fireworks

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Harker

Re: fireworks

Post by Harker » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:58 pm

arston wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:56 pm
glynn wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:22 pm
As to the merits of todays request of imm's time...

I see a few common complaints here

1. The instigating incident here appears to be that a glass canon character on a player known to play conservatively played conservatively.

Lets just separate out the 'shame on player x for doing something with too many hps' part of the argument. Removing or reducing the effectiveness of escape mechanics is certainly not going to solve that gripe.

2. An item that is supposed to be rare is now less rare.

Yes, of course it is. It is the holidays and people got works in their presents. There were also probably a few that resulted from other rare load increases for the holidays. These are consumable and they are going to get consumed or otherwise disappear from game play. Give people a chance to experience the joy of something rare during the holidays without a knee jerk adjustment to base loads or the utility of that rare thing. It is certainly a waste of imms time to adjust the load before we return to equilibrium after the holidays.

3. Fireworks don't have a enough of a counter or a cost

Obviously there is a counter and a cost. There is a timer, so you can leave the room to avoid it, and there is a cost, a chance of blindness, deafness, damage, and an unknown final location. Also, again, it's consumed as soon as it is used. Perhaps these things need to be tweaked, but i think it is better to evaluate this in the context of the non holiday equilibrium of this consumable item. I'd add that increasing the cost will not solve what seems to be an underlying gripe here, which is that a conservative player played conservatively. If you increase the cost, conservative players are going to want to use them sooner.

My suggestion is that everybody practice some patience and play the game with the brief increase in fireworks and then evaluate once we've returned to equilibrium. There are a lot of things that need to be done to keep this game running and keep the general playerbase happy.
reported. Way too much logic, you arent allowed to make sense or use reasonable ideas on these threads.
+1

erulak

Post by erulak » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:42 pm

glynn wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:16 pm
I just wish game balance discussions and what is or isn't good in the game was a little less certain players knee jerk reactions to someone getting away who he thought shouldn't have.
Most of us have been around long enough to have been on every side of these things, benefiting from them and getting burned by them. Wouldn't presume a discussion about a mechanism that hasn't changed in 15+ years is a knee-jerk to any one thing.

glynn

Post by glynn » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:51 pm

Agreed, that was my own personal knee jerk reaction and didn't advance the discussion. I apologize for that.

I still think it's a bad idea to adjust the load until we get back to equilibrium. Probably a good idea to carefully consider whether changes to distance thrown, timer and cost are in line with the overall direction of the mud. Hard to evaluate the actual impact on gameplay at equilibrium, but not impossible.