Cumulative TPs or Kills List

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kiltwich

Re: Cumulative TPs or Kills List

Post by Kiltwich » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:29 pm

I like this idea.

The main issue with the ta'/sei'/rea lists is that it incentivies and rewards conservative play. It doesn't reward getting kills so much as it punishes you for dying. There's a place for it, and it certainly is an achievement to do... but fighting against the players who are trying to get higher on those lists gets boring when you know they aren't going to risk anything gets very stale.

My recommendation would be a kill counter for kills of targets above a TPS threshold -- we don't want people cheesing things by target hunting lowbies or a tally of killing weaklings count toward progress on this list.

glynn

Post by glynn » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:47 pm

I think people have missed a key part of the OP here, which is that the suggestion of tallying cumulative tps is different from tps, which we already have (via the current lists). I believe Kraig is asking for a value which only goes up when you earn tps, but does not go down when you lose tps. This list would recognize quality kills without rewarding conservative play.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:59 pm

Yes. And it could be reset every month or whenever. I think it would be more fun to see more movement in the lists from kills and not just because of playing conservatively or issuing tons of tokens.

I agree it would probably have some of the same players but if coding allowed to have no limit- you could list the top 100 players which would also be fun to see mobility of kills over the month.

As for cheating I think we would easily be able to call that out. I mean let’s be honest, if langois ends up as a major killer we know he’s just killing sorvitor over and over again.

I’m not entirely against not allowing bonused chars participate but I anticipate that would be a more coding nightmare - could remove bonuses char’s from reaping the benefit but would still be tracked. I.e if I top the list as Kryyg I don’t get the 10 qps or 10 tokens or 10000 gold. But if I did it on Matheus I would.

dorthy

Post by dorthy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:26 pm

this reminds me of when the local politicians ask to increase their yearly salary that's already pretty high and doesn't really help anybody except for the small group of other politicians that they work with (the tokens /qps/ other awards idea). Does nothing for the average joe, gives even more to people already on top. They do write songs about it being lonely at the top, or boring, for what it's worth so I will try to empathize as someone who is very not near the top. I do think it would be neat to see an all time kill counter/death counter for the top 10-25.

Thore

Post by Thore » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:11 pm

Clearly we need to implement a chess-like Elo system where each character starts with a 1200 rating and somehow group and solo kills are calculated and rewarded appropriately… but that sounds incredibly complex. We got any mathematicians here? :D

Edit: because let's be real, the elites just wanna see who's got the biggest… Elo.

Jork

Post by Jork » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:40 pm

Briannon wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:15 am
erulak wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:44 am
Would rather a running list of the 10 most recent cross-race kills on the game when you view struggle!

It's like Kryyg's idea, but better.
Do we really need to put in the coding effort just to see

1) Jork
2) Jork
3) Jork
4) Jork
5) Jork
6) Jork
7) Jork
8) Jork
9) Jork
10) Jork

? :D
Jork wonders who you even are, Jork knows those he fights and you are not one. Jork thinks putting his spork into you will not even be tasty but Jork is willing to spork you and see if he is wrong if you fight him.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:35 am

dorthy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:26 pm
this reminds me of when the local politicians ask to increase their yearly salary that's already pretty high and doesn't really help anybody except for the small group of other politicians that they work with (the tokens /qps/ other awards idea). Does nothing for the average joe, gives even more to people already on top. They do write songs about it being lonely at the top, or boring, for what it's worth so I will try to empathize as someone who is very not near the top. I do think it would be neat to see an all time kill counter/death counter for the top 10-25.
I agree. I’m indifferent to the reward and I don’t think /any real qps cash or token matters to me at all. I just like the cumulative kill