush wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:55 pm
I'm just enjoying seeing how long it takes clan doors to open and close increasing in every other post. We started at 10 seconds, now we're at 30 seconds, do we have anyone going for the full minute?
big surprise, clans with doors that open at different times are reporting different times! I know that civil watches can open and close two-to-three times in the same time that ours even opens once, and then spends an equal amount of time before it shuts again. A quarter of my pk rips have been because someone was able to track me from like tarandrelle faster than my clan door will close and then they let in anyone else after them and im stuck inside.

isabel

Post by isabel » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:26 pm

I don't know why people are saying clan bases shouldn't be safe.

I think you all are confusing the risky hit at a clan head with clan base.

One of the biggest perks of being clanned is that you get a room where you can chill in safety , go for a bio break irl, take a break from pk, post nonsense on forums, go over a log, not have to 100% of the time be pking with your unique, chat with a newbie about what they need, check rerolls, talk to an imm, catch up with an oldbie who randomly logged in, RP on tells, write an RP story, check eq database for what setup you want to try or whatever else. Anyone on DS can do the same by sitting 1w shaidar or whatever.

How did it suddenly become some wazoo place to l33t skilz pk? That's what the clan head is for!

And if you spam perfectly to your clan room and people can walk in anyway because of the delay..that's really silly.

This whole "no place is safe" is the same logic razhak would use to kill people afk. Every game has a pause button - the clan room is the pause button.

Anyway the real problem is for people like me who have a tiny microsecond and sometimes not even that to spam into the clanroom before it shuts thanks to lag!

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 pm

isabel wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:26 pm
I don't know why people are saying clan bases shouldn't be safe.

I think you all are confusing the risky hit at a clan head with clan base.

One of the biggest perks of being clanned is that you get a room where you can chill in safety , go for a bio break irl, take a break from pk, post nonsense on forums, go over a log, not have to 100% of the time be pking with your unique, chat with a newbie about what they need, check rerolls, talk to an imm, catch up with an oldbie who randomly logged in, RP on tells, write an RP story or whatever else. Anyone on DS can do the same by sitting 1w shaidar or whatever.

How did it suddenly become some wazoo place to l33t skilz pk? That's what the clan head is for!

And if you spam perfectly to your clan room and people can walk in anyway because of the delay..that's really silly.

This whole "no place is safe" is the same logic razhak would use to kill people afk. Every game has a pause button - the clan room is the pause button.

Anyway the real problem is for people like me who have a tiny microsecond and sometimes not even that to spam into the clanroom before it shuts thanks to lag!
This all started because I try to use my clan rooms offensively due to the fact I have zero other mob support and am based out of a ctf city. I dont know how much others try to use clan rooms in pk. I would think most do not, as there are generally better options for them if they are looking to pk.

isabel

Post by isabel » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:39 pm

Sorry to double post but one more thing:

The clan area is not just some random zone. The whole RP of the books for light side has a Lot to do with defending the homeland. Manetheren made a stand there. Shadar Logoth fell to shame for that reason. Every single shred of heroic attributes derives from defending your land.

So it is actually awful for any clanned player to watch their city fall. To whatever extent we have game immersion we need to have the ability to make a tolerable stand (which is where Roberto's impulse came from it sounds like). That's also why a clan area is/needs to be much more a pk zone than a single room like the clan base.

The clan area is set up with varying degrees of fallback points and strategy so you can control the fight based on your mob strength and knowledge of the zone. But none of that applies to a single room like the clan room or a R8 room - and I don't think it should. Yes that creates a one off situational safety room but at that point it's really up to the player and whether they want to pursue their heroic RP or don't want to. I think that's fair that in the home zone - the only such zone in the game - you do have one safe room if you want to not pk or take a break or get some hps. Same with an ally offering you shelter in their room. These are game perks you've earned. Anywhere else on the game you don't have this option.

dorthy

Post by dorthy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:26 am

you shouldn't lose in your clan base unless you did something stupid or they have 10+

It's the one "safeish" space you should have. everywhere else should be a crap shoot. This coming from a gleeman should say something. ;)

Feneon

Post by Feneon » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:03 am

We spent some time discussing this upstairs and are in favor of moving from HP checks to NO QUIT checks across the board.

Often times the HP check just penalizes absers.

If you have a clan / rank 8 room that have an HP check let us know. Preferably through discord so we can put together a list and tackle it as it builds.

Feneon

Post by Feneon » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 pm

We've been adding these no quit checks to clan rooms that don't have them. This includes some of the northern clans. If you have a clan room that doesn't have a no quit check, please let us know. Or if you see someone escaping into an area. DM or post here.

vhalerie

Post by vhalerie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:31 pm

Rig following Elara into the clan base and then looting the herb chest on the way out is a perfect example of why this whole pk in the clan rooms thing is just dumb. If you want mobs then use the city, or use the cityhead. I don't get why rooms that are specifically designed for clan-based functions should allow access to anyone that follows them in to rob the clan, kill the clan members, and then have mobs open the door for them when a trolloc asks politely.

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:48 pm

Yea, i'm really bummed now that we're putting no-quit checks. This is the 4th time i've profited by following wisdoms into their clan rooms. Now my free potions are going to be locked away from me forever :(

langois

Post by langois » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:49 pm

vhalerie wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:31 pm
Rig following Elara into the clan base and then looting the herb chest on the way out is a perfect example of why this whole pk in the clan rooms thing is just dumb. If you want mobs then use the city, or use the cityhead. I don't get why rooms that are specifically designed for clan-based functions should allow access to anyone that follows them in to rob the clan, kill the clan members, and then have mobs open the door for them when a trolloc asks politely.
This is why clan doors have no quit check now. Had wisdoms self reported that their door didn’t have a no quit check then the garden would be lush and beautiful.

Lesson learned I say